New (2013) nMP eGPU User with Install

Notifications
Clear all

New (2013) nMP eGPU User with Install  

RSS

VmanJeff
(@vmanjeff)

Hello all and thank you for showing me the light on eGPU use! We shall see if it pays off in my application.From everything I've read it should.  OK.... So I did my homework AFAIK and choose my components. Here's what has happened and some limited observations and questions.... Spoiler alert - its working 🙂

2013 MacPro

OSX Catalina 10.15.3 (just came out after I backed up my system with Carbon Copy so I figured I better update before installing the eGPU so as not to have to deal with a system update after the install considering my experience level.)

Win10 for when I need it and to practice flying (via RealFlight RC flight sim) <-- HOPING to make this work with eGPU!

3.5GHz 6 core (Soon to be a 12 core 2.7GHz) Intel Xeon

AMD FirePro D500's

64gig RAM

1Tb Aura Pro internal SSD

3 - 4k monitors - 32in LG main display, 27in LG secondary display, 42in LG HDTV connected through Pioneer Elite surround sound amp (for timeline playback and surround sound mix check)

extra "stuff" --

QNAP NAS connected with Thunderbolt

OWC Helios PCIe eSATA equipped box with 4 RAID5 Sans Digital boxes for video storage

misc USB3 harddrives/scanners/etc connected through 13 port hub (incidentally, I believe I found the limit of nMP USB connectivity. She seems to reach a point on the hub and not allow any more devices. haven't riddled this out totally yet??)

I was going to purchase a new iMac but the 2019 iMac 5k didn't seem to have enough and the iMac Pro had too much! Mostly the hefty price tag. I stumbled across this forum wondering about all the chatter I was seeing about eGPU's. "They are just for laptops, right!?" Nope! I found out otherwise and so I now blame all of you for sending me (willingly!) down the eGPU path of 2013 MacPro life extension....

My goals --  

Take some video load off the Mac and hopefully distribute the Thunderbolt monitor/storage loads more evenly

Improve timeline playback during editing 4k and layered/graded video

Faster rendering

SO! I thought I had read enough and watched enough videos. I ended up with....

Razer Core X

XFX AMD Radeon VII

Totally REAL Apple (high priced) Thunderbolt3 to Thunderbolt2 adaptor and long Thunderbolt2 cable.

Using the beginners guide I started with all external Thunderbolt and USB devices disconnected except the main monitor (32in on T-bolt bus 1), mouse and keyboard via USB.

Booted and realized Safari was locked to the secondary monitor so I plugged that one into T-bolt bus 2 so I could read the guide.

I opened terminal and confirmed SIP was disabled via command line with the following - "csrutil status" (without quotes). You can also see the status form About This MAC/System Report and highlight Software. (I run TotalFinder and it needs SIP disabled so mine was)

Copied and pasted the PurgeWrangler script into terminal, entered my password.....and promptly did not read the instructions and just entered the install number (1??). The eGPU was sitting there ready but I did not turn it on so no auto identify! I already screwed up and figured I would have issues. I decided to just quit Terminal and start over. This time I turned on the eGPU at the proper time after connecting it to T-bolt bus 3 (the bottom 2 T-bolt ports horizontally are bus 3 along with the HDMI connection). The script ran and correctly identified the Radeon VII card. The install and system modification appeared to go smoothly just like the beginners guide Gif showed. I rebooted and computer came up normally! Unplugged the 32in monitor from T-bolt bus 1 and changed the cable to use top DisplayPort plug on Radeon VII. After some flashing the monitor came up and was now on Radeon graphics.

About this MAC/displays showed the Radeon VII as the 32in graphics and system info confirmed this with additional info about the card. The remove external GPU icon was in the menubar. (I mention this because it isn't there now?? Read on....

I was unsure how the external box would react to shutdowns and reboots as I never came across "use" in my reading so here it is.... My observations....

eGPU in T-bolt bus 3, 27in LG in T-bolt bus 2. I tried to plug the HDMI-amp-HDTV cable into the Radeon VII HDMI port and although the monitor seemed to be identified, I had no video. So I decided to unplug the eGPU and try it in bus 1 and plug the HDMI to HDTV cable into bus3/HDMI port.. Not thinking I just pulled the cable out of bus 3 and the eGPU unit immediately turned on all fans of the card. I plugged it into bus 1 and the fans stopped. After some flashing of screens the system seemed to settle down and was working. I plugged the HDMI cable into Bus3/HDMI and the HDTV monitor came to life. Again after much flashing and recognizing. But the system would hang on re-boot. I had read about this issue so I can confirm. Additionally I can confirm that bus 3 seems more eGPU friendly as after recabling, re-boots and cold boots would work fine with e eGPU on.

I used an active T-bolt to HDMI adaptor and a stable boot/re-bot is working with the following...

Bus1Plug1 --> T-bolt/HDMI adaptor to Amp to 42in HDTV

Bus1Plug2 --> NAS T-bolt connector

Bus2Plug1 --> T-bolt/Displayport adaptor to 27inLG 4k

Bus2Plug2 --> T-bolt to OWC Helios and RAID5 storage (on/off as needed)

Bus3Plug2 --> eGPU to 32in LG monitor (designated as main monitor in prefs)

This setup seems to be operating stable. I got bold and added all the other external connections after arriving at the monitor config. But when I turn off the system the eGPU card fans would go to high speed. Not knowing if this was just a coldown process I let them go for around 20minutes and figured the Razer would shut down the box and wait for the next computer session. I guess there is no auto off or sleep on this setup and I will have to physically turn off the eGPU after shutting down the computer each session??

Thinking that might be what the "remove eGPU" menu item was for I re-booted and after waiting a fair amount of time I removed (disabled) the eGPU fro the pulldown and shut off the computer after my monitor blanked conforming the eGPU had been removed. This did not work as the fans started at computer shutdown immediately. So again, I guess turning on/off the eGPU must be added to my startup/shutdown sequence of actions??

The byproduct here is that menu item is no longer there?? So should I re-install the GPU with PurgeWrangler?

Other observations to come but I have noticed the system is running cooler. I have an old Radio Shack probe temp gage with the probe stuck inside the top of the Trashcans lip. Before eGPU temps would range from 99 to 115 no matter the load on the system. Of course, lower temps when doing light work like writing this post. Now temps are at 94 to 97 with light work. I haven't got to the editing and re]ndering phase here so I'll need to report back.

The boot process and overall system response seems zippier.

So the questions so far are....

How to get the remove (disable) eGPU menu idem back.

How to use more than 1 monitor with the eGPU.

How to send tasks to the eGPU for processing/rendering. Although I suppose I will find this out in the preferences of the program I am using (Premiere Pro, Final cut, After Effects, etc.)

Thanks for reading! And for the help in setting this up!

This topic was modified 2 months ago

Mac 2013 nMP 12 core Xeon, 48Gig RAM, 1Tb SSD, AMD FirePro D500 (2) internal GPU
eGPU --> Razer Core X Chroma, AMD Radeon VII, attached through T-bolt3 to T-bolt 2 adaptor attached to T-bolt bus0Port6

ReplyQuote
VmanJeff
(@vmanjeff)

First Update...

I'm not a rocket scientist so I'm just sharing thoughts. Computers passed me by a long while ago! Gone are the days of building, and understanding, them in a fairly intimate manner.... That said...

Premiere Pro was WAY choppy. I set "prefer eGPU" in the app info and played around with all the settings I could think of. The only thing I can conclude was the video was being sent to the eGPU then back through the T-bolt cable to make its way out the MacPro's HDMI out. Then through the amp and to the monitor. Something in that chain couldn't handle the bandwidth. This happened for old MTV music videos in mov format to new 4k video in mov format. I believe h264. So I guess I should say H264 in an mov container??!! So this was unsatisfying and I went searching for HDMI out from the eGPU Radeon VII.

Got HDMI out on the Radeon VII working.

It seems my amplifier was the block from seeing any video from the eGPU HDMI out. I don't know why. Should have passed the signal through. Its only about 4 years old? Might not have liked the 60Hz output. I connected an HDMI cable directly from the Radeon VII to the HDTV and that worked. The puzzle then was how to get the sound to the amp. I connected an HDMI cable from the MacPro HDMI out to the amp and after more flashing and setting up monitors it seemed to work.  So what is happening is the system thinks there is a 4th monitor on the system. This actually works out since I need to go into the amps menus at times to change things. Just connect the eGPU to HDTV input 1 and the Amp to HGTV input 2. Switch the TV inputs to view/adjust whatever you need and you're done. I set the resolution for the Amp out to the lowest available in Mac Prefs so as not to put unneeded stress on the system. Seems to be working.

Premiere Pro clip and timeline playback is now smooth. Further tweeting to follow but I think I'm getting there...

So I don't want 4 monitors on the system but for now that seems to be what is working. I'll investigate the Amp and see if I need to upgrade it.

so...

eGPU --> main LG 32in

eGPU --> HDMI out to HDTV @ 60Hz

nMP D500 --> secondary 27in LG monitor

nMP D500 --> HDMI out to Amp and second input on HGTV

Mac 2013 nMP 12 core Xeon, 48Gig RAM, 1Tb SSD, AMD FirePro D500 (2) internal GPU
eGPU --> Razer Core X Chroma, AMD Radeon VII, attached through T-bolt3 to T-bolt 2 adaptor attached to T-bolt bus0Port6

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@vmanjeff It's best to start with only the eGPU until you get it running stable. Ideally all monitor outputs should come from the eGPU. If your monitors have DisplayPort input, use it over HDMI. Port 5 & 6 through Thunderbolt Bus #0 is best for the eGPU connection (bottom row). Make sure you set one of the eGPU connected monitor as primary display in System Preferences so apps would launch through it and powered by the eGPU. Once you get the nMP + Radeon VII eGPU going well, you can start connecting the other peripherals.

I have a 2013 Mac Pro running with Radeon VII for the past 6 months. The cooling fans running full-speed when the computer goes into sleep/off is a known issue. This is due to the firmware on the Radeon VII not able to communicate with the USB-C controller on the eGPU enclosure. There's only two enclosures I tested that can sleep the Radeon VII properly, NetStor HL23T-Plus and Razer Core V2. I don't connect any monitors directly to the Mac Pro when eGPU is in use. The only time the dGPU powers a monitor is during macOS system updates. I learned it the hard way and corrupted the firmware. Here's my 2013 Mac Pro + Radeon VII build that documented the process.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: @vmanjeff

The byproduct here is that menu item is no longer there?? So should I re-install the GPU with PurgeWrangler ?

That's an odd issue. You could try the following:

1. Run uninstall option in script.
  2. Reset NVRAM & SMC (google for your Mac if not familiar).
  3. Re-disable SIP (needs to be done after NVRAM reset).
  4. Re-install script.

If you still come across this issue, please share logs with eGPU connected. Logs can be generated from the script's More Options menu.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
VmanJeff
(@vmanjeff)

Posted by: @itsage

@vmanjeff It's best to start with only the eGPU until you get it running stable. Ideally all monitor outputs should come from the eGPU. If your monitors have DisplayPort input, use it over HDMI. Port 5 & 6 through Thunderbolt Bus #0 is best for the eGPU connection (bottom row). Make sure you set one of the eGPU connected monitor as primary display in System Preferences so apps would launch through it and powered by the eGPU. Once you get the nMP + Radeon VII eGPU going well, you can start connecting the other peripherals.

I have a 2013 Mac Pro running with Radeon VII for the past 6 months. The cooling fans running full-speed when the computer goes into sleep/off is a known issue. This is due to the firmware on the Radeon VII not able to communicate with the USB-C controller on the eGPU enclosure. There's only two enclosures I tested that can sleep the Radeon VII properly, NetStor HL23T-Plus and Razer Core V2. I don't connect any monitors directly to the Mac Pro when eGPU is in use. The only time the dGPU powers a monitor is during macOS system updates. I learned it the hard way and corrupted the firmware. Here's my 2013 Mac Pro + Radeon VII build that documented the process.

@itsage  you have answered a question I had from the beginning! The card has 4 outputs...but can I use more than one of them. Thank you for that! I was of the impression I needed to spread the load across busses and one T-bolt bus connection to the Radeon to 3 monitors was not computing!  

I did not mean to imply I was having stability issues. The setups I was trying were solely to maintain my 5.1 channel audio out. It was set up to output to the HDMI port of the nMP and then through the amplifier. to the HDTV (no DisplayPort connection to it) That way I could mix surround sound in Premiere Pro and check my mix as I edited. Initially the HDMI out from the Radeon going through the Amp was not working because the Amp would not pass a 60Hz signal. It must be too old. The flashing I spoke of when trying different combinations was more syncing of displays as I plugged and re-plugged to find combos that worked. The system had already been run with just the one monitor connected to the Radeon VII and booted, re-booted several times. I also did some work while I waited to see what might happen. I DID jump the gun and connect everything else when I saw the system was actually not giving me any hiccups that I could see. One reason I did that was to begin tests on playback in Premiere Pro. It was poor at first but I worked that out when I direct connected the HDTV to the HDMI out of the Radeon. But then I still had the problem of how to get the audio out. The mini jack of the MacPro does not put out digital audio so I need to get my multichannel audio out through either the HDMI of the nMP or through a T-bolt port to HDMI convertor. And come to think of it I think I'll try that since I took your idea and moved all the connections (via DP except the HDMI to HGTV) to the Radeon and it seems just fine at this point.

In fact....that worked like a charm.  So unless there's a better way to get multi-channel audio out of the nMP here is what I have considering your suggestions....

eGPU --> main LG 32in via DP

eGPU --> HDMI out to HDTV @ 60Hz

eGPU --> secondary 27in LG monitor

nMP D500 --> T-bolt bus1Port1 to HDMI converter, out to Amp and second input on HGTV

Now the question is will the card still play back my timelines reliably and render faster. Playback being the higher importance here.

And I read your build! First one I read because your system was a close match to my planned build.  

So how do you handle the fan issue?  I was wondering weather to leave the fan on for a time after shutdown for cooling as I haven't seen them come on during use yet and was wondering. But I haven't pushed the card yet either. Do you just turn the enclosure off after the computer shuts down?

Thanks for the help!

This post was modified 2 months ago

ReplyQuote
VmanJeff
(@vmanjeff)

@mac_editor

I did uninstall PurgeWrangler and reinstall before I saw your post...but I did not do a Reset NVRAM & SMC.  After the second install when the menu did not return I did save a log file if you might like to see that. I have the zip file right here 🙂

Or I can do the complete uninstall/reinstall as you suggest above in the morning....

@itsage

The two enclosures you speak of... NetStor HL23T-Plus and Razer Core V2 .... I can't seem to find the Netstor except on the company page. Is the Razer Core V2 the Chroma? The one with the USB's and 10Gb network on back?

https://www.amazon.com/Razer-Chroma-Aluminum-External-Enclosure/dp/B07Q78VMPW/

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@vmanjeff I don't know if the NetStor HL23T-Plus and Razer Core V2 are available new. Those are the two enclosures I'm currently using to house my two Radeon VII and they have no fan issues when the host computer is asleep/off. I've read reports about the Razer Core X Chroma has no fan issue with Radeon VII but can't confirm because I no longer have that enclosure.

ReplyQuote
VmanJeff
(@vmanjeff)

@itsage

Ok thank you. I don’t sleep my computer and when I’m not working with it, it’s off. It’s not too big a deal to just reach around the Razor and turn it off to. A little inconvenient but.... I was doing video on an Amiga Toaster Flyer back when EVERYTHING was inconvenient. Lol

@mac_editor

I’ve been doing much reconfiguring and testing and left the steps you desxribed to the back burner (meaning for tomorrow). But through all my fiddling around I had goofed and put the eGOU in the wrong T-bolt port and was greeted with a no booting system. I found the problem and plugged the cable into the correct bottom T-bolt connection and when I booted up (normally!) the disable GPU icon and menu item were there. 
No more messing or reboots today. So I couldn’t verify it’s sticking around. And now I’m second guessing myself that it was there the whole time and I just didn’t see it.  IDK....!

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

And now I’m second guessing myself that it was there the whole time and I just didn’t see it.  IDK....!

Maybe this is indeed the case. I can’t imagine a situation (and have never heard one) where it was appearing before and then didn’t. It may be possible that some menu bar icons are not shown if you have way too many (it is also possible to “delete” the eGPU icon from menu bar - but it reappears next boot IIRC).

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@vmanjeff How has your eGPU setup been working? We'd love to see a build guide once you have a chance.

ReplyQuote
VmanJeff
(@vmanjeff)

@vmanjeff How has your eGPU setup been working? We'd love to see a build guide once you have a chance.

@itsage Hey I was just thinking about you!  (and Mac_Editor )....

OK... So I think things have been stable and working OK. It's kind of a mixed bag for me though as the primary purpose was to get Premiere Pro PLAYBACK stable without dropped frames and then secondary was faster renders.  For these two goals I'm gonna have to say it was a non-starter. I'm still working with Premieres settings to optimize depending on my source material but I'm finding overall the program won't stop dropping frames nor render any faster for the most part. But I'm sure SOME of this is me and my settings. I also know from reading that Premiere has poor support and use of eGPU's at this point. I can confirm that with Activity Monitor/GPU History. Little if any activity on any GPU, internal D500's or eGPU Radeon VII . No matter the settings in "About" when right click on the program icon, or in program settings "render"...use Metal or Use OpenGL (hardware) or Use Open GL (use Software). I even read a post that suggested Premiere Pro 2020 was broken and Premiere Pro 2019 fixed the issue for the most part with that user. So I installed 2019. It seemed to help but not much.

LOTS of CPU activity for playback and rendering on both 2020 and 2019.

BTW..... I upgraded my 6 core to a 12 core CPU over the weekend. Same results as above. I dig that teardown, though! It was fun. So....

As far as the eGPU setup I have (Razor with Radeon VII , T-bolt 3 to T-bolt 2 adaptor, plug in eGPU on bus 0 (bottom row of Thunderbolt ports on 2013 nMP , PurgeWrangler script) I feel it has been very stable. As you can see above I've been in Premiere a lot over the last 4 - 5 days and in Win10 also (more on that below) trying to work out so issues with other tasks besides the eGPU. All the while the eGPU has operated without flaw except for that annoying fan start-up when I shut down. But as I said I just turn the eGPU off after a few minutes (and the DISAPPEARING "Disconnect Radeon VII GPU" titlebar menu item!) Yes @mac_editor , the menu item was NOT there on boot this morning?! but as I began making my way toward trying automate-eGPU-efi  to attempt a Win10 eGPU boot, I ran into a problem with using the USB boot menu....again, see below.... so when the frozen computer was rebooted, the disconnect eGPU menu was back again. I even removed a couple items from that menu that I never use to see if it was a space thing.  Here's the set-up I'm running....

2013 nMP (now) 12 core 48gig RAM, 1Tb Aura Pro x2 SSD internal boot drive

Razer Core X with XFX Radeon VII

PurgeWrangler

3 monitor system with following connections -

1 - Top Graphics card DP connector --> 32in LG HD monitor used as Primary

2 - next Graphics card DP connector --> empty as it seemed to not work when HDMI port was in use

3 - Next Graphics card DP connector --> 27in LG HD monitor

4 - Bottom Graphics card HDMI connector --> Direct connect to 47in LG HDTV

2013 nMP connections - 

Looking at the back I would number all connectors

ReplyQuote
VmanJeff
(@vmanjeff)

2013  nMP  connections - 

Looking at the back I would number all connectors left to right, top to bottom.... DISREGARD any previous posts by me assigning bus and port numbers to the T-bolt connections. The names below are correct referring to Apples nMP port assignments per this Apple document https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202801

1 USB --> external SSD

2 USB --> unused*

3 USB --> external hub with harddrives, diskdrive and misc USB devices as needed

4 USB --> keyboard

5 T-bolt (bus1Port1) --> T-bolt to HDMI converter to Amplifier**

6 T-bolt (bus2Port2) --> empty (reserved 😉

7 T-bolt (bus1Port3) --> OWC Helios 1 slot PCIe box to RAID5 storage farm

8 T-bolt (bus2Port4) --> T-bolt 2 cable to T-bolt2-to-T-bolt3 adapter to NAS for T-bolt transfers

9 or 10 (bus0Port5&6) --> eGPU (use on either port)

11 HDMI connector --> Empty

Notes -

*I have a suspicion I either have overloaded the USB capabilities of this system or semi-fried USB#2 as it seems to exhibit strange behavior when used. Or the current HUB config is not allowing more direct plug-in devices??  

**T-bolt # 5 T-bolt (bus1Port1) used for multi-channel audio out to amplifier. This is the only way I know to get digital audio out of the nMP without changing the Amp I already have. The HDMI connection from the Radeon VII sends 60Hz 4k video to the HDTV but my amp will not pass 60Hz. Therefore nMP T-bolt #5 T-bolt (bus1Port1) is used to output audio as set in MIDI control found in Applications/Utilities.  Normal sound is set in Prefs with system sound assigned to 32in LG and output audio assigned to the DP (T-bolt) #5 T-bolt (bus1Port1). The side perk (if you can call it one!) is that this connection also shows up on the HDTV monitor on input 2 as a 1920x1080 30Hz signal. 

The HDTV is intended for Premiere Pro playback monitoring and as such PP can be set to display either the eGPU HDMI out or the nMP HDMI out. Neither display setting seems to affect system ability and headroom. Nor affect my ability to get a smooth running Premiere experience.

I tried Da Vinci Resolve and my limited experience with the trial showed better results as Resolve takes advantage of eGPU's. I might try Final Cut but I;'m not inclined to pay $300 just to see. If there was a demo or another user who could drop a note on this I would be happy!

To this point I do not have a working Bootcamp Win10 eGPU experience. But I can boot to Win10 without changing up monitors as the nMP #5 T-bolt (bus1Port1) connection to the Amplifier thankfully allows that. Under normal operation in MacOS I can switch between the HDTV eGPU and nMP desktops (without disturbing the Mac main and secondary monitors) by using the TV remote to simply switch between input 1 and input 2 on the TV. What use this is is debatable (at least for me).  But if I want to boot into Win10 Bootcamp I switch the TV input to nMP and re-boot the Mac holding down the Option key. The main and secondary monitors blank and eventually the HDTV shows the boot men. I simply choose efi to boot from (This menu used to show "windows" as an option but somewhere after Mavericks and a Win10 re-install it just shows efi and I cannot seem to change it. There were also nice icons in the boot menu at one time but there are gone now too, replaced with the tired yellow HD icons.....its the little things 🙂 So I select efi and I can boot into Win10 which is displayed on the HDTV. The other two monitors are sadly blank for the time being. And Win10 can be operated normally from here but its kinda uncomfortable since that TV is hung above the other two.

Which leads me to my questions for @itsage and @mac_editor     I see itsage has had some success running an eGPU with Bootcamp Win10 on a nMP. I began this journey this morning.....

Which leads me to my questions for @itsage and @mac_editor     I see  itsage  has had some success running an eGPU with Bootcamp Win10 on a  nMP . I began this journey this morning.....

It seems I need to format a USB stick in Fat32 and put Automate-eGPU EFI on the stick and bot from that. First question is the directory tree for this... 

stick--(folder)EFI--(folder)Boot

--(folder)Clover

Or put the folders at the root. Silly, I know....

So I have both on my stick and re-booted holding down option with the eGPU DISCONNECTED. I get to the start-up screen and select the Automate-eGPU efi boot and see the load screen where it says my system and then "no eGPU found". I press "q" and go to the menu and select windows and it freezes. Same behavior when selecting mac. So I plug in the eGPU and same behavior in both selections.

I then tried the reset command and re-booted to Mac. Well this is when my eGPU HDMI connection failed and did not return. I checked all connections and shut down. Restarted and the eGPU HDMI connection reset upon desktop load AND the "disconnect eGPU" menu item was back ??? (told you I'd get back to it)

So I seem to remember I need to copy my efi partition to the stick (which I did not do). But IDK.  So where it go from here??

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

The disk labels are created with the bless command:

bless -folder /Volumes/EFI/EFI/BOOT -label "automate-eGPU"

The disk labels might not work for the EFI partition, but they will work for a different MS-DOS (FAT32) partition (so you don't see "EFI Boot" in the Startup Manager (hold Option key at startup).

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@vmanjeff Boot Camp eGPU setup is a convoluted process for many Macs, especially so for the 2013 Mac Pro. For several years the firmware actually blocks the use of eGPU in Boot Camp. Fortunately newer firmware came out right around Catalina launch that removed this restriction. You can read through this discussion where several nMP users, myself included were able to get it working after disabling multiple PCIe root ports as well as using automate-eGPU EFI boot loader.

ReplyQuote
VmanJeff
(@vmanjeff)

@vmanjeff Boot Camp eGPU setup is a convoluted process for many Macs, especially so for the 2013 Mac Pro. For several years the firmware actually blocks the use of eGPU in Boot Camp. Fortunately newer firmware came out right around Catalina launch that removed this restriction. You can read through this discussion where several nMP users, myself included were able to get it working after disabling multiple PCIe root ports as well as using automate-eGPU EFI boot loader.

Thank you @joevt  It made more sense as I thought about it and read your post.

@itsage  I'm reading through that post now. But still stuck on automate.egpu menu screen. When I select either boot option (win or Mac), automate.egpu freezes and a hard reboot is the only thing that works. I think I'm missing some files. I'll keep researching.

And to be more precise... I used terminal to make the thumb drive with itsage's installer then removed "apple_set_os.efi" as noted in https://egpu.io/forums/bootcamp/mac-pro-6-1-rx-580-egpu-bootcamp-success-somehow/

Plowing through that post now it find hints as to why its freezing on me.

I've been through Device manager on the Win10 Bootcqamp side and see no triangles (yellow bangs as I've now been initiated to :-)) And I really think Windows just doesn't see the eGPU at all so I am at a loss as to my next step. I assumed automate.egpu would get me a step further but ??!!

ReplyQuote
VmanJeff
(@vmanjeff)

OK...before I forget what I did here's what I did 🙁

Reading all the info gets confusing and starts to seem like a circle with links to links to !! So my references here are a bit lacking. But it was a bust anyway to this point....

I've read where build 1903 was a problem and where it was not a problem so I wasn't sure. I decided to proceed anyway.

I decided that my inability to get Automate-eGPU EFI to get past the terminal menu option to boot Windows (or Mac) was probably due to not having the DSDT file(s) in the Windows directory of the tool. So I had also read somewhere that there was no need to compile the override since pre-compiled versions were at this link https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9xrm0bg8jj0z5/DSDT_override_resources

So I got the one for the 2013 MacPro and corrected the name of the modified file and put all the files in Automate-eGPU EFI under EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/WINDOWS  

Tried to run Automate-eGPI EFI again but it would just hang when i selected "windows" for boot. I also read some things which led me to believe it needed pointed to my EFI directory for boot but IDK??

So I booted Win10 and went to Device Manager and found the entry that was probably the eGPU. The only little yellow triangle in the tree. Under the PCI-to-PCI Bridges. I found in a post where certain PCI-toPCI Bridges were disabled to allow the eGPU to be 'seen' so I did that.

• PCI bus 17, device 10, function 0
  • PCI Slot 4 (PCI bus 21, device 5, function 0)
  • PCI bus 0, device 30, function 0

This one was also in the list but under it in the tree was a Thunderbolt entry and I wasn't sure if disabling it would affect that connection so I did not disable

• PCI bus 21, device 0, function 0

And now I'm not sure 100% which one I did not disable but It turns out that just disabling three was enough to remove the triangle from the eGPU entry.

Not too sure where to go I decided to reboot. Windows booted normally and actually found the Razer Core X Chroma, put up a nice splash screen and said it was setting up the device. It finished setting up and notified me of such. But within 12.24 seconds my screen went blank and did not come back. I did a hard reboot and made it restart 3 times to get to automatic repair. Booted in safe mode and having the USB stick inserted navigated to the DSDT directory and in terminal I ran the bat file thinking I would enable the correct memory allocation and be good to go. The file ran and it seemed successful but again I was at a loss as to either run the video driver uninstall or reboot to check on memory space and then run the uninstall. I decided to reboot but that just sent me in an endless loop of Automatic repair. Safe mode would not work. It errors with a "ACPI BIOS ERROR" and the restore point I created would error out near its end so no dice there. I even went to command prompt and hurt my brain remembering how to navigate through there! But I got to the DSDT directory and uninstalled it. But I am still in an endless loop of "fix-it's".

So I would hope someone comes along and points me in the right direction.  LOL  It was so cool seeing that splash screen 😉

I have a Winclone image waiting in case I need it but its not current....  Should have made a current one....

ReplyQuote
VmanJeff
(@vmanjeff)

@itsage I know you guys are running a pretty big forum but could you take a quick look at my post above and confirm I either can fix that issue through some means or that I need to re-install Windows. I might just do there-install and move back to the version that seems to be working...

Thanks!!

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@vmanjeff I tried Boot Camp eGPU on my nMP last year but have not tried recently. What I recall necessary was Win10 1809 and automate-eGPU EFI boot loader with the pre-compiled dsdt.aml file. I also disabled some PCI Express root ports to finally get the eGPU going. Also Windows 10 1903 was attempted but eGPU failed to work using the same procedure.

My recommendation is to get back to 1809 version. Try booting into Windows with the automate-eGPU EFI boot loader without eGPU connected. Once you can successfully boot into Windows through it and confirm there's Large Memory allocation, you can proceed to cold-boot with the eGPU connected. I don't have a nMP Boot Camp guide but this 2016 15-in MacBook Pro build guide details a very similar setup procedure (skip the part about enabling iGPU). 

ReplyQuote
VmanJeff
(@vmanjeff)

@itsage

Thank you sir!

It seems that Automate-eGPU EFI doesn’t work on my system. I can see it’s prompts when I run it from the startup menu but when I click “Windows” for startup it does nothing. Freezes and I need to hard reboot. 
another thing I’m not clear on is if I need to make my own DSDT file or use the one found online from Nando4
Then how to place the file. I’ll read the link you provided and re-read the DSDT override thread. Also the Automate-eGPU thread. 
The order in which to apply these steps is a little confusing. But since I couldn’t get Automate-eGPU to run I manually ran what I though was the correct file for DSDT override from command line in Win10. But on reboot I couldn’t get back in. 
anyway, I’ll try the previous Win build and work from there. 
thanks again

ReplyQuote
VmanJeff
(@vmanjeff)

@itsage

@mac_editor

OK I took a break from all this as it was driving me nuts. But on a lark during a cold rainy day I decided to disable some PCI to PCI bridges as explained by @AJ_Scarcella on his Bootcamp eGPU Setup post for nMP. I figured since this got me ahead when I was running Win10 build 1903 that I would do it again. But ultimately attempting DSDT override gave me a bricked Bootcamp.

I downgraded Win10 to build 1809 as per the downloads page in this forum. But could not get automate eGPU to work. Possibly because of Catalinas was of using EFI and Apples change to APFS volumes. IDK, couldn't find any info or help to get her to boot with automate eGPU.  Also no DSDT override or any other modifications suggested in various posts were done.

Just disable several PCI to PIC Bridges and see if error 12 would go away.

It did on the second disable. On the third disable my screen flickered and boom....eGPU!

I know much more info is needed but at this point I'll share this...

Disabled (in this order)....

PCI Slot 4 (PCI Bus 21, Device 5, Function 0)

PCI bus 0, Device 30, Function 0

At this point I noticed the yellow triangle on the PIC bus with the eGPU went away. Encouraged I disabled....

PCI Bus 17, Device 10, Function 0

Thats when the screen blanked and a few moments later the eGPU was identified and all three monitors came to life.

To digress I have two monitors hooked up to the eGPU via DP. A 32in LG and a 27in LG. A third display (HDTV) hooked up via eGPU HDMI and also through a separate HDMI coming from the nMP T-bolt Bus1Port1 to an HDMI converter to an external surround amplifier to the HDTV. This is the connection I need to use to boot into win10 as the eGPU was not working. I needed Win10 for various vdeo production reasons so even though the eGPU did not work, the desktop on the HDTV was an OK interim.

So when I disabled the third PCI to PCI Bridge the nMP T-bolt port stopped working and the HDTV went blank. But the other two monitors sprand to life and I though maybe the HDTV connection to the eGPU would also be active now. It was so I have 3 displays through the eGPU at this point.

Some problems I'm seeing.....

In display settings I cannot change the custom scale factor

The audio to the amplifier no longer works (probably because one of the internal GPU's is now yellow triangled in Device Manager) But I was able to change the audio out to the HDMI output of the Radeon VII) That same internal GPU's is now showing error 43. I think I get why. I need to update the drivers with BootCampDrivers latest.....

There may be more but I'm just happy to get this far as it will make it a lot easier to do my video processing work!

My fear now is.... This all just happeded. I have not rebooted the system "for changes to take effect". I know this might solve a problem or two listed above but !! Basking in this success at this moment ...lol

I would question where to go from here.... From my reading it would seem I need to DDU (in safe mode??) and then install BootCampDrivers version.

Here's some screenshots .... Then I'll reboot....and pray

Annotation 2020 02 19 091851
Annotation 2020 02 19 075815
Annotation 2020 02 19 075737
Annotation 2020 02 19 080907
Annotation 2020 02 19 084551

ReplyQuote
VmanJeff
(@vmanjeff)

@itsage

@mac_editor

OK I took a break from all this as it was driving me nuts. But on a lark during a cold rainy day I decided to disable some PCI to PCI bridges as explained by @AJ_Scarcella on his Bootcamp eGPU Setup post for nMP. I figured since this got me ahead when I was running Win10 build 1903 that I would do it again. But ultimately attempting DSDT override gave me a bricked Bootcamp.

<snip>

Here's some screenshots .... Then I'll reboot....and pray

Annotation 2020 02 19 091851
Annotation 2020 02 19 075815
Annotation 2020 02 19 075737
Annotation 2020 02 19 080907

OK.… I'm still here! Reboot and I can run win10 Build 1809 with all screens on eGPU.  

As expected, when booting I need to change the HDTV to the nMP monitor connection and press "option" to get to the boot menu. Select EFI (for my Windows partition) then watch the HDTV screen as Win starts up. at some point when it is loaded sufficiently, the screen goes blank and the two monitors come to life and the login screen is shown via my 32in LG connected through the eGPU. When I switch the HDTV input to the eGPU it is active.

Awaiting further instructions, sirs..... LOL

ReplyQuote
AJ Scarcella
(@aj_scarcella)
Trusted Member

So are you free of issues at the moment? I believe that you won’t see the bootscreen through an eGPU so you’ll always need to switch to an output direct from the nMP to see it. 

Generally, I think the issue with getting eGPU on the nMP working under Bootcamp is memory management. As of right now, I don’t think I’m using a DSDT override - I can’t remember if I’m doing an override through some other method, but I’m definitely not using automate-eGPU EFI anymore for Mac or Windows. Windows has been maybe 90-95% solid, stability wise but from my rudimentary testing, having a lot of peripherals running into the system when booting Windows will cause various issues that I assume are due to memory management. Once Windows boots and assigns memory to the eGPU properly, you should be fine plugging in other stuff. 

Basically, since I got Windows running on the latest version after disabling a bunch of PCI devices, my setup has been stable and has survived some Windows updates and driver updates. Caveat emptor, of course (and maybe I’m angering the eGPU gods by claiming all is well!). 

Mac Pro 2013
OWC Mercury Helios FX
Radeon RX 580 8GB

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
VmanJeff
(@vmanjeff)

@aj_scarcella,  Well I booted into both the Mac and Win sides several times today and no issues that I can see except for what I stated above. And yes, only an nMP connected monitor/HDTV will show the boot menu.

As far as attached peripherals.... There are 4 external HD's, an SSD and a Blu-ray burner. I have a RAID farm attached through eSATA to an external PCIe to T-bolt box (OWC Helios) but only the box comes on with the system. The RAID boxes are only on for video editing use. The only other connection is T-bolt to NAS. And that connection doesn't work in Win10 but that might be a different issue and I was more interested to get the eGPU up and running.

So I did not disconnect anything to get the eGPU working. Just disable the PCI to PIC bridges.

I'm just a little nervous to uninstall the bootcamp provided video drivers and install BootCampDrivers version. It could solve my issues or send me back to square one!  But that's not so bad as I really don't have a lot on the Win install yet. I do need to use it for VirtualDUB though....

EDIT - Just booted into Win10 again and I do not have audio. It will play through the trashcan but no other way so I'm gonna need to try some video drivers, I guess. Just wondering what procedure might be recommended.

ReplyQuote