New (2013) nMP eGPU User with Install  

of  3
  RSS

VmanJeff
(@vmanjeff)

Posted by: @vmanjeff

@itsage

@mac_editor

OK I took a break from all this as it was driving me nuts. But on a lark during a cold rainy day I decided to disable some PCI to PCI bridges as explained by @AJ_Scarcella on his Bootcamp eGPU Setup post for nMP. I figured since this got me ahead when I was running Win10 build 1903 that I would do it again. But ultimately attempting DSDT override gave me a bricked Bootcamp.

<snip>

Here's some screenshots .... Then I'll reboot....and pray

Annotation 2020 02 19 091851
Annotation 2020 02 19 075815
Annotation 2020 02 19 075737
Annotation 2020 02 19 080907
Annotation 2020 02 19 084551

Annotation 2020 02 19 084551

OK.… I'm still here! Reboot and I can run win10 Build 1809 with all screens on eGPU.  

As expected, when booting I need to change the HDTV to the nMP monitor connection and press "option" to get to the boot menu. Select EFI (for my Windows partition) then watch the HDTV screen as Win starts up. at some point when it is loaded sufficiently, the screen goes blank and the two monitors come to life and the login screen is shown via my 32in LG connected through the eGPU. When I switch the HDTV input to the eGPU it is active.

Awaiting further instructions, sirs..... LOL

NEW = 27” 2019 iMac i9, 1Tb SSD, 128gig ram, Tb3 port to OWC Thunderbolt3 ProDock to OWC Helios PCIe for eSATA, Tb3 port to Razer Chroma w/AMD Radeon VII, connected via DP to 32” 4K monitor and via HDMI to 47” 4k TV Monitor
Internal Vega 48 for iMac display
OLD = Mac 2013 nMP 12 core Xeon, 48Gig RAM, 1Tb SSD, AMD FirePro D500 (2) internal GPU
eGPU --> Razer Core X Chroma, AMD Radeon VII, attached through T-bolt3 to T-bolt 2 adaptor attached to T-bolt bus0Port6

ReplyQuote
AJ Scarcella
(@aj_scarcella)
Trusted Member

So are you free of issues at the moment? I believe that you won’t see the bootscreen through an eGPU so you’ll always need to switch to an output direct from the nMP to see it. 

Generally, I think the issue with getting eGPU on the nMP working under Bootcamp is memory management. As of right now, I don’t think I’m using a DSDT override - I can’t remember if I’m doing an override through some other method, but I’m definitely not using automate-eGPU EFI anymore for Mac or Windows. Windows has been maybe 90-95% solid, stability wise but from my rudimentary testing, having a lot of peripherals running into the system when booting Windows will cause various issues that I assume are due to memory management. Once Windows boots and assigns memory to the eGPU properly, you should be fine plugging in other stuff. 

Basically, since I got Windows running on the latest version after disabling a bunch of PCI devices, my setup has been stable and has survived some Windows updates and driver updates. Caveat emptor, of course (and maybe I’m angering the eGPU gods by claiming all is well!). 

Mac Pro 2013
OWC Mercury Helios FX
Radeon RX 580 8GB

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
VmanJeff
(@vmanjeff)

@aj_scarcella,  Well I booted into both the Mac and Win sides several times today and no issues that I can see except for what I stated above. And yes, only an nMP connected monitor/HDTV will show the boot menu.

As far as attached peripherals.... There are 4 external HD's, an SSD and a Blu-ray burner. I have a RAID farm attached through eSATA to an external PCIe to T-bolt box (OWC Helios) but only the box comes on with the system. The RAID boxes are only on for video editing use. The only other connection is T-bolt to NAS. And that connection doesn't work in Win10 but that might be a different issue and I was more interested to get the eGPU up and running.

So I did not disconnect anything to get the eGPU working. Just disable the PCI to PIC bridges.

I'm just a little nervous to uninstall the bootcamp provided video drivers and install BootCampDrivers version. It could solve my issues or send me back to square one!  But that's not so bad as I really don't have a lot on the Win install yet. I do need to use it for VirtualDUB though....

EDIT - Just booted into Win10 again and I do not have audio. It will play through the trashcan but no other way so I'm gonna need to try some video drivers, I guess. Just wondering what procedure might be recommended.

This post was modified 1 year ago

NEW = 27” 2019 iMac i9, 1Tb SSD, 128gig ram, Tb3 port to OWC Thunderbolt3 ProDock to OWC Helios PCIe for eSATA, Tb3 port to Razer Chroma w/AMD Radeon VII, connected via DP to 32” 4K monitor and via HDMI to 47” 4k TV Monitor
Internal Vega 48 for iMac display
OLD = Mac 2013 nMP 12 core Xeon, 48Gig RAM, 1Tb SSD, AMD FirePro D500 (2) internal GPU
eGPU --> Razer Core X Chroma, AMD Radeon VII, attached through T-bolt3 to T-bolt 2 adaptor attached to T-bolt bus0Port6

ReplyQuote
 of  3