Notifications
Clear all

New eGPU user - Mac mini - Razer Core X Chroma & Radeon Pro W5700 not working  

of  2
  RSS

Genesis27
(@genesis27)

Hi,

I'm new to eGPU's and wish I had found this site before buying hardware! Oh well, hoping someone can help me get this setup and working 🙂

So my set up is a 6 core 17 mac mini (Catalina 10.15.5) with a Samsung C34J79X widescreen monitor. I have a TB3 cable to the Chroma and then a mini DP cable to DP port on the monitor. However, when switching to DisplayPort all I get is a black screen. I been through and checked the card in the eGPU and all the cable connections. So I'm a bit lost as to what to try next. Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks, Mike  

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
hans-st.
(@hans-st)
Trusted Member

ReplyQuote
Genesis27
(@genesis27)

@hans-st, Radeon pro W5700

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
hans-st.
(@hans-st)
Trusted Member

@genesis27

Now I read it in your header - sorry.

Unfortunately I can not realy help - since the update to MacOS 10.15.5, am facing the same challenge with my RX 570.

Can you connect the Mac Mini via a HDMI cable directly to the monitor and restart the Mac Mini - without Chroma? That is what I am doing with my system. After loading Catalina I connect my eGPU and change to the previous connections. For me this action helps. Hope it helps for you too or at least directs you in the right direction. However, this workaround is not a solution.

Success

Now:    2018 Mac Mini (8th,6C,B) + RX 570 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (PowerColor Mini Pro) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1909
Before: 2014 Mac Mini (4th,2C,U) + GTX 1050 Ti @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (AKiTiO Node Lite) + Win10

2014 Mac Mini [4th,2C,U] + GTX 1050 Ti @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (PowerColor Mini Pro) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Genesis27
(@genesis27)

@hans-st, yep, tried that but it didn't work, unfortunately. 

This post was modified 1 month ago

ReplyQuote
hans-st.
(@hans-st)
Trusted Member

@genesis27,

to ensure a reliable change between the operating systems and straight boots to MacOS 10.15.5 my connection setup is (again as before 10.15.4):

I must keep the HDMI connection between the Mac Mini and the monitor. My graphics card in the enclosure is connected to the monitor via DP - mDP. The monitor is set to mDP all the time. All other peripherals (except the enclosure) are disconnected during the boot-up. This connection setup is (so far) constantly reliable.

Success

Now:    2018 Mac Mini (8th,6C,B) + RX 570 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (PowerColor Mini Pro) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1909
Before: 2014 Mac Mini (4th,2C,U) + GTX 1050 Ti @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (AKiTiO Node Lite) + Win10

2014 Mac Mini [4th,2C,U] + GTX 1050 Ti @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (PowerColor Mini Pro) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Genesis27
(@genesis27)

@hans-st, Ok, Success. I have it working!!!!

I went back and looked it the cables again and saw that I hadn't connected the cables in the GPU to the graphic card correctly.  I had simply connected the 2x 6 pin connectors with the power cables. I completely missed the extra connection under the topmost 6 pin connector! My next purchase will be a pair of glasses!! Lol  

I now have the HMDI connection (Mac mini to monitor) and am running Mac mini TB3 to Chroma and Chroma to monitor via DP -mDP. And of course, I am now seeing "Radeon Pro W5700 8GB" in "About this Mac". I have also found that if I start the eGPU and then start the mac mini, the mac mini will pick up the 5700 and I don't need to do the HDMI switching.   

Thanks for all your help

This post was modified 4 weeks ago

ReplyQuote
hans-st.
(@hans-st)
Trusted Member

ReplyQuote
grassright
(@grassright)

@genesis27, does the audio work through displayport? very interested in having a similar setup.

ReplyQuote
Genesis27
(@genesis27)

@hans-st, Ok, so with the benefit of a couple of days. The Mac Mini is not picking up the eGPU and graphics card on startup anymore. So I basically have the same behaviour as you've mentioned. So I am applying your "workaround" suggestion though with TB3 to my monitor instead of HDMI (HDMI is connected to my work laptop). I also noted if the Mac Mini goes to sleep, it will lose the connection also. I'm going to play with the settings and extend out the time. Cheers

ReplyQuote
 of  2