Newbie here with Radeon xr5700xt on a Razer Core X with a late 2013 iMac with Re...

Notifications
Clear all

Newbie here with Radeon xr5700xt on a Razer Core X with a late 2013 iMac with Retina display.  

RSS

Andy Hernandez
(@andy_hernandez)

Hi, I'm new here and now trying to use this setup. Seemed pretty easy when researched it but I don't see a huge difference in performance with the new card. I needed this card to bust up speed on video editing and graphics rendering. I did the wrangler purge and I can see my eGPU but I want to know how to bench market with my internal because in reality, I see no difference when trying to render a 3-minute video. Any help will be greatly appreciated. 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Honorable Member

@andy_hernandez

You can use Activity Monitor to see if your eGPU is even being used by your video editing software.

https://support.apple.com/guide/activity-monitor/view-gpu-activity-actm9329b315/mac

What editing software are you running?  

Are you looping back to the iMac display? Or are you using an external display attached to your eGPU? 

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX 5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.6 Catalina / Windows 2004 😏 / Dual LG 27" 4K displays

ReplyQuote
Andy Hernandez
(@andy_hernandez)

@mini-i5, Hi! Thank you so much for getting back. It is looping back to the iMac and I am using FCPX. I can see it in final cut and select it but there is no change in performance. I spent over $700 on this setup to get my editing running smooth and faster but I don't know if I have set up correctly. I have a dummy HDMI Ghost plugged in the HDMI port on the graphics card but there is still 3 DisplayPort that is empty. 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Honorable Member

@andy_hernandez

How much is the 5700 XT being shown as used in Mac Catalina’s Activity Monitor GPU History chart during FCPX rendering? 

You can open the CPU History window at the same time to compare between GPU use and CPU use.

https://www.techjunkie.com/view-gpu-usage-mac/

And are you adding video effects while rendering? Effects rely more on the GPU. 

Encoding may simply be using the CPU. 

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX 5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.6 Catalina / Windows 2004 😏 / Dual LG 27" 4K displays

ReplyQuote
Andy Hernandez
(@andy_hernandez)

@mini-i5, Hi, sorry for the late response. Been having issues with the setup. keep getting a black screen when I plug in external display ports. Yes, I am adding effects while rendering. 

ReplyQuote