Setup & Software Discussions
No HW Acceleration on MBP Mid 2012 650M - RX580

No HW Acceleration on MBP Mid 2012 650M - RX580  

RSS

(@dennis_rumstein)

I just ordered an RX580 8GB from Saphire and i hope to use it under High Sierra, but without success.

I installed than 10.12.6 and got it working, but i have no HW Acceleration with the RX580.

When i resize the window of chrome, its a little bit lagging.  I tried the script from mac_editor to disable the NVIDIA graphics, but than its more lagging when i resize the chrome window. It looks, like the macbook is using the iGPU or the dGPU for HW Acceleration. Is there a workaround for this?

Here is an benchmark made with geekbenchhttps://browser.geekbench.com/v4/compute/1513762

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
LackingUtility
(@lackingutility)

Similar problem, on a Mid-2015 MBP. I've got a Sonnet eGFX enclosure with an Nvidia GTX1060 running 3 monitors. They all light up, but both Cinebench and the Displays tab in About This Mac indicate that they're really running off the dGPU (AMD Radeon R9).

This previously worked under 10.12.6, with hardware acceleration. I updated to High Sierra and lost the monitors completely, but recently got them working with the latest Web Driver and the NVidia eGPU v3 script in another thread. But still no HW acceleration.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Antoine
(@antoine)
Trusted Member

Posted by: Rexima

I just ordered an RX580 8GB from Saphire and i hope to use it under High Sierra, but without success.

I installed than 10.12.6 and got it working, but i have no HW Acceleration with the RX580.

When i resize the window of chrome, its a little bit lagging.  I tried the script from mac_editor to disable the NVIDIA graphics, but than its more lagging when i resize the chrome window. It looks, like the macbook is using the iGPU or the dGPU for HW Acceleration. Is there a workaround for this?

Here is an benchmark made with geekbenchhttps://browser.geekbench.com/v4/compute/1513762

ok with HS no way that Nvidia dGPU will work but with Sierra should work with HW acceleration.

Could you describe the step you did for enabling eGPU in Sierra? did you run automate-eGPU? did you attached an external monitor to the eGPU? from the Geekbench score I saw you already enabled the 36 CU in the RX580

2017 15" MBP 3.1 MHz RP560 + AMD Vega FE [email protected] (Breakaway 350 + SF600) + macOS 10.13.6

ReplyQuote
kuuldor
(@kuuldor)

I have RX 580 as well with my late 2013 rMBP 750m. It works under both macOS Sierra and Windows 10 Fall Creator version.

I got the sluggish issue too. But setting the NVRAM to use iGPU fixed that.

The tool I uses is @mac_editor's purge-nvda.sh. See  https://github.com/mayankk2308/purge-nvda/releases/tag/1.2.1

use:

./purge-nvda.sh nvram-only   

Without the parameter it will remove the Nvidia geforce driver.

ReplyQuote