Non Retina Macbook Pro 2012 - 650M 512MB and Akitio Node w 980Ti Hybrid - Not being detected in Win 10 Pro Bootcamp  

Page 2 / 2 Prev
  RSS

sh@dow
(@shdow)
Eminent Member
May 17, 2017 4:05 am  

@mac_editor just tried it several times, although Windows boot won't freeze it won't detect the GPU if I do it the way you described. Did you actually ever manage to boot while the eGPU is connected, so did you ever get post the POST?

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
May 17, 2017 4:14 am  
Posted by: [email protected]

@mac_editor just tried it several times, although Windows boot won't freeze it won't detect the GPU if I do it the way you described. Did you actually ever manage to boot while the eGPU is connected, so did you ever get post the POST?

I was NEVER able to get it to work. Never. Maybe try altering the timing a little (like plugging in just before the Windows logo appears?)..

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.sh
----
Troubleshooting eGPUs on macOS
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
Multiple Build Guides

ReplyQuote
sh@dow
(@shdow)
Eminent Member
May 17, 2017 4:17 am  

Alright, same here. My last resort will be Pascal cards. The 1050 should be here tomorrow. Will report back if a boot is possible with that card. If so I'll get the 1080 Ti.

If not I'll get a new Macbook Pro in the fall 😀

@nando4 I think it is official that the Macbook Pro Non Retina 2012 650M does NOT work in Windows 10 with the 980Ti and the Akitio Node.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
May 17, 2017 4:21 am  

I pray for your success 🙂 You might have a greater chance with Pascal. 

Although I am curious as to how your setup boots when booting into macOS? The POST issue should affect a mac regardless of the OS being booted. So does this mean that with the eGPU connected, you hear the boot chime when booting into macOS, and not when booting into Windows? The chime indicates a successful POST.

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
Multiple Build Guides

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
May 17, 2017 4:35 am  

This is odd. I faced the POST issue regardless of the OS booted, hence the lengthy explanation in my 980 Ti regarding the timed boot process. POST is a pre-boot sequence, so I cannot imagine how an OS affects this (the code to load an OS is loaded later, after POST is successful).

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
Multiple Build Guides

ReplyQuote
sh@dow
(@shdow)
Eminent Member
May 17, 2017 4:44 am  

@mac_editor Sorry, I have to correct myself I just tried it again because my boot sound was on mute, so the boot chime DOES come up EVERY time with the powered eGPU being connected, since this happens BEFORE I boot into one of the OS. The freeze only happens once I boot into Windows AFTER the chime and once the OS selection icons appear and I select the Windows boot partition and hit ENTER or once it directly boots into Windows if it is set as the startup OS. So it MUST be a Windows related issue.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
May 17, 2017 4:58 am  

Ahh that makes a lot more sense to me. So essentially its a Windows problem. I really have to wonder what might be the case there. What Windows (build) version are you using? I would recommend the pre-Anniversary Windows 10 build.

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
Multiple Build Guides

ReplyQuote
sh@dow
(@shdow)
Eminent Member
May 17, 2017 5:36 am  

@mac_editor I am using Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit, Version 1607, Built 14393.1198

Not sure if I can downgrade to an earlier Win10 version though. Windows 8.1 won't be an option since it does come with a few drawbacks such as not the latest Direct X support and I also do not want to spend more $$ on Microsoft OS.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
May 17, 2017 5:37 am  

Is Fast-Startup disabled? It is recommended to do so...

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
Multiple Build Guides

ReplyQuote
sh@dow
(@shdow)
Eminent Member
May 17, 2017 5:39 am  
Posted by: mac_editor

Is Fast-Startup disabled? It is recommended to do so...

Yep, it is disabled as described in my first post. Otherwise TB1 would not work at all on this MB Pro: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203733

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
May 17, 2017 5:45 am  

My bad for missing that....

The last thing I had tried to get stuff going on Windows was to actually completely disable the 750M and run on integrated in Windows, and then try to use the eGPU. Is this a possibility on this mac model? You might have greater success given successful POST.

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
Multiple Build Guides

ReplyQuote
sh@dow
(@shdow)
Eminent Member
May 17, 2017 5:53 am  

@mac_editor Not sure, do you know how to completely disable the internal 650M, just by clicking "disable" in device manager in Windows? I am not sure if that works, since Windows does not detect the integrated GPU (Intel). So might just run into a black screen...

Does anyone know what Win10 does the very moment after it boots? Odd thing is once the Windows logo appears I can plug in the eGPU and it won't freeze anymore, but also does not get detected.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
May 17, 2017 6:02 am  

@[email protected]: Refer to this guide to keep your iGPU activated:  https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/how-to-keep-mbps-irisiris-pro-activated-when-booting-into-windows-boot-camp/paged/1/

I had a discussion (or more ;p) at length on this forum with many helpful users while I was attempting 980 Ti detection on Windows on my MBP. One of those posts has a method of completely removing the discrete GPU from being visible even in the device manager on Windows. Although I seriously doubt you need to go that far. As long as you can get your Windows up and running on the internal GPU, you should be fine.

Essentially, what I want you to try is this:

• Laptop ready to boot into Windows using iGPU.
  • Plug in eGPU.
  • Start Boot.
  • See what happens.

By the time the Windows logo appears, it won't detect any new plugged in thunderbolt GPUs because the thunderbolt firmware does not support hot-plugging. This is only possible on 2015 and later notebooks.

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
Multiple Build Guides

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
May 17, 2017 6:18 am  

Implementing a manual PERST# ON/OFF switch to control eGPU detection

Content moved to https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/mbp-egpu-detection-issues/#post-23

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
May 17, 2017 6:24 am  

@nando4: I presume that a delayed PERST is useful for avoiding the POST issue, or is this also applicable for the problem past the POST? Because in this case, @[email protected] does not have a POST issue.

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
Multiple Build Guides

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
May 17, 2017 6:32 am  

@mac_editor, the manul PERST# delay could be useful for the post issue on GT750M MBPs as well as to circumvent whatever the Mac firmware is doing to hide the TB controller on [email protected]'s GT650M MBP when it detects his GTX980Ti.

As mentioned, the old BPlus TH05 had this feature but I found Intel certification forbid manufacturers thereafter including it, with BPlus also required to cease selling their board.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
May 17, 2017 6:34 am  

Thanks for the clarification @nando4. I suppose @[email protected] still has a couple of things to try haha!

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
Multiple Build Guides

ReplyQuote
sh@dow
(@shdow)
Eminent Member
May 18, 2017 3:25 am  

@mac_editor @nando4 Thanks a lot guys! Thanks Nando for the detailed description, however that seems a bit too adventurous to me, haha. I think I will keep the eGPU for now and use it in OSX, since it was the main reason why I bought it to do 3D development in Unity and CG stuff in Maya.

However in case it'll work with a Pascal card I let you guys know.

Thanks a lot again, this forum is a really big help!

ReplyQuote
sh@dow
(@shdow)
Eminent Member
May 20, 2017 4:06 am  

Quick Update: Tried out the EVGA 1050 today, same thing does not work at all. Cannot boot into Win10 with the eGPU attached and Win10 does not detect the card when being plugged in after it booted.

So Win10 (Pro) + Non Retina Macbook Pro 2012 + Akitio Node does NOT work!

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
May 20, 2017 4:31 am  

[email protected], pls put a piece of thin tape on pin A11 of the video card to isolate and advise if you can then boot with the eGPU attached. That's isolating the PERST# pin as shown below:

ReplyQuote
sh@dow
(@shdow)
Eminent Member
May 20, 2017 4:38 am  

@nando4 - Wow mate, you're freaking amazing! Does that really work? Did you try that? I will definitely test that tomorrow. Looks promising!

ReplyQuote
gtosi
(@gtosi)
Eminent Member
May 20, 2017 8:32 am  

If that works for you [email protected], then I will certainly give this a try for my 750m combo as well.

Now that you know it wasn't the 10xx in @ozzy's vs. your setup, did you guys ever compare mac firmware versions?

That is (i) BootROM version, (ii) SMC version, (iii) Thunderbolt firmware version?

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin
May 20, 2017 11:56 am  

Does anyone know what exactly happens once you select Windows as the booting OS after hitting ALT? I assume it's the power on self test POST?

Freeze in POST and freeze when selecting the Windows partition are two different stages. The latter occurs when Apple's firmware boot manager (or more officially Startup Manager) has been loaded successfully after POST & pre-EFI - it loads Windows boot manager and forwards execution to Windows boot loader (winload.efi). In UEFI, you can browse and adjust these settings by bcdedit command. No experience of non-UEFI systems.

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi
--
late-2016 13" Macbook Pro nTB + [email protected] (Netstor HL23T) + macOS & Win10
late-2016 13" Macbook Pro nTB + GTX980/[email protected] (Netstor HL23T) + macOS10.13 & Win10

ReplyQuote
nperei
(@nperei)
May 20, 2017 2:38 pm  

Yes @shadow it will work. I done this before with Power Mac G4 I have use scotch tape.   People are amazing out there like nando4 🙂  

ReplyQuote
sh@dow
(@shdow)
Eminent Member
May 21, 2017 4:12 am  

Okay, so I put Scotch Tape on Pin A11 as described by @nando4. And guess what, this time I was able to boot into Win10 WITH the eGPU plugged in. No freeze anymore.

BUT: The card is still not being recognized in Windows at all! At least the Akitio Node shows up now in the device manager as "Thunderbolt" and "PCI to PCI ...." which this time is not greyed out in the device manager.

@nando4 you also mentioned something about a "PERST#" wire that needs to be attached. What is that exactly?

AND: I also realized that with the tape on the eGPU does not work at all anymore in OSX.

*Sigh*

Thoughts anyone? Is it time to give up yet?

ReplyQuote
sh@dow
(@shdow)
Eminent Member
May 21, 2017 4:18 am  
Posted by: gtosi

If that works for you [email protected], then I will certainly give this a try for my 750m combo as well.

Now that you know it wasn't the 10xx in @ozzy's vs. your setup, did you guys ever compare mac firmware versions?

That is (i) BootROM version, (ii) SMC version, (iii) Thunderbolt firmware version?

@gtosi I currently run 10.12.4 with all the latest firmware updates (did not update to 10.12.5 yet).

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
May 21, 2017 4:24 am  

@shadow, your result is as expected and good news. The Node is detected and you've managed to boot into Windows without needing to take out the eGPU from the enclosure to make it happen.

The second part of the initial instructions was to had attached  a wire to the A11 resistor on the Node board that is not connected (just hanging in the air). Once you've booted past the initial (problematic) Apple bootup screen, halt Windows from loading, ground that pin A11 pin wire by touching it to the chassis and keep it there. That will assert the eGPU on the PCIe bus. Then continue loading Windows where I'd expect your eGPU will be detected and showing. You could also try booting into Setup 1.35 and hit F5 to do a PCIe rescan after grounding that A11 wire to also do eGPU detection.

If that all works then look at add some switch in so can just switch on/off the PERST# delay.

This being a manually implemented PERST# delay to hide the eGPU from the Apple firmware.  Intel disallow PERST# delay mechanisms on certified TB boards.

ReplyQuote
sh@dow
(@shdow)
Eminent Member
May 21, 2017 4:31 am  

@nando4 Thanks for the quick reply! So you're saying I just have to do a PCI rescan in your script 1.35 and then the card gets detected without the extra wire?

Also do you know why the card is not being detected anymore in OSX with the tape attached?

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
May 21, 2017 6:44 am  

[email protected], an extra wire is needed to act as a on/off switch for the PERST# delay. When on it will allow eGPU detection in Windows.  I've revised the instructions for clarity:

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/non-retina-macbook-pro-2012-650m-512mb-and-akitio-node-w-980ti-hybrid-not-being-detected-in-win-10-pro-bootcamp/paged/2/#post-10892

ReplyQuote
ozzy
 ozzy
(@ozzy)
Trusted Member
May 21, 2017 5:26 pm  

Well we definitely have different Boot ROMs, so that maybe some clue as to why things work for me and don't for you on the non-retina MBP.

2012 15" Macbook Pro Retina GT650M + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS10.13 & Win10

ReplyQuote
sh@dow
(@shdow)
Eminent Member
May 21, 2017 9:05 pm  
Posted by: ozzy

Well we definitely have different Boot ROMs, so that maybe some clue as to why things work for me and don't for you on the non-retina MBP.

@ozzy Do you know if there is a way to change the BIOs ROM for a Mac? I just downloaded all the Apple Updates, but I assume the BIOs ROMS obviously vary from Macbook version to Macbook version.

ReplyQuote
sh@dow
(@shdow)
Eminent Member
May 21, 2017 9:06 pm  

@nando4 Thanks a lot again mate! This is really a big help. However I will leave it for now as I do not want to solder things on the board. Won't keep my current Macbook Pro 2012 for long anyways. Waiting for Apple to finally bring out the next generation...rumors say that'll already happen in 1-2 months.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
May 22, 2017 12:53 pm  

Sure thing. Such mods are not for everyone. If you feel inclined later on, grab 60cm of enamelled coated hair-fine wire from your local mobile phone repairer, singe 3mm off both ends, sandwidth one end in A11 Node TB3 board position, have the A11 video card PCIe isolated, boot up and then pin the other end of the wire to the chassis to GND it (PERST# on, eGPU detection on). Do a Device Manager rescan and expect to see your eGPU.

gtosi liked
ReplyQuote
sh@dow
(@shdow)
Eminent Member
November 6, 2018 6:26 am  

Hey guys, I know it's been a while and I have seen that @goalque released the automate-eGPU EFI - eGPU boot manager for macOS and Windows:

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/automate-egpu-efi-egpu-boot-manager-for-macos-and-windows/

My question is, would that work with my above setup on Windows without adding any tape/ extra wires?

Thanks a lot!

ReplyQuote
clarketus
(@clarketus)
November 25, 2018 4:01 am  

Hey guys, I know it's been a while and I have seen that @goalque released the automate-eGPU EFI - eGPU boot manager for macOS and Windows:

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/automate-egpu-efi-egpu-boot-manager-for-macos-and-windows/

My question is, would that work with my above setup on Windows without adding any tape/ extra wires?

Thanks a lot!

I noticed you have a similar machine to mine, and I wrote a guide since this thread was last active where I was able to get bootcamp working with no issues:
https://egpu.io/forums/builds/mid-2012-15-macbook-pro-non-retina-rx58010gbps-tb1-gigabyte-gaming-box-via-tb3-to-tb1-adapter-macos10-13-4-win10-clarketus/

The main difference between our setups is you are using an Nvidia card. Provided you stay on 10.13.6 for macOS, I think my guide might work for you? Hopefully this will help you.

Guides:
Mid 2012 15" MBP GT650M Non Retina + [email protected] (Gigabyte Gaming Box via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS 10.13.4 / Win10

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2 Prev