Non Retina MacBook Pro 2012 - 650M 512MB and Akitio Node w 980Ti Hybrid - Not be...

Notifications
Clear all

Non Retina MacBook Pro 2012 - 650M 512MB and Akitio Node w 980Ti Hybrid - Not being detected in Win 10 Pro Bootcamp  

of  8
  RSS

sh@dow
(@shdow)
Eminent Member

@ozzy I never said I restored Windows, I just reinstalled the Boot Camp drivers. What I've seen however was a greyed out Hardware entry in the device manager called "Thunderbolt" and some "PCI to PCI" devices which after deletion did not re-appear. However this could have been from when I plugged in the Akitio Node case w/o the graphics card..... ok let me try this again in a bit actually.

If I just select Windows as the boot partition then it boots into Windows the first time, but I always have to boot into OSX again to set the -a before booting into Windows again, otherwise it freezes during boot.

Let me try to set -m again and eventually plug in the eGPU after the OS selection screen.

There is a trick to install Windows in UEFI mode (see previously posted link), but it is complicated and does not work in Boot Camp. Boot Camp always installs in MBR mode. I was just curious, but seems yours works in MBR mode.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
sh@dow
(@shdow)
Eminent Member

I just realized something odd. When I attach the Akitio Node w/o the GPU in Windows 10 Bootcamp it actually does get detected, and the little icon in the system tray "Remove Thunderbolt hardware safely" appears. In the device manager it also appears as greyed out "Thunderbolt" hardware as well as several "PCI to PCI Bridge" instances. However they state error 45, "Hardware not connected".

So whenever I put the 980Ti Hybrid into the Node it won't get detected anymore in Windows 10. I am clueless.

Capture

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

There are four important factors regarding Windows: MBP firmware version, Windows build number, the architecture of the eGPU, the ROM of the eGPU.

@ozzy is right. If you keep the -a mode turned on, the eGPU will never be detected on Windows.

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi

Mid 2015 15-inch MacBook Pro eGPU Master Thread

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 1809 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Fred.
(@fred)
Trusted Member

Posted by: sh@dow

I just realized something odd. When I attach the Akitio Node w/o the GPU in Windows 10 Bootcamp it actually does get detected, and the little icon in the system tray "Remove Thunderbolt hardware safely" appears. In the device manager it also appears as greyed out "Thunderbolt" hardware as well as several "PCI to PCI Bridge" instances. However they state error 45, "Hardware not connected".

So whenever I put the 980Ti Hybrid into the Node it won't get detected anymore in Windows 10. I am clueless.

Capture

I'm going to try that now. Let's see if I have the same result.

mid-2012 11" Macbook Air + GTX1080Ti@10Gbps (AKiTiO Node via TB3 to TB2 adapter) + Win10

2012 11" MacBook Air [3rd,2C,U] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Fred.
(@fred)
Trusted Member

Guys! I was able to get it to work in windows. But only once...

and It must have been because I connected the DVI cable (Yes, DVI cable and not the Thunderbolt cable) to the monitor at the right time while windows was booting.

But I tried to simulate it and it's not working. So I'm still not sure what's causing trouble.

before that I did check if

The thunderbolt was showing up correct in device manager. But one tab said no drivers and the other tab said the driver was ok.

I removed the Intel thunderbolt drivers and rebooted, no change. The tabs where still the same. Rebooted again and connected the monitor while windows was booting and it worked. I'm still trying to simulate it but no luck so far.

a few screenshots

trouble uploading them from my phone so i'll add them when i'm on my mac.

*edit*

IMG 6358
IMG 6356
IMG 6359

mid-2012 11" Macbook Air + GTX1080Ti@10Gbps (AKiTiO Node via TB3 to TB2 adapter) + Win10

2012 11" MacBook Air [3rd,2C,U] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

This is exactly the same issue I faced with a stock 980 Ti, albeit on a 750M mac. The symptoms were the same, although I had zero success with detection - no sign of Thunderbolt in the device manager even (at least I see some progress here).

As @ozzy has pointed out - there could be differences between the non-retina and retina notebooks w/ 650M.

A few things are certain though:

• Goalque's script's -a mode will prevent eGPU detection in Windows.
  • Akitio Node firmware should be at least 23.1. Best to have the latest firmware.
  • For a GPU to be detected on macs prior to the 2015 15" MBP (basically, older TB firmware), it has to be plugged in before the system is booted, and must pass the POST for successful detection.

So far, I have assumed that these three factors, if taken care of, ensures some sort of detection on dGPU NVIDIA macs. That's probably why I find the issue quite intriguing.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: goalque

This is a MBP firmware related issue. I recall older Kepler cards do not interfere with the 750M. Something similar as with the 2015 13" MBP, Apple's firmware randomly "rejects" certain type of Nvidia cards, in power-on self-test stage.

This is at least the case with the Node. This rejection is not apparent on the Thunder2.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

It's the case with the Thunder2/Sonnet III-D + Maxwell eGPU + 750M. I remember @Mark confirmed this some years ago. I suppose that 650M model behaves similarly with Maxwell.

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 1809 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: goalque

It's the case with the Thunder2/Sonnet III-D + Maxwell eGPU + 750M. I remember @Mark confirmed this some years ago. I suppose that 650M model behaves similarly with Maxwell.

Well, I have read of at least one implementation of a 980 TI with a 750M notebook using the Thunder2, and it seemed to work well (believe it was by @P-Mac, posted on TechInferno). On this website, we have two implementations with Pascal cards w/ 750m that work well.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

Worked but not perfectly. @P-Mac also reported about that random POST issue.  Maxwell + 750M is not reliable combination on Windows. Both @Mark and @P-Mac found their way to our new home Smile

ReplyQuote
 of  8