NVIDIA GTX 1080 with PowerColor Devil Box (BootCamp) over TB3 -> TB2 adapter on ...

Notifications
Clear all

NVIDIA GTX 1080 with PowerColor Devil Box (BootCamp) over TB3 -> TB2 adapter on 2015 iMac 5K  

of  5
  RSS

itsmikerofl
(@itsmikerofl)
Trusted Member

Hi!

I've been lurking on eGPU.io for a long while, and I've finally got the change to start a thread.

When the 2016 MacBook Pro was released with Thunderbolt 3, it was my dream come true. I had been waiting for a Thunderbolt 3 MacBook for months, since the launch of Thunderbolt 3.

Sold my i7-6700K liquid cooled hackintosh, and went for the 2016 MacBook Pro 15". Loved it! Kept my GTX 1080, and waited for the eGPU.

After I read @itsage's work on comparing 2016 MacBook Pro models with a GTX 980 Ti Hybrid eGPU, I realized that the model of the 2016 MacBook Pro was independent from eGPU performance, even if the CPU is a dual-core i5, or a quad-core i7. This inspired me to exchange my 2016 MacBook Pro 15" for the 2016 MacBook Pro 13" with Touch Bar.

My PowerColor Devil Box had just arrived, and I was going to the Apple Store to get one of the LG UltraFine 5K Displays. Until I got there, and my brain hatched an idea...

I wanted a MacBook with Thunderbolt 3 to use an eGPU, both for on-the-go when I need it, and the power while at the desk.

When I looked at the LG UltraFine 5K Display, I realized, it wouldn't be a bad idea to use the 2016 iMac 5K with a Thunderbolt 3 -> Thunderbolt 2 adapter, (@itsage shows about a 5% decrease in performance when using Thunderbolt 3 -> Thunderbolt 2 with eGPU), and use a 12" MacBook for on-the-go.

Exchanged my 2016 MacBook Pro 13" Touch Bar for the base model 2016 MacBook 12", and the rest of the refund went to the 2016 iMac 5K that I'm picking up tomorrow.

TL;DR: (iPad + Hackintosh GTX 1080) -> (2016 MacBook Pro 15" + eGPU GTX 1080) -> (2016 MacBook Pro 13" Touch Bar + eGPU GTX 1080) -> (iMac 5K w/ eGPU + 12" MacBook)

I see there isn't much documentation on getting the iMac 5K running with an eGPU at this point in time, (only 1 thread on eGPU.io), so I'm looking for some pointers on where to even start, and how to minimize failures.

I realize that using the iMac with eGPU means it'll saturate the eGPU connection even more, because the output would be directed back at the internal display. I also have seen that people are experiencing problems with eGPUs on a machine that has a discrete GPU already. This was a benefit of using the 2016 MacBook Pro 13", in that respect.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsmikerofl
(@itsmikerofl)
Trusted Member

Picked up the 2015 5K iMac! My first iMac, so I had no clue how huge this box would be! http://imgur.com/a/fGmqR

These two look like they're just waiting for each other. http://imgur.com/a/7EmD0

Close up of the Devil Box:  http://imgur.com/a/flGBk

This thing is packed really well!  http://imgur.com/a/WPt4M

Now it's time to cram my EVGA GTX 1080 hybrid into it...  http://imgur.com/a/yIno4

http://imgur.com/a/09ylS

And it's able to squeeze it in! It's a miracle that this thing fits.

macOS sees the Devil Box, but does not see the GPU.

I've got BootCamp installed, but Device Manager reports the Devil Box as "Unknown Device", and has not attempted to install any kind of driver.

Clean shutdown. unplugged Thunderbolt cable from iMac. Boot into Recovery, and run "csrutil disable; reboot".

Rebooted into macOS, clean shutdown, plugged Thunderbolt cable, boot and attempted to run automate-egpu with the commands:

chmod +x automate-eGPU.sh

sudo ./automate-eGPU.sh

sudo ./automate-eGPU.sh -a -skip-web-driver-installation -skip agdc

The philosophy behind the options I used were that "-a" is recommended by goaque, "-skip adage" looks like it is required for 5K iMac install, (per this thread), and since I'm using a GTX 1080, that has no macOS Web Drivers, the "-skip-web-driver-installation" option. Please correct me if this is wrong.

The output that comes from those commands is as follows:

input1: sudo ./automate-eGPU.sh

output1: Thunderbolt device is connected, but no external GPUs detected.

input2: sudo ./automate-eGPU.sh -a -skip-web-driver-installation -skip agdc

output2: Application support path not found. Please install automate-eGPU first.

If anyone can give me some pointers, I'd be ecstatic... GTX 1080 sitting here just begging to be used!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

To get eGPU detection, you need to flash the new just-released DevilBox firmware. Grab it at:
https://www.reddit.com/r/eGPU/comments/5w2npj/fresh_devilbox_firmware_update/

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

@itsmikerofl:

The script doesn't support multiple options.

There is no such option as "-skip-web-driver-installation". It is "-skip-web-driver". Please read from the GitHub:

Skip Nvidia Web driver installation (for Kepler cards).

Only for the Kepler cards. GTX 1080 doesn't work.

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi

Mid 2015 15-inch MacBook Pro eGPU Master Thread

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 1809 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsmikerofl
(@itsmikerofl)
Trusted Member

Posted by: nando4

To get eGPU detection, you need to flash the new just-released DevilBox firmware. Grab it at:
https://www.reddit.com/r/eGPU/comments/5w2npj/fresh_devilbox_firmware_update/

Hi nando64! Thanks got the quick reply. Ran the Thunderbolt Firmware Update Utility, got this result:

Error: 0x208 SDK_SERVICE_NOT_FOUND Thunderbolt(TM) service doesn't exist

Thunderbolt Firmware Update Utility implies I need Thunderbolt Firmware already installed... Do I need Thunderbolt firmware installed beforehand?

ReplyQuote
itsmikerofl
(@itsmikerofl)
Trusted Member

Posted by: goalque

@itsmikerofl:

The script doesn't support multiple options.

There is no such option as "-skip-web-driver-installation". It is "-skip-web-driver". Please read from the GitHub:

Skip Nvidia Web driver installation (for Kepler cards).

Only for the Kepler cards. GTX 1080 doesn't work.

Thanks for your reply, goalque, and for the hard work you've put into this script!

Didn't notice that the "-skip-web-driver" line was only for Kepler, my bad. I didn't realize that more than one option wasn't supported at one time. Noted.

Will get the Devil Box firmware updated first, then redo the script correctly. Thanks again for the help.

goalque liked
ReplyQuote
itsmikerofl
(@itsmikerofl)
Trusted Member

Reinstalled from Windows 10 Education to Windows 10 Pro.

Still getting:

Error: 0x208 SDK_SERVICE_NOT_FOUND Thunderbolt(TM) service doesn't exist

http://imgur.com/a/I52p9

I'm thinking that this is possibly due to the fact that I'm running it through the Thunderbolt 2 -> Thunderbolt 3 adapter, although, Razer Core, AKiTiO Node, and AKiTiO Thunder 3 work through the adapter on a Thunderbolt 2 device.

ReplyQuote
nmzik
(@nmzik)
Eminent Member

Are you sure that you have latest Intel Thunderbolt Software installed? You can download it here

MacBook Pro Late 2013 15" MacBook Pro GT750M + Sapphire Pulse RX580@16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (AKiTiO Node)

ReplyQuote
itsmikerofl
(@itsmikerofl)
Trusted Member

Posted by: nmzik

Are you sure that you have latest Intel Thunderbolt Software installed? You can download it here

I do not. I've been looking around for it without success. Thanks!!!

Will report back once I install.

ReplyQuote
Daelin
(@daelin)
Trusted Member

i have the same issues with a macbook pro early 2013. installing the newest TB software brought me one step forward. now the attatched error message appears that the devil box was not found. ( i tried to hotplug it as well as to plug it in before booting)

Capture

argh i think this wont work on bootcamp. this happens when i try to open the thunderbolt software directly:

Capture2

MacBook Pro 15" 2017, AMD RP560
Devil Box + MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

Bricked thanks to rEFInd:
MacBook Pro 15" Late 2013, GT 750M

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP560) [7th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (PowerColor Devil Box) + macOS 10.13.3 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  5