Only top right TB3 port working on MBP 2...

Only top right TB3 port working on MBP 2018 13" - Akitio Node Pro w/ Vega 64  

RSS

McBanjo
(@mcbanjo)
May 19, 2019 1:28 am  

I recently changed the stock PSU in my Akitio Node Pro to the Corsair SF600 with paperclip trick - and seemingly at the same time the TB3 ports have stopped working on the left and bottom right for the eGPU for MacOS. It doesn't charge or connect at all, some drives seem to work in the same ports and original MacBook charger works.

Only the top right port works consistently. I've tried an SMC reset and NVRAM while plugged into the left port and it managed to start up again once or twice but it won't hot plug and doesn't fix the problem permanently.

Wondering if anyone's had similar issues? It seems fairly strange. Anything else I can diagnose before taking the MacBook into Apple?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
May 21, 2019 12:58 pm  

It's possible the SF600 PSU doesn't work well in your configuration. Have you tried putting the original PSU back in and see if that helps?

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

94 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
McBanjo
(@mcbanjo)
May 27, 2019 6:00 am  

Will give that a go and post back...

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
omardesu
(@omardesu)
Trusted Member
May 27, 2019 9:03 pm  

It’s possible the ports are fried.  Happened to me multiple times using HDMI to USB-C adapters.  Probably need to just bring it into Apple.

1070 Ti: 2014 Mac mini / 2016 MBP 15"
Mini ITX Build in Dan A4 Case

ReplyQuote
McBanjo
(@mcbanjo)
May 28, 2019 12:15 pm  

I tried putting the old PSU back in and still a no-go. So I'm thinking it's the Thunderbolt 3 ports fried on the MacBook Pro, particularly since the issue is independent of the eGPU and other devices aren't working in these ports either. Off to Apple I go!

What's really weird is that if I boot via an SMC reset, it works fine and the eGPU boots up and charges properly (on my MacBook 13" 2018 with T2 chip I do this by holding Left Ctrl + Left Option + Right Shift for 8 seconds).

Posted by: omardesu

It’s possible the ports are fried.  Happened to me multiple times using HDMI to USB-C adapters.  Probably need to just bring it into Apple.

Good to know. I was using a HyperDrive on a work trip when I first noticed the issue with the ports...

This post was modified 3 weeks ago

ReplyQuote