OS 10.15.4 + AMD Radeon Pro WX 3200 not working

Notifications
Clear all

OS 10.15.4 + AMD Radeon Pro WX 3200 not working  

RSS

Raphael R
(@raphael_r)

Hello, I'm new to this forum and not that familiar with EGPUs on Mac also.

Sorry for my bad english, I'm no native speaking person...

I already used a NVIDIA Quadro K5000 both in Mac OS and Bootcamp.

Because of some autonomous updates Mac OS High Sierra stopped working with my Quadro running on the Nvidia Web drivers available for High Sierra. 

To avoid future problems I choosed to interchange my officially unsupported Quadro with a supported Radeon Pro WX Series card. I decided to go with the budget WX3200 card because it's compatible with Nemetschek Allplan which I'm using with Bootcamp for some CAD work.

I got this new card today and and tried immediately to fire it up on my Mac OS High Sierra after erasing the NVIDIA Web drivers but nothing really happened except my keyboard and mouse connected to the EGPU Housing started working.

As next step I installed the Update on Mac OS 10.15.4. I thought the newest available Mac OS could solve the problem, but still nothing happened.

Now my Macbook is running on a fresh installation of Mac OS 10.15.4 to eliminate the possibility of running old NVIDIA drivers still, but I got the same result. My EGPU housing has the same functionality as a USB hub.

My System:

- 2016 MacBook Pro 13 inch / 2 TB3 ports running Mac OS Catalina in the latest Version 10.15.4

- HP Omen Accelerator EGPU housing

- New AMD Radeon Pro WX3200 graphics card

I took a look to the system report also. For graphics/display there is written "Display" as external GPU on PCIe BUS:

Type: Externe GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe-Lane-width: x4

Manufacturer: AMD (0x1002)

Device-ID: 0x6981

Version-ID: 0x0010

It seems to recognize the external GPU as a external EGPU by AMD. So far so good, but he also mentions at PCIE in the system-information window that he installed the drivers without writing something like "WX3200".

In the Task-Bar on the top of the display he does not show the EGPU icon. Disconnecting the EGPU he shows the notification "GPU not correctly disconnected"

I don't know where the problem could exist. Using google didn't help me too. I hope you could help me please.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Brodlum
(@brodlum)

Do you have multiple displays? Can you try connect one to the HDMI of the Mac and another to the GPU? On the GPU, try both HDMI and DP if possible and let me know the results. I'm running an RX 5700 XT and get no video output if no display is plugged in to the internal graphics, and I get no display via eGPU if using DisplayPort. 10.15.3 was fine.

Mac mini 2018, i7@3.2, 1TB, 32GB. Razer Core X w/ AMD RX 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: @raphael_r

To avoid future problems I choosed to interchange my officially unsupported Quadro with a supported Radeon Pro WX Series card.

Where did you read the WX3200 is supported on macOS? macOS does not have drivers for Lexa AMD GPUs (only Baffin and above). It should work in Windows.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/amd-polaris-vega-navi-gpu-macos-support.2083168/post-27512240

Refer to this list for supported cards:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208544

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Raphael R
(@raphael_r)

Thank you for the comments.

On the Apple Support page is written: "These graphics cards are based on the AMD Polaris architecture. Recommended graphics cards include the Sapphire Pulse series and the AMD WX series."

I thought it would work with the entire AMD WX series because there are no exceptions. 

Posted by: @mac_editor

macOS does not have drivers for Lexa AMD GPUs (only Baffin and above).

If I go for a WX3100 it should work fine with Mac OS?

The WX3100 has almost the same price as the WX3200, but the WX3200 seems to be noticeable more powerful to me. What about the Vega 56? It is officially supported by Apple but not recommended by Nemetschek for use with their CAD software Allplan. Looking at benchmarks the Vega is the far more powerful card compared with some WX cards and costs nearly the same as a new WX3100 if you go with a used one. Does anyone have experiences in 3D CAD software using a consumer card? I heard about differences in optimization. Consumer cards were made for kind of flat textures without too much edges whereas workstation cards were made for the opposite. But I heard about huge power increase using a Vega card instead of other consumer cards especially in CAD software...

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Raphael R
(@raphael_r)

Okay, I looked it up. The 3100 also got Lexa as I found out... The 4100 seems to have Baffin. Looking at the TDP I should eventually go with the 4100 because the Vega 56 needs over 200 watts compared to less than 100 when using the WX4100.

ReplyQuote