Please Help! eGPU not being detected by my Mac mini 2018 (Monterey 12.4)

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Please Help! eGPU not being detected by my Mac mini 2018 (Monterey 12.4)  

RSS

Fifi_98
(@fifi_98)

Before I get into the issue here are my specs:

2018 Mac Mini (macOS Monterey 12.4)

3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 Processor

Built In GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

eGPU Enclosure: Razer Core X Thunderbolt 3 External Graphics Card Enclosure

eGPU: AMD Radeon Pro WX 3200 4G Workstation Graphics Card

Display: 28" 4K Lenovo L28u-30 & Huion 15.6-inch GT156HD Display Pen Tablet

I have Bootcamp windows and whilst it was a hassle I got it working. However when I use my Mac partition, my eGPU isn't recognised.

I have tried reinstalling the macOS however the problem persists.

When I have my display plugged into the eGPU it shows as blank screen and when I plug it into my Mac directly, no icon shows up in the menu bar. I checked my activity monitor and only data from my internal GPU shows.

I have tried using my Huion Drawing Display Tablet as the monitor connected to my mac directly and my Lenovo connected to the eGPU to see if this worked however, it still doesn't recognise it.

I have gone into Terminal and used /usr/bin/SafeEjectGPU gpus to see if it was recognised in there, since when I unplug it the "egpu not ejected properly" message shows up.

In the system information, my eGPU shows as:

Display:

Type: External GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x4
Vendor: AMD (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x6981
Revision ID: 0x0010

I have read many posts trying to find a fix however nothing seems to match my problem, or help identify a solution. I have also tried following the Trouble Shooting Guide by mac_editor.

I have seen people say the AMD Pro WX 3200 card isn't compatabile with Mac but it says on their website that the AMD Pro WX series is supported due to it using the AMD Polaris architecture. I double checked it would be compatible before buying through the official websites for Mac, AMD, and Razer however when I was trying to troubleshoot I noticed people said the 3200 wasn't compatible. I chose it due to it being cheaper whilst still being a high quality card.

Please can someone tell me what I am missing Cry

eGPU: AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT
Displays: 28" 4K Lenovo L28u-30 & Huion 15.6-inch GT156HD Display Pen Tablet

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@fifi_98, Sorry to hear. 

Apple’s guide to using external graphics cards with your Mac can be a bit confusing regarding the Polaris family. AMD’s RP WX 7100 card is included on the list as compatible, but the RP WX 3200 is not specifically listed as being supported.

Anyway, an RX 6600 XT will perform much better in MacOS Monterey than either WX model, though. Run with that. 

By the way, (Mac Mini nation) don’t forget to turn off FileVault. 

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 6600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS 12.1 & Win10 21H1 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Fifi_98
(@fifi_98)

@mini-i5, Thank you!

I was hoping to avoid having to buy a new one, since this one was within my budget. However I was able to find a nice deal online for the RX 6600 XT with the EOFY sales happening at the moment Cool

Ill keep this post updated when I receive the new card and how it goes Smile  

Mini i5 liked
ReplyQuote
Fifi_98
(@fifi_98)

The New RX 6600 XT works perfectly with my MacOS Partition! Definitely plug and play. :d  

Mini i5 liked
ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

That's great. I've def been happy with my 6600 XT in Final Cut Pro, AutoCAD, Maya, Blender, Affinity Photo, plus a couple Windows games running via Bootcamp. All good.

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 6600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS 12.1 & Win10 21H1 [build link]  

ReplyQuote