Setup & Software Discussions
Please help: Unable to run Starcraft 2 internal display with Gigabyte RX 580 Gam...

Please help: Unable to run Starcraft 2 internal display with Gigabyte RX 580 Gaming Box  

RSS

Magoon84
(@magoon84)
Eminent Member

Hi everyone,

I have a MacBook Pro 13" (2018) and a Gigabyte RX 580 Gaming Box running on Mac OS Mojave.

I've tried to run Starcraft 2 in internal display mode with "prefer external GPU" option on both the battle.net app as well as the Starcraft 2 executable. But every time I start the game on look on graphics options, it still shows my integrated GPU.

What shall I do that the game accelerates the EGPU? 

Thank you vey much in advance for your help. 

All the best
Magoon

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member

It could be because the actual Starcraft executable is elsewhere.
do you have an external display to try acceleration with it?
you can also select Metal as rendering in Starcraft option

MacBook Pro 2018 Touch Bar i7 quad-core 2.7Ghz - 16GB RAM - 512GB PCIe SSD
my Mantiz Venus extreme mod with Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64

ReplyQuote
Magoon84
(@magoon84)
Eminent Member

Hi Ikir,

sorry for my late reply but I was on a trip and couldn't try out your solution. Well I've just tried to run with Metal, but it still shows the integrated GPU and not my eGPU. 

Any other solution which might could help?

Thx in advance.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
ScreamingPict
(@screamingpict)

Magoon- have you checked what application is soaking up most of your CPU cycles in Activity Monitor? That might show you what executable you need to set to prefer eGPU.

ReplyQuote
Magoon84
(@magoon84)
Eminent Member

Hi Screamingpict,

thx for your reply. How do I activate the monitor during gaming? I guess I have to start the app before the monitor right?

ReplyQuote
arfung
(@arfung)

Hi,

I have the same eGPU with a 13" 2017 MacBook Pro (Touch Bar). To use the external GPU, find the SC2 binary (go to the Starcraft icon in the dock, then ctrl-click on the icon, options, show in Finder). Then, select the icon and "Get Info". If your eGPU is plugged in, you should see "Prefer external GPU" in the info panel of the SC2 icon. Click that.

This does allow me to run StarCraft 2 on the eGPU. However, after playing for just a few minutes, the system locks up every time and I have to re-boot. This is with the internal monitor. I haven't tried with an external monitor.

Does anyone have a stable setup using eGPU on internal display with Star Craft 2?

ReplyQuote