Please help with my 2018 13 inch setup on bootcamp.  

RSS

SRQ2
 SRQ2
(@srq2)
July 28, 2018 7:33 pm  

Macbook Pro 2018, 13 inch 8GB/512GB, i5. Sonnet EGPU + GTX 1060 6gb.

Not working with error 12.

Have attempted rEFInd method. Hotplug method. Have tried swapping ports as well, this is really weird and annoying- this work setup worked with a 2017!

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
SRQ2
 SRQ2
(@srq2)
July 29, 2018 9:29 am  

From what I can tell it's a firmware issue, installing the Mojave beta broke things. I'm gonna bring it back (It's been two days and Apple is known to be relaxed with these things) and exchange and post a trip report later.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
SRQ2
 SRQ2
(@srq2)
July 30, 2018 7:35 am  

Did the return and now it works.

DO NOT INSTALL MOJAVE BETA IF YOU RUN BOOTCAMP. FOR GODS SAKES DONT' DO IT.

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
(@jiazheng_zhu)
August 2, 2018 8:44 am  

I reinstalled 10.13, but still cannot connect to my egpu on bootcamp. The same problem error 12.
Could you please tell me how did you fix this?

ReplyQuote
blisster138
(@blisster138)
August 5, 2018 4:01 pm  

I'd love to get a little more insight to how you got everything working. What articles did you use as reference? I have a 2018 13" Quad i7 with 16GB memory and I partitioned half my 1TB drive for Bootcamp. In theory I have plenty of system but unsure what all ports I might need to disable. Still running High Sierra here though so no Mojave.

I have the Razer Core X and snagged an AMD Vega 64 thinking there would be better support as Razer specifically calls out Mac support and AMD is Apple's current dVGA solution. Not so under bootcamp as Windows still won't recognize the video card. Like you I've tried hotplugging the eGPU so I'm gonna give the rEFInd solution a shot and see if I get any further. Thinking I might just return the AMD card and get a 1070 (I personally prefer Nvidia solutions anyways so we'll see how it goes).

ReplyQuote
SRQ2
 SRQ2
(@srq2)
August 7, 2018 12:01 am  

Well here's the problem.

There is no fix. I got everything working by returning my MacBook to the store. The original High Sierra firmware works fine.
That is, if you install Mojave, bootcamp EGPu is broken permanently until a further firmware update (hopefully) adds the Large Memory area back.

ReplyQuote
blisster138
(@blisster138)
August 7, 2018 1:20 am  
Posted by: SRQ2

Well here's the problem.

There is no fix. I got everything working by returning my MacBook to the store. The original High Sierra firmware works fine.
That is, if you install Mojave, bootcamp EGPu is broken permanently until a further firmware update (hopefully) adds the Large Memory area back.

I gotcha. So was working with the 2017 but the 2018 w/Mojave is kaput. That's unfortunate - hopefully they'll find whatever was at fault before the retail release.  😯

ReplyQuote
SRQ2
 SRQ2
(@srq2)
August 7, 2018 1:34 am  

I emailed Craig F so we'll see if he has the time/care to get back to me on this. I assume he's busy guy and this is kind of an edge case.

ReplyQuote
(@mcbanjo)
September 12, 2018 8:57 pm  

if you install Mojave, bootcamp EGPu is broken permanently until a further firmware update

Not sure this is entirely true anymore. I was running High Sierra and managed to get the eGPU working 2 or 3 times but couldn't replicate it using refind or hot plug. Installed latest Beta 11 of Mojave and it worked with hotplug first boot. Can't get it going again with hotplug but only tried twice so far. Maybe it was a first boot only thing.

How do I tell if Large Memory area is added back?

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
SRQ2
 SRQ2
(@srq2)
September 13, 2018 5:14 am  

I can confirm it's fixed and works fine now as of beta 9. Forgot to post :p

ReplyQuote
blisster138
(@blisster138)
September 13, 2018 5:18 am  

I'm SOOOOOO stoked to try this out! My enclosure and card work fantastic under Mac OS but Bootcamp is my El Dorado…my personal, computing Atlantis. Looking forward to Sept. 24th so I can test more; thanks all for posting back here to confirm this is remedied. 😉

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
steve500
(@steve500)
Eminent Member
October 17, 2018 2:46 pm  
Posted by: Eightarmedpet

From what I have read the Mojave bug has been fixed and it no longer breaks egpu support in bootcamp.

Finally release is soon so lets see what that yields.

Is this true for the 2018 13" mbp?

My i7 quad 13" 2018 is just code 12'ing but have not attempted rEFInd

ReplyQuote
zmyslony
(@zmyslony)
Eminent Member
October 17, 2018 3:25 pm  

Yes it is true, the problem seems to occur on certain beta builds.
Please try again, with hotplugging at windows logo. It should work just fine on final build of Mojave.
Make sure you have updated to the latest OS X. rEFind works as well on my 13" 2018

13" MacBook Pro + MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Duke (Razer Core X)

ReplyQuote
steve500
(@steve500)
Eminent Member
October 17, 2018 5:28 pm  

Agreed, my Aorus gaming box seems to work in bootcamp in the front-most (closer to the trackpad) left hand (side without headphone jack) of my 2018 i7 13" macbook pro running mojave.

Although, it only works when an external display is hooked up to the eGPU, I can boot up to bootcamp with eGPU plugged in from the start, or plug in eGPU during windows bootup, you cannot hook it up later. Be sure you've got your graphics card drivers installed and it should work great.

ReplyQuote