Notifications
Clear all

Poor performance with MacBook 13 2017 + Sonnet 350w + RX580 Nitro+  

RSS

d0cz
 d0cz
(@d0cz)

Hi there,

So, this week I finally got a sonnet breakaway box (350w) with a Sapphire RX580 Nitro+ and I was... somewhat happy with the new performance but I realized it was not 100% yet.

I wanted an eGPU so I could share its power with my Mac and a future windows pc (like the new Intel NUC), but I was expecting a little more from this MacBook.

Downloaded couple games from Steam that I had on my cloud library, just waiting to try with the new setup and ended up 50%, the performance was definitely hit or miss. I was not expecting slowdowns or "lags" on indie games like that (Firewatch, The Long Dark and a non-indie CS:Go). 

Decided to try a common benchmark (Heaven Benchmark 4.0) to compare against others and my "theory" turned into a full sad face, here's why:

Engine Heaven Benchmark 4.0

FPS: 30.7
Score: 773
Min FPS: 8.3
Max FPS: 59.3

System

Platform: MacOS latest version (with official eGPU support)
CPU: i5-7360U
GPU: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640/Radeon RX580 (256mb) x1 <-- why it says 256mb when it should be 8gb? 🙁 x1??

Settings
Render: OpenGL
Mode: 1920x1080 8x AA fullscreen
Preset: Custom
Quality: Ultra
Tesselation: Extreme

The settings are based on  https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/post-results-of-your-egpu-score-in-heaven-benchmark/ and from that topic I realized that I might have something wrong here? I don't know.. a score of 773 is pretty low for this gpu!

Let me know your thoughts!

Cheers Smile

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

This doesn't seem too far off for macOS. The majority of results on that thread are Windows results. Here's the results I got when pairing a Zotac AMP Box Mini + RX 580 to 2016 15" MacBook Pro.

This same hardware under Windows performs much better.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

I experienced terrible FPS on my hackintosh in macOS compared to W10... games just dont run as well sadly.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 560 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node Lite) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
d0cz
 d0cz
(@d0cz)

Thanks guys!!

itsage's results and a review that I found last night https://www.imore.com/how-much-performance-boost-does-egpu-dev-kit-provide  proved that my setup is fine.

I know that macOS is bad for gaming, but I just wanted to make sure that what I have is working properly and there are no faulty hardwares that I'd be missing out.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote