Notifications
Clear all

Poor performance with MacBook 13 2017 + Sonnet 350w + RX580 Nitro+  

RSS

d0cz
 d0cz
(@d0cz)

Hi there,

So, this week I finally got a sonnet breakaway box (350w) with a Sapphire RX580 Nitro+ and I was... somewhat happy with the new performance but I realized it was not 100% yet.

I wanted an eGPU so I could share its power with my Mac and a future windows pc (like the new Intel NUC), but I was expecting a little more from this MacBook.

Downloaded couple games from Steam that I had on my cloud library, just waiting to try with the new setup and ended up 50%, the performance was definitely hit or miss. I was not expecting slowdowns or "lags" on indie games like that (Firewatch, The Long Dark and a non-indie CS:Go). 

Decided to try a common benchmark (Heaven Benchmark 4.0) to compare against others and my "theory" turned into a full sad face, here's why:

Engine Heaven Benchmark 4.0

FPS: 30.7
Score: 773
Min FPS: 8.3
Max FPS: 59.3

System

Platform: MacOS latest version (with official eGPU support)
CPU: i5-7360U
GPU: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640/Radeon RX580 (256mb) x1 <-- why it says 256mb when it should be 8gb? 🙁 x1??

Settings
Render: OpenGL
Mode: 1920x1080 8x AA fullscreen
Preset: Custom
Quality: Ultra
Tesselation: Extreme

The settings are based on  https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/post-results-of-your-egpu-score-in-heaven-benchmark/ and from that topic I realized that I might have something wrong here? I don't know.. a score of 773 is pretty low for this gpu!

Let me know your thoughts!

Cheers Smile

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

This doesn't seem too far off for macOS. The majority of results on that thread are Windows results. Here's the results I got when pairing a Zotac AMP Box Mini + RX 580 to 2016 15" MacBook Pro.

This same hardware under Windows performs much better.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Famed Member Moderator

I experienced terrible FPS on my hackintosh in macOS compared to W10... games just dont run as well sadly.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node Lite) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
d0cz
 d0cz
(@d0cz)

Thanks guys!!

itsage's results and a review that I found last night https://www.imore.com/how-much-performance-boost-does-egpu-dev-kit-provide  proved that my setup is fine.

I know that macOS is bad for gaming, but I just wanted to make sure that what I have is working properly and there are no faulty hardwares that I'd be missing out.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote