Poor performance with Razer Core X / Vega 56 / MacBook Pro 15" 2017

Notifications

Poor performance with Razer Core X / Vega 56 / MacBook Pro 15" 2017  

RSS

galad
(@galad)

I've got a Razer Core X / Vega 56 / MacBook Pro 15" 2017 with an external monitor is connected to the eGPU, but performance in games seems very poor at every resolution. I tried Rise of the Tomb Raider, but it in a lot of place instead of dropping frame it slowdowns with Lara moving really slow for two or more seconds, like frames are getting delayed or the whole game simulation slows down.

Any idea?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

More info would be good...

In macOS?
what res?
what FPS?
gpu usage in activity monitor?

Tombraider is pretty easy to run, I wonder if it’s not using your eGPU for some reason?

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
galad
(@galad)

Both macOS 10.14.6 and 10.15
Every res. It's more noticeable at 1920x1080 but it happens on lower res / graphics settings too. This happens in open area when looking at a complex scene. But only the MacBook Pro Radeon 555 it just drops frames, it doesn't slow down like this.
FPS is the benchmark is ~ 60fps.

Activity monitor shows the eGPU working near 95% usually.

I am not using the Razer Core X built-in cable because it was a refurb and it was missing the thunderbolt cable, so I bought this one: https://www.amazon.com/Certified-Plugable-Thunderbolt-40Gbps-Compatible/dp/B07R43LPCX/

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

It looks like Vsync is on.

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote