Setup & Software Discussions
Possible? MacBook Pro --> AMD WX9100 eGPU --> LG HDR 5K via Thunderbolt

[Solved] Possible? MacBook Pro --> AMD WX9100 eGPU --> LG HDR 5K via Thunderbolt  

RSS

ew6050
(@ew6050)

GOAL
How can I get 2x 3840 x 1620 Retina resolution on the LG HDR 5K using my eGPU?

SETUP

CURRENT BEHAVIOR

Any suggestions would be awesome as I am so close to my dream setup!

* MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018) with 2.9 GHz Intel Core i9, 32GB, and Radeon Pro Vega 20 4 GB graphics.
* External display is the LG HDR 5K with Thunderbolt3.
* AMD WX9100 attached via a Razor Core X Chroma eGPU.

ReplyQuote
Aled Brown
(@gelert42)
Eminent Member

Let me know if you get this working because I have almost the exact same setup but need a new monitor to replace my Apple Cinema 30 HD that is 10 years old now. I have the WX 9100 + 2019 i9 MBP15 with VEGA 20 ready to go.

I didn't know a 5120x2160 display could support 3840 x 1620 (@2x) at all. You're saying it works with the VEGA 20... but the performance isn't good enough?

I'm used to 2560 x 1600 and I definitely do not want to loose the vertical height. So I'm looking for a monitor that can give me the real workspace of 1600 high but at retina quality.

I would expect that it would work with a Blackmagic TB3 eGPU then.

What apps are you using the WX 9100 for? Some work as "compute units" and don't need to drive the display to accelerate things but other apps just have to have the display coming from the GPU which is a pain. Are we expecting macOS 10.15 will make this any better?

The software I use most with eGPU is AMD's Pro Render and that lets you select which eGPU to compute with (which is brilliant) so I don't need to drive the display. But apps like Adobe Premiere doesn't work like that.

I've bee working it out with a tape measure and a Photoshop image with a screenshot of 3840 x 1620 @2x embedded in 5120x2160 and then comparing it to my 30 inch physically and even without the bezels the Apple 30 inch is way taller so even though the workspace would be the same height the size of the text / icons would have to be smaller physically to get the same workspace as I have now.

Even the iMac Pro 27 inch 5K display looses workspace height over the Apple 30 inch Cinema.

The only display that's going to cut it is the new Apple 6K. Time to save up. It'll be worth it for 10 years of use.... I hope.

This post was modified 4 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

macOS doesn’t handle scaling on unusual resolution monitors very well. Give this post a read and see if it helps with your setup.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
ew6050
(@ew6050)

Thank you for the reply. 

It seems to work flawlessly when I replace the Razer with the BlackMagic Pro eGPU, but of course the LG display is then connected via Thunderbolt3 to the eGPU. 

The reason I am trying to get the Razer to work is so I can use the same setup with my Mac and my Lenovo ThinkPad, FYI.

* MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018) with 2.9 GHz Intel Core i9, 32GB, and Radeon Pro Vega 20 4 GB graphics.

OliverB liked
ReplyQuote
Aled Brown
(@gelert42)
Eminent Member

Still that's good info that it works with the Blackmagic eGPU. Thanks.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: ew6050

Thank you for the reply. 

It seems to work flawlessly when I replace the Razer with the BlackMagic Pro eGPU, but of course the LG display is then connected via Thunderbolt3 to the eGPU. 

@eightarmedpet You are reading this?

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

@oliverb I ddid indeed! Cheers Oliver, but looks like OP is talking about macOS... good to hear the Blackmagic powered other TB3 displays in macOS though.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

OliverB liked
ReplyQuote
ew6050
(@ew6050)

Posted by: itsage

macOS doesn't handle scaling on unusual resolution monitors very well. Give this post a read and see if it helps with your setup.

Excellent! This totally got to working via DisplayPort! Thank you very much!!!!

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@ew6050 That’s wonderful to hear! The WX 9100 + Razer Core X is definitely more powerful than Blackmagic eGPU Pro and can work with your Thinkpad with ease.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Honorable Member

I would use SwitchResX to handle the plist stuff (adding custom timings and scaled resolutions). Then I would use SwitchResX to view the timing info for the current resolution to make sure it's running at the correct timing (sometimes a 5K display runs using 4K timing even though the frame buffer size is 5K).

ReplyQuote