Notifications
Clear all

Preliminary MPX (580X) Success!  

of  2
  RSS

tsercitpo
(@tsercitpo)

I acquired a 580X MPX module off eBay to see if I could get it to work as an eGPU. Just plugging it in to the Razer Core X Chroma yielded nothing. This was mostly expected given that it didn't have the additional +12V power connected.

Assuming that the missing power was the only issue, I acquired a PCIe power extension cable, cut off one end and soldered the three +12V wires to side B and the remaining five wires to side A of the large power connector of the MPX module. I verified there were no shorts with a multimeter and then wrapped it all in blue electrical tape (see photo) I should also mention that I used the multimeter to determine which side of the large power connector was ground. I also had a fan blowing air through the module which can be seen towards the top of the photo.

I crossed my fingers (and toes) and then powered up everything...it worked! I tested with a 15" MBP that is on Mojave 10.14.6 and it recognized it immediately (see photos) While this all seems promising, given how I had everything hooked up and delicately balanced, I wasn't able to test actually plugging a monitor into the HDMI ports. I will attempt that at a later date. I will also update to Catalina.

I used the 580X for testing as it was relatively affordable and if things went south I wouldn't be out too much money. If this solution can be refined, it would be interesting to test the W5700X (and perhaps the Pro Vegas) as those would be much more useful given that they have thunderbolt outputs (which may or may not work...)

Hardware Overview

System Information

eGPU Eject

This topic was modified 7 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ikir and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@tsercitpo, Thank you for sharing this finding! Would be really cool to figure out Thunderbolt 3 monitor output from theses MPX cards.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

We need PCIe and DisplayPort pinouts.

The Radeon Pro 580X MPX has four DisplayPort outputs (4 lanes). It has no Thunderbolt so it doesn't have PCIe.

Radeon Pro Vega II has only two DisplayPort outputs (4 lanes each) and two 4 lane PCIe outputs for Thunderbolt.

How would you find the pinout for the DisplayPort outputs? There are various DisplayPort MUX or switches that route the signals to one of the four Thunderbolt ports (top or I/O card) so it might be difficult - the MUXs would have to be operational? I guess you could compare the signals from the MPX slot to the signals from a Thunderbolt port but the Thunderbolt controller might modify it somewhat.

PCIe might be easier - if you can find a motherboard schematic showing the pinout of a Titan Ridge controller.

It would be handy to find a slot (edge connector) with the same pin pitch of the MPX pins.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

Posted by: @joevt

PCIe might be easier - if you can find a motherboard schematic showing the pinout of a Titan Ridge controller.

Actually, you could get the pinout from a GC-TITAN RIDGE probably.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
tsercitpo
(@tsercitpo)

Updates:

- Card still recognized under Catalina 10.15.4.

- Tried testing HDMI outputs using an external display that can be driven via USB-C or mini HDMI. Unfortunately it did not get a signal via HDMI (but worked fine via USB-C) Will try to test with other devices. Will also get iStats installed so I can see temps, voltages etc... (hopefully) for the MPX card.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ikir and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

Posted by: @tsercitpo

(but worked fine via USB-C)

USB-C to what?

ReplyQuote
tsercitpo
(@tsercitpo)

The monitor I used to test with has both USB-C and mini HDMI inputs. I tested the monitor just to make sure it was still working via the USB-C input with the MBP. I did another test with a USB-C to HDMI adapter with the MBP to test the HDMI input of the monitor and it worked, however the picture didn't look as clear as it did via the USB-C input. The HDMI adapter isn't the highest quality though so perhaps that was the reason. Regardless, I will try to test with another display.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

Two strange things in your screenshot:

Automatic Graphics Switching
gMux Version

What are those about I wonder?

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@tsercitpo, there is some discussion about this at
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/gop-boot-screens-part-ii-clover.2154908/page-6?post=28483525#post-28483525

Basically, there is speculation that the MPX module doesn't have all the code necessary to make it work in a different Mac unlike a normal GPU? That seems strange. I guess collection of some info/data can prove or disprove that easily.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

ReplyQuote
 of  2