Setup & Software Discussions
Problem setting up Aorus GTX1070 Gaming ...

Problem setting up Aorus GTX1070 Gaming Box with Macbook Pro Late-2013 15'' with GT 750m  

RSS

jhujhux2
(@jhujhux2)
Jul 27, 2017 5:48 am  

Hello all,

I recently purchased a Aorus GTX1070 Gaming Box and today it has arrived. It costs $600 and in my opinion it's quite a good deal. However, I failed to get it to work on either MacOS and Bootcamp windows.

On MacOs I got it recognized in the system report, and GTX 1070 shows correctly in the Graphics section. However, I got a sense that it's not actually running. Unigine Valley returned the same frame rate with or without the eGPU, which is around 15 fps at ultra settings. There should be a more visible performance boost, right?

On windows 10 & 8 I failed to get the graphics card to appear in the device manger at all. I think I will work on EFI and try disable the 750m tomorrow.

It's been a really frustrating process setting it up. I bought it to run my machine learning code, and it's quite a big deal to me. If you have any advice please don't hesitate to respond to me. I will keep you guys posted if I make advances.

Thanks!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
ReverseArchaeologist
(@reversearchaeologist)
Jul 27, 2017 10:21 am  

Hi!

I got mine working just fine on the Iris-model (also late 2013 15") by following the steps as described over here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/eGPU/comments/6pas54/aorus_gaming_box_macbook_pro_15_late_2013_iris/

I'll write a more thorough implementation guide for egpu.io, probably this weekend.

Good luck!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
Jul 27, 2017 5:55 pm  

Success on the 750M notebooks with external NVIDIA cards + TB3 enclosures have been... well - limited. I've been able to get a 980Ti to work on macOS, but Windows has never worked for me. It should work on macOS - you need an external display connected to your eGPU.

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
----
Troubleshooting eGPUs on macOS
Command Line Swiss Knife
eGPU Hardware Chart
Multiple Build Guides
----
Current: MacBook Pro RP560X + 480/R9 Fury/Vega 64 | GTX 780/1070
Previous: 2014 MacBook Pro 750M + 480/R9 Fury | GTX 780/980 Ti/1070

ReplyQuote
jhujhux2
(@jhujhux2)
Jul 27, 2017 11:13 pm  

Hello ReverseArcaeologist,

Thanks for the steps! I'm following what you wrote on Reddit and I've got Iris Pro running on my Win 10 along with 750m with the USB efi boot. However, I couldn't get Aorus 1070 to show up at device manager. What steps did you take to make it happen?

I also tried to use rEFInd. I uncommented the spoof line and only 750m showed up, which is unlike what I saw on Deleting rEFInd simply corrupts the windows 10 partition

Right now I'm trying to reinstall Win 10 with a lower version (1511). Fingers crossed. I'm looking forward to your implementation guide! Thanks for the advice!

ReplyQuote
jhujhux2
(@jhujhux2)
Jul 27, 2017 11:19 pm  

Hi mac_editor,

I have got my Aorus to work on macOS, partially I guess. 

The Valley benchmark still uses the 750m, and I cannot find any way to make it use GTX1070. I tried to run a computer game, and the performance wasn't better. I do not have an external display. Do you think creating a ghost display would make it work, e.g. using spectacle?

Good news is that today I recompiled pyTorch, a machine learning library, so that it detects Aorus 1070, and it worked on macOS. I was able to manually select CUDA device to be Aorus 1070 instead of 750m in the script, and the speed boost was very visible.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
Jul 28, 2017 7:07 am  
Posted by: jhujhux2

Hi mac_editor,

I have got my Aorus to work on macOS, partially I guess. 

The Valley benchmark still uses the 750m, and I cannot find any way to make it use GTX1070. I tried to run a computer game, and the performance wasn't better. I do not have an external display. Do you think creating a ghost display would make it work, e.g. using spectacle?

Good news is that today I recompiled pyTorch, a machine learning library, so that it detects Aorus 1070, and it worked on macOS. I was able to manually select CUDA device to be Aorus 1070 instead of 750m in the script, and the speed boost was very visible.

You will need to plug in a video-out into your external GPU for acceleration. Try any of the ghost adapters available on Amazon. Should be cheap. Windows detection has not worked for this model so far on any TB3 enclosure at the time of writing.

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
eGPU Hardware Chart
Multiple Build Guides
----

ReplyQuote
jhujhux2
(@jhujhux2)
Jul 28, 2017 8:02 am  

Hi mac_editor,

Thanks for the reply. I'm purchasing a ghost adapter right now. As you mentioned, Windows detection is an issue. I have been trying to sort it out all day, but I believe I have identified the problem, and I just need a solution. So here is the update.

I am trying to run gpu-switch to have the 1070 be detected on Windows. However, if I reboot with Aorus plugged in after running gpu-switch, my macbook does not pass POST, as you know. Running automate-eGPU.sh -a on MacOS allows me to bypass POST and enter Windows through EFI. The problem is that, if I enter macOS, the gpu-switch settings are not effective when I boot back to Windows. To be specific, dxdiag shows that I use integrated graphics if I boot back to Windows directly and shows 750m if I boot into macOS then Windows, which is necessary to use the -a option.

To summarize, I need a way to make sure that the next boot into Windows uses the integrated graphics card, from mac OS. The macOS version of gpu-switch -i option does not stay on Windows. Or I could find a way to bypass POST without relying on automate-eGPU.sh -a option. rEFInd might do but I'm trying really hard to avoid using it, since it's too complicated and I have screwed up myself several times experimenting with it already. Has anyone had success with rEFInd on this issue?

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
Jul 28, 2017 8:06 am  

Using the -a mode of the script in macOS may prevent detection of external graphics in Windows on older macs. It should be generally avoided on this Mac. It may be useful for macOS-only implementations.

Also gpu-switch is only applicable after the GPU has been detected and set up to run.

The POST bypass issue is where we are all stuck at with this configuration.

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
eGPU Hardware Chart
Multiple Build Guides
----

ReplyQuote
jhujhux2
(@jhujhux2)
Aug 1, 2017 4:11 am  

You are right mac_editor. I was never able to bypass the POST. I am returning my Aorus now since I want to a set up that can run on Bootcamp.

Help me out here, what kind of setup work with late-2013 macbooks with 750m? Do all thunderbolt 2 work? Do all radeon cards work? Or is there some tricky thing I should pay attention to?

I would prefer a Nvidia card so I could run CUDA natively. I have not found any article on this particular model. Please advice here. Thank you.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
Aug 1, 2017 6:26 am  

@jhujhux2: Radeon cards should work in Windows -> no POST issues. AMD offers official support software on Windows w/ XConnect (best for external display - don't know if ghost adapters work | also offers internal display acceleration - iGPU enabled required). If you are intent on using NVIDIA, a TB2 enclosure is the only viable known working option.

See this guide for reference:  https://egpu.io/forums/builds/mid-2014-15-macbook-pro-gt-750m-titan-xp16gbps-tb2-thunder2-macos-win10-p-mac/

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
eGPU Hardware Chart
Multiple Build Guides
----

ReplyQuote
jhujhux2
(@jhujhux2)
Aug 2, 2017 7:24 am  

Thanks. I will try Akitio Thunder2 with GTX 1080. I will post the results if it's successful. I have not seen any implementation with this configuration, but I hope 10xx cards behave the same.

ReplyQuote
gabetjh
(@gabetjh)
Aug 14, 2017 11:23 am  

Such a pity that the Gaming box doesn't work with dGPU or rather most eGPU have issues with MBP with dGPUs. Anyways I've forwarded this issue to Aorus and hope they can look into it too. I know there are guides that shows it work but I'm just looking for something similar to the Gaming box without much tweaking needed with wires/power supply etc.

late-2013 15'' Macbook Pro Retina GT750M + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win10

ReplyQuote
vesper8
(@vesper8)
Aug 25, 2017 11:31 pm  

I'm in the same boat and so so soooo disapointed !!! I don't want to RMA the Aorus.. but I fear I may have no choice.. I'm not even sure if I can

I have a MBPr late-2013 with the 750m. After much fiddling around I was able to get it to work completely on Sierra 10.12.6, the missing trick was simply the timing of connecting the TB2 cable right after hitting enter with my Filevault password. That and having an external monitor connected to the Aorus

However the whole reason I got this was so I could do some serious gaming in Windows.. and so far it has been nothing but fails there.. can't even detect the 1070 at all. Have tried gpu-switch, apple_set_os.efi, disabling the 750m. I haven't tried disabling the 750m with the special Refind hex commands. My Windows is on a separate USB SSD

So.. is it my understanding that if I swap the 1070 by an AMD card that fits in the Aorus my problems will completely go away ?

Is anyone hopeful that there will be a way to get this to work on models like mine that have a dGPU on Windows? Has anyone ever gotten it to work at all?

ReplyQuote
Antharsious
(@antharsious)
Trusted Member
Aug 26, 2017 6:00 am  

Unfortunately there is no success story regarding the 750m with a thunderbolt 3 enclosure coupled with a NVIDIA card on Windows Bootcamp. Older NVIDIA cards than the 10** and 9** series may work but that won't get us too far...

If you use an AMD card, you will be alright... It will also work using a thunderbolt 2 enclosure. That's what I did...

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/mid-2014-macbook-pro-w-750m-rx-480-akitio-node-on-macos-win-10/

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2014-15-macbook-pro-gt750m-gtx106016gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-win10/

A lot is moving now with the Aorus appearing on the market. If you're not able to use it however (implementation with the 750m on Bootcamp), an Akitio thunder2 is your best option...

2014 15" Macbook Pro GT750M + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win10

Impact of Turboboost on performances and fan noise level (MacBook Pro)

ReplyQuote
lolasaboss
(@lolasaboss)
Sep 3, 2017 4:27 pm  

TB3>TB2 enclosure only work with 7 series or older NVIDIA card on Windows, but It works fine with any AMD card.

ReplyQuote
dan7ez
(@dan7ez)
Sep 27, 2017 10:51 am  

hi

im trying to install/setup the aorus gaming box 1070 on macOS sierra high 10.13 (latest)

the gaming box is detected (usb, thunderbolt 2,) - my mac is a late 2013 macbook pro

However, when i connect the external monitor, nothing happens I dont get any image on screen via hdmi?

also how to get the graphics connected etc.

in system settings it sees the gaming box?

from what is understood the sierra high 10.13 update was suppose to improve support for these external graphics boxes? i.e. plug and play should work on mac now?

cheers

ReplyQuote
André Santos Silva
(@andre_santos_silva)
Sep 27, 2017 1:17 pm  

Someone more skilled in this matter may provide better/more complete answers but atm there is no support for nvidia gpus on high Sierra. ( on Sierra there is support)

i would recommend that you consult the several build guides on the site! 

late-2013 13" Macbook Pro Retina + [email protected] (Sonnet Greakaway 350 via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS10.13 & Win10

ReplyQuote