Problems: 2016 15" MBP w/TB + Radeon Pro 460 + Akitio Node + nvidia 1080 Ti + LG...

Notifications
Clear all

Problems: 2016 15" MBP w/TB + Radeon Pro 460 + Akitio Node + nvidia 1080 Ti + LG Ultrafine 5k  

of  2
  RSS

JonnieCache
(@jonniecache)

Well, I was all excited that today would (finally) be the day that I am able to use my eGPU. I just received my Akitio Node and (with the new beta driver out) my nvidia GTX 1080 Ti. I was sure that with all of the wealth of information here that I could get everything up and running right away. Alas, I am having some significant trouble. I'm hoping all of you people who are smarter than I about all of this can help!

My hardware setup is in the title. I have the LG Ultrafine 5k monitor plugged into the rear port on the left side of the MBP. The Akitio Node is plugged into the rear port on the right side of the MBP.

I have had some problems getting the eGPU to work correctly with the internal display, but my primary intended use for the eGPU will be with my LG Ultrafine 5k monitor. If I ever get to the point where I use the internal display, I'll make a separate post if I need help on that.

I believe that the installation of everything went as expected. I followed all of the steps outlined here. Here is a screenshot showing the 1080 Ti:

Screen Shot 2017 04 13 at 4.25.44 PM

However, I am experiencing a couple of unique issues.

I am using this HDMI Headless adapter: https://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/ADP4KHEAD/

Issue #1: Regardless of whether I have my laptop open or closed, I see an extra monitor listed. It is listed as VGA Display. This display is in addition to the NT Headless display. Here are some screenshots:

Screen Shot 2017 04 13 at 4.25.33 PM
Screen Shot 2017 04 13 at 5.33.13 PM

I have no idea where this fantom VGA Display is coming from. It only appears when I have my LG monitor plugged in. I don't know why it is there, whether it is a good or bad thing, or whether it is otherwise affecting the performance of the system or causing problems.

Issue #2: I assume that because I am using the LG monitor via TB3 (and not connected directly to the GPU, I need to follow the steps as outlined here. However, because the monitor is at 5k resolution (5120 x 2880), I don't think I can make the NT Headless Display resolution match. Here is what I see from DisableMonitor:

Screen Shot 2017 04 13 at 5.32.20 PM

Notice that although it goes much higher than 4k resolution, the specific resolution of 5120 x 2880 is missing from the list.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, if anything. Any help you can provide is appreciated!

JC

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
enjoy
(@enjoy)
Reputable Member

eGPUcache thread for sure Smile

1. Unplug your LG 5k monitor and make the fake monitor primary!

2. If you want to use the 5k monitor you need to connect it to GPU not to the your mac!

3. You must know that you will have big perfromance drop if you want to use big resolutions with your eGPU even with 1080TI!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Later 2013) 3.2GHz Quad Core Intel i7-4750HQ / 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 / 256GB SSD + 1TB
mini eGPUPCI Express vs. ThunderboltMac CAN gameGaming Laptops vs. MacBook Pro with eGPU

2012 13" MacBook Air [3rd,2C,U] + GTX 1060 @ 10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.12 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
JonnieCache
(@jonniecache)

Posted by: enjoy

eGPUcache thread for sure Smile

1. Unplug your LG 5k monitor and make the fake monitor primary!

2. If you want to use the 5k monitor you need to connect it to GPU not to the your mac!

3. You must know that you will have big perfromance drop if you want to use big resolutions with your eGPU even with 1080TI!

I know it will take a performance hit, but unfortunately, the LG Ultrafine 5k Monitor is a Thunderbolt 3 monitor and must be connected directly to the MBP. It is not possible to connect it via DisplayPort. I do have the fake monitor made as primary, but I still get that weird VGA monitor that shows up.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: JonnieCache

I know it will take a performance hit, but unfortunately, the LG Ultrafine 5k Monitor is a Thunderbolt 3 monitor and must be connected directly to the MBP. It is not possible to connect it via DisplayPort. I do have the fake monitor made as primary, but I still get that weird VGA monitor that shows up.

Perhaps try using a Thunderbolt 3 to Dual Displayport adapter to connect your 5k display to your eGPU (two DPs will be taken for a single display). Not sure if this will work though, but it seems like a common way in general to connect [email protected] displays through DisplayPort.

Although I do think that DP1.4 on the 1080 Ti supports 5k@60 (even 1.3 does). I couldn't find a single cable adapter for T3 to DP1.4 but maybe I didn't look hard enough.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator

There is no DisplayPort to Thunderbolt3 adapter. You can connect DisplayPort to TB3, but not vice versa.

JonnieCache, look into creating/forcing custom resolutions in OS X. It can be done on Windows, and I would expect it to be somehow possible on OS X as well. Then you should be able to set the fake monitor to 5120x2880 and then set the fake and the Ultrafine as clones of each other. Hopefully that will work.

Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

2012 14" Lenovo Thinkpad T430s [3rd,2C,M] + RX 550 @ 10Gbps-TB1 (Atto Thunderlink) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
enjoy
(@enjoy)
Reputable Member

Ahaaa now i understand.. you want to move app from the fake display to your  LG 5k monitor, you must create custom resolution on the fake display to be the same like the monitor and it work IMO! 

try SwitchResX -  http://www.madrau.com/

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Later 2013) 3.2GHz Quad Core Intel i7-4750HQ / 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 / 256GB SSD + 1TB
mini eGPUPCI Express vs. ThunderboltMac CAN gameGaming Laptops vs. MacBook Pro with eGPU

2012 13" MacBook Air [3rd,2C,U] + GTX 1060 @ 10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.12 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@JonnieCache Let's approach this one step at a time. What you're trying to do is rather advanced and there's only a handful of success reports. The first priority is to make sure the eGPU is working with your MBP. Also keep in mind, GTX 10 series web drivers are in beta and there are glitches. What you're experiencing could very well be one of the kinks that have yet to be resolved.

Arrangement 1:

15" MBP « » TB3 cable « » Node + GTX 1080 Ti

Check System Information » Graphics/Displays to see the GTX 1080 Ti is showing with Metal support. Run an OpenCL app such as Luxmark to confirm the GTX 1080 Ti eGPU is working with your MacBook Pro.

Arrangement 2:

15" MBP « » TB3 cable « » Node + GTX 1080 Ti  « » HDMI adapter

Make sure you can switch apps from the ghost display back to the internal display. Once you accomplish this, proceed to add the 5K Thunderbolt 3 display into the mix.

Arrangement 3:

5K TB3 Display « » 15" MBP « » TB3 cable « » Node + GTX 1080 Ti  « » HDMI adapter

At this point there should be 3 displays: 5K, MBP internal, and ghost. The ghost display should be set as primary so that all apps are launched through it with eGPU acceleration. You would then proceed to switch the app to the 5K display through the use of Spectacle.

It will take more than several tries and plenty of frustration. You'll get it sorted out eventually.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
JonnieCache
(@jonniecache)

Posted by: itsage

@JonnieCache Let's approach this one step at a time. What you're trying to do is rather advanced and there's only a handful of success reports. The first priority is to make sure the eGPU is working with your MBP. Also keep in mind, GTX 10 series web drivers are in beta and there are glitches. What you're experiencing could very well be one of the kinks that have yet to be resolved.

Arrangement 1:

15" MBP « » TB3 cable « » Node + GTX 1080 Ti

Check System Information » Graphics/Displays to see the GTX 1080 Ti is showing with Metal support. Run an OpenCL app such as Luxmark to confirm the GTX 1080 Ti eGPU is working with your MacBook Pro.

Arrangement 2:

15" MBP « » TB3 cable « » Node + GTX 1080 Ti  « » HDMI adapter

Make sure you can switch apps from the ghost display back to the internal display. Once you accomplish this, proceed to add the 5K Thunderbolt 3 display into the mix.

Arrangement 3:

5K TB3 Display « » 15" MBP « » TB3 cable « » Node + GTX 1080 Ti  « » HDMI adapter

At this point there should be 3 displays: 5K, MBP internal, and ghost. The ghost display should be set as primary so that all apps are launched through it with eGPU acceleration. You would then proceed to switch the app to the 5K display through the use of Spectacle.

It will take more than several tries and plenty of frustration. You'll get it sorted out eventually.

Thank you for jumping in, @itsage! You are the man, for sure! I have been working on this off and on since yesterday. I have tried SwitchResX (I happen to already have it) and I think there may be a more fundamental problem with the beta driver.

This morning, I tried going back to basics. I booted up my MBP with nothing connected. Everything worked fine.

I booted up my MBP with just my 5k display connected. It wouldn't boot successfully until I unplugged my monitor again.

Once I have my 5k display connected, there is a phantom VGA Display that is somehow recognized. This is definitely complicating things and making it more difficult to deal with the different resolutions. It says to me that there are problems with the nvidia beta drivers.

I tried to add some screenshots of what I see with just the 5k monitor attached. But, I received "Error HTTP 2.0/500"

If you look at my screenshots above, you will see the VGA Display that I'm referring to.

I think what I am going to try is to uninstall the beta nvidia driver and see if the VGA Display disappears. Then, I will install the older GTX 980 driver to see if that has the same problem. I will report back.

ReplyQuote
JonnieCache
(@jonniecache)

Okay. I uninstalled the beta nvidia driver from the System Preferences. Unfortunately, that did NOT get rid of the VGA Display (see screenshots above). That means that somehow the script must alter something on the Mac that creates this VGA Display. Prior to running the script, everything worked correctly. Again, the VGA Display only appears when the LG 5k display is plugged in.

I just ran "automate-eGPU.sh -uninstall" and that got rid of the phantom VGA Display. Now when plugged in to the 5k Display, only the 5k Display appears.

Any help is appreciated. @itsage?

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

I reviewed at the screen caps. VGA Display in this instance seems to be the MBP's internal display. You can see the Radeon Pro is powering the LG 5K and this VGA/Internal display.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  2