Notifications
Clear all

BOOT PROBLEM: Aorus Gaming Box on MBP 13" Early 2015  

of  3
  RSS

bitinn
(@bitinn)
Eminent Member

So after I am done with my Macbook Air setup, I decide to try out the same solution on Macbook Pro early 2015 13" (Intel graphics only).

Annoyingly, I am running into a few problems: the main one is my TB2 ports just doesn't recognize the Gaming Box, see screenshots:

Screen Shot 2017 09 04 at 04.42.29
Screen Shot 2017 09 04 at 04.42.17

I have done the following:

- Install Web Driver and CUDA

- Disabled SIP

- Reboot/Shutdown multiple times

- Try hot plugging the eGPU, or plugging eGPU power line, or plugging TB at login screen.

- None make my MBP recognize the Gaming Box / GTX 1070 card

Result from 2 solutions:

- automate-eGPU: tells me "Hot-plug the Thunderbolt cable and run the script again." Tried different approaches as mentioned above, but to no avail.

- eGPU Enabler: installation runs fine, but still cannot detect eGPU. What's more, is that IF I clean shutdown, plug in the eGPU TB line, and boot macOS, the mac will stuck in black screen (but I can feel MBP getting warmer).

TL;DR: So I have tried plug in at shutdown, plug in during boot, plug in at logic screen, none made my MBP recognize my Gaming Box, nor do they show Thunderbolt port as connected.

What problem could this be?

I should note that ALL the lines are used in my Macbook Air setup, so I assume they are fine.

And my Macbook Pro is new enough I assume both TB2 ports should be working.

Hopefully I am not missing something obvious.

(Oh BTW I ran TB3-enabler just in case, but of course it did not fix this issue.)

mid-2012 11" MacBook Air + [email protected] (Aorus Gaming Box via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS10.12

2015 13" MacBook Pro [5th,2C,U] + GTX 1070 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + macOS 10.13 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

[GUIDE] MBP eGPU detection issues: delayed hotplugging, PERST# switch tells you: 

2. Boot into MacOS with no eGPU connected, run the ‘automate-eGPU.sh -a‘ . The “-a” flag explained as:
-a option does the same as hot plugging during the boot process. As of macOS Sierra, Apple changed kext loading mechanism significantly and I am not sure if this is required at present but it was necessary to turn on with Macs released after 2014. The -a mode is not supported on Macs released after 2015.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
bitinn
(@bitinn)
Eminent Member

Posted by: nando4

[GUIDE] MBP eGPU detection issues: delayed hotplugging, PERST# switch tells you: 

2. Boot into MacOS with no eGPU connected, run the ‘automate-eGPU.sh -a‘ . The “-a” flag explained as:
-a option does the same as hot plugging during the boot process. As of macOS Sierra, Apple changed kext loading mechanism significantly and I am not sure if this is required at present but it was necessary to turn on with Macs released after 2014. The -a mode is not supported on Macs released after 2015.

MBP 2015 is not very consistent with how eGPU is detected, so I will update my progress so far:

- After running "automate-eGPU.sh -a" with no eGPU connected, without reboot, I am somehow able to connect eGPU and macOS would detect the thunderbolt connection.

- BUT, I cannot plug in the eGPU while shutdown, as it still result in black screen. AND I cannot plug in the eGPU while at the logic screen, as it prevents me from moving the mouse or entering password.

- So I manage to get it "detected", but cannot find a way to "use" it (no HDMI output and no 2 display shown).

I will give @Matt's solution a try (even though he is using it for Windows...)

mid-2012 11" MacBook Air + [email protected] (Aorus Gaming Box via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS10.12

2015 13" MacBook Pro [5th,2C,U] + GTX 1070 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + macOS 10.13 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
bitinn
(@bitinn)
Eminent Member

Hi @nando4 and all,

At this point I have tried at least 3 different "tricks" to get macOS 10.12.6 booting properly with Aorus Gaming Box, but none seam to work for me. Have you got any other suggestions?

- First of all, I have ran automate-eGPU.sh and automate-eGPU.sh -a, so the thunderbolt connection to eGPU is detected, and the box lights on, see screenshots:

Screen Shot 2017 09 04 at 12.53.30
Screen Shot 2017 09 04 at 12.53.21

- However, I never managed to get macOS to recognise the GTX 1070 card, nor does it output HDMI signal or show 2 displays in Displays setting. (I am confident my lines, monitor, and eGPU are good because I have just setup Macbook Air using the same hardware.)

- We know MBP 2015 13" is particularly troublesome because it won't boot if you have a powered eGPU thunderbolt connected at startup (ie. stuck in black screen and no boot chime).

- So I have tried a few tricks offered by members of eGPU, but sadly none of them seem to work with Aorus Gaming Box. Let me summarise below: 

- Trick 1 (mentioned in Guide and by @Mgear1981):

a) don't power on eGPU, but plug it in the thunderbolt port

b) hold option key and boot macOS to get into boot menu, when for WIFI search to finish, power eGPU on

c) and continue to boot in to macOS

- Result 1: Aorus Gaming Box doesn't have a power button, so the next best thing I can do is to turn off power socket. With that I find 2 possible result:

i) at boot menu, if Gaming Box is powered but down (ie. no sound at all), macOS can boot but its not detected.

ii) at boot menu, if Gaming Box is powered but idle (ie. a bit of sound but no light), boot menu will freeze.

- Trick 2 (mentioned by Sonnet eGPU guide)

a) perform a timed plug in during launch specifically for my model

Screen Shot 2017 09 04 at 13.10.54
Screen Shot 2017 09 04 at 13.10.19

- Result 2: similar to result 1, if I plug in Gaming Box at macOS login menu, the screen will freeze (ie. no response from keyboard or mouse movement).

----

Any suggestion to workaround the "freeze menu when Aorus Gaming Box is powered and connected" problem is welcomed!

(But I am not comfortable modding my Mac hardware)

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

Boot in verbose mode. I asked you to look at system logs and do you have a fresh 10.12.6 installation (but did not get any answer), there you can see always the reason why something doesn't work. Also, please don't install web drivers manually, or mix different approaches. A system freeze usually is a sign that enclosure firmware or Nvidia card's vBIOS is not macOS compatible.

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi

Mid 2015 15-inch MacBook Pro eGPU Master Thread

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 1809 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
bitinn
(@bitinn)
Eminent Member

Posted by: goalque

Boot in verbose mode. I asked you to look at system logs and do you have a fresh 10.12.6 installation (but did not get any answer), there you can see always the reason why something doesn't work. Also, please don't install web drivers manually, or mix different approaches. A system freeze usually is a sign that enclosure firmware or Nvidia card's vBIOS is not macOS compatible.

Answer some of your questions:

- Not a clean install of 10.12.6 (do you happen to have another definition for "fresh install?")

- I will look into verbose mode and system logs (haven't done it yet).

- I manually downloaded the web driver automate-eGPU.sh tried to download: because my network sucks, so I had to proxy and download it and do a -skip-web-driver instead.

BUT I HAVE SOME GOOD NEWS:

- Because the login menu ALWAYS freeze as soon as I connect a powered Aorus Gaming Box, I have to be super-well-timed:

- What I did was:

1) at the login screen, type in the password first

2) hold my thunderbolt line steady at the TB2 port

3) hit enter so login start

4) plug in before the progress bar start moving (or as soon as it shows up; you can't be too precise.)

5) I will see the internal screen freezes and blacks out,

6) but a few seconds later, the login progress bar starts moving again.

7) And after login completion the HDMI output starts!

8) sweet lord screenshots:

Screen Shot 2017 09 04 at 14.14.38
Screen Shot 2017 09 04 at 13.57.25
Screen Shot 2017 09 04 at 13.54.21

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

That explains a lot: you manually downloaded and installed the web driver. It's not said so in my instructions.

You can't do the -skip-web-driver option, it's meant for Kepler architecture cards only:

-skip-web-driver allows to use Apple’s official Nvidia drivers (Kepler), starting from OS X 10.9.5

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 1809 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
bitinn
(@bitinn)
Eminent Member

That explains a lot: you manually downloaded and installed the web driver. It's not said so in my instructions.

You can't do the -skip-web-driver option, it's meant for Kepler architecture cards only:

-skip-web-driver allows to use Apple’s official Nvidia drivers (Kepler), starting from OS X 10.9.5

Well can I skip the auto download then? Because it won't work for me due to network issue.

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

Nope, unfortunately. The script has to keep track of downloaded packages in order to work correctly.

ReplyQuote
bitinn
(@bitinn)
Eminent Member

Nope, unfortunately. The script has to keep track of downloaded packages in order to work correctly.

No problem, I just tried eGPU enabler (with automate-eGPU uninstalled and rebooted, of course), it works the same, my trick allow Aorus Gaming Box to work with my MBP 2015 13", that's ultimately what I want.

I will be writing an implementation guide soon (as I see no one tried this combo before).

ReplyQuote
 of  3