Notifications
Clear all

BOOT PROBLEM: Aorus Gaming Box on MBP 13" Early 2015  

of  3
  RSS

goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

Okay, but automate-eGPU.sh's -a mode should work and solve the freeze issue with your MBP model across multiple restarts. You can't use the -a mode with the eGPU enabler.

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi

Mid 2015 15-inch MacBook Pro eGPU Master Thread

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 1809 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
bitinn
(@bitinn)
Eminent Member

Posted by: goalque

Okay, but automate-eGPU.sh's -a mode should work and solve the freeze issue with your MBP model across multiple restarts. You can't use the -a mode with the eGPU enabler.

Yeah, but I am not using automate-eGPU.sh now because of the auto install thing (it forces download even when it detects installed web driver to be the same version as the one it tries to download).

What I could try was manual web driver install, then automate-eGPU.sh -skip-web-driver with automate-eGPU.sh -a,  but for multiple reboots it still end up requiring me to do the "trick" I wrote above.

So hopefully someone with better network will test your theory: on a MBP 2015 13" + Aorus Gaming Box, using only automate-eGPU.sh then automate-eGPU.sh -a, with multiple reboots, you should be able to avoid the freeze on thunderbolt connect altogether.

mid-2012 11" MacBook Air + [email protected] (Aorus Gaming Box via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS10.12

2015 13" MacBook Pro [5th,2C,U] + GTX 1070 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + macOS 10.13 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

The problem is that -skip-web-driver modifies wrong kext files. If the Nvidia package is downloaded automatically, then it shouldn't force downloading again for the same macOS build when you rerun the script. I have programmed 2015 13" -a mode functionality some years ago, and then it was confirmed to work.

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 1809 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
bitinn
(@bitinn)
Eminent Member

The problem is that -skip-web-driver modifies wrong kext files. If the Nvidia package is downloaded automatically, then it shouldn't force downloading again for the same macOS build when you rerun the script. I have programmed 2015 13" -a mode functionality some years ago, and then it was confirmed to work.

It would be great IF:

a) I can choose to download it myself and let the script use it.

b) The script should detect a zip file at /tmp, instead of detecting a folder, so I can just place the download in it

c) Just add a flag that skip the download properly.

Any would be great, but I know you don't have time Smile

mid-2012 11" MacBook Air + [email protected] (Aorus Gaming Box via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS10.12

2015 13" MacBook Pro [5th,2C,U] + GTX 1070 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + macOS 10.13 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
bitinn
(@bitinn)
Eminent Member

Hey goalque, I gave this another go, I am 100% certain I can reproduce the freeze even when:

1) I am following your rules to run "automate-eGPU.sh", reboot, then "automate-eGPU.s -a", reboot. No manual install of web driver, no other eGPU hack.

2) Both command have completed successfully, and I have successfully get HDMI output from eGPU.

3) BUT, after a few reboot and shutdown, I can still encounter a freezed login menu: it may freeze as soon as I plug in the thunderbolt line, and once it happens the only solution is to power down the mac.

4) I still can't start my mac with the line connected, it results in 100% black screen and no boot chime.

5) I now have the system.log and kernel log during both a successful startup and a freeze startup. The only problem is I don't have verbose mode enabled. Do I need a verbose mode + freeze startup repo log? What should I be looking for?

TL;DR, maybe Aorus Gaming Box is different?

ReplyQuote
bitinn
(@bitinn)
Eminent Member

Update: now I have a freezed login screen repro under verbose mode. Just not sure what to look for (I extracted kernel log using this command)

log show --predicate 'processImagePath contains "kernel"' --style syslog --last 1d

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

So the -a mode worked till the step 2, at least one successful restart, and then stopped working? Do you have FileVault turned off? macOS creates logs also without the verbose mode but these are not very useful because the POST freeze happens before the kernel takes over.

ReplyQuote
bitinn
(@bitinn)
Eminent Member

So the -a mode worked till the step 2, at least one successful restart, and then stopped working? Do you have FileVault turned off? macOS creates logs also without the verbose mode but these are not very useful because the POST freeze happens before the kernel takes over.

I had it working once, after that I ran into a few scenario:

IF I plug in the line at login screen:

- Login successful, connection detected, but no extra display (ie. no HDMI output)

- Login screen freeze, have to power down.

IF I plug in at shutdown:

- Black screen and no chime at startup, nothing I can do about it.

PS: I had the same problem with eGPU enabler as well, after a few successful uses, I can no longer get it to output HDMI neither (even with my clever "tricks").

PPS: I have FileVault enabled. I am not giving that up easily: it takes hours to re-enable FileVault.

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

My conclusion that a 2015 13" MBP firmware blocks Nvidia Pascal cards completely - Apple's startup manager will never show up with a cold restart, even if the -a mode is turned on.

If you happen to have a Maxwell and the -a mode is turned on:

- 50% cold restart success rate

- 100% warm restart success rate (if you first boot without the eGPU plugged in, hot-plug, and restart)

If you happen to have a Kepler architecture / AMD card, no -a mode required:

- 100% cold & warm restart success rate

The same may apply to the MacBookPro11,3 (w/ 750M).

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@bitinn: The issue seems similar to the 2014 750M MBP (this had the POST issue though) - and the boot procedure you follow is probably identical to what I did too:  https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2014-mbp-w-750m-akitio-node-w-980-ti-mac_editor/

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  3