[QUESTION] Will LG 34BK95U-W (5K2K) + LG 27UL650-W (4K) work with Mid 2017 13" M...

Notifications
Clear all

[QUESTION] Will LG 34BK95U-W (5K2K) + LG 27UL650-W (4K) work with Mid 2017 13" Macbook with 2 Thunderbolt  

RSS

(@andy_chen)

My Macbook Pro:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports)
Processor: 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
Graphics: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB

My plan is to hook up two monitors to this laptop:

LG 34BK95U-W (5K2K)
LG 27UL650-W (4K)

I did some research around the Web but it seems like the iGPU (Iris Plus 640) alone can barely drive the 5K2K and heat up the laptop itself. Given this, I am not even sure if it is even capable of driving another 4K display even if the laptop supports it.

Proposed Build: 

Given Apple's External GPU suggestions, I was thinking of getting a Razer Core X + RX580.

Questions:

1. Even for the latest Apple's Macbook 13 Specs it seems like it can only drive one 5K external monitors and two 4K external monitors. Does the 5K2K counts as actual 5K or is it a 4K monitor. The more important question is will this laptop even be able to drive these two monitors alone with the 2 Thunderbolt Ports.
  2. What I am more curious about is if getting a eGPU would help in this scenario.

Not really looking to take advantage of the GPU performance but the capability of driving the monitor. Really looking to have a smoother daily experience (eg. Netflix, 4K video playback, and some light gaming) and hoping taking the load off from the CPU would help. I would prefer to go down the eGPU path if I know that getting one would help. I am looking to upgrade to a 16" Inch MacBook Pro sometime in the future and can be reused there as well.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@andy_chen, the 5K2K counts as two displays. The built-in display is a third. Intel graphics is limited to 3 displays, therefore you cannot also connect the 4K.

There exist 5Kx1440 displays which count as a single display. They are not HiDPI - just super wide. macOS Intel graphics drivers cannot do timings wider than 4K though (5K2K is actually dual 2560x2160). Windows can do 5Kx1440 though.

The AMD eGPU is a separate GPU (supports 6 displays, DisplayPort 1.4) that is much more capable than the Intel Graphics (3 displays, DisplayPort 1.2). I think the 5K2K has a single link DisplayPort 1.4 mode so you don't need to use the Thunderbolt 3 dual DisplayPort 1.2 mode.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
(@andy_chen)

@joevt, Thanks for your insight!

Based on your suggestion, it seems like the eGPU is the only way to go? I am assuming I will need to connect both monitors to the DisplayPort ports of the RX580?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@andy_chen, yes, if you do not plan on getting different displays. Only the 5K2K needs to be connected to the RX580. You might get better performance if the 4K is also connected to the RX580. The internal display continues to be powered by the iGPU.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote