Setup & Software Discussions
Questions on eGPU with 2015 MBP 13" i7 5th,2C,U?

Questions on eGPU with 2015 MBP 13" i7 5th,2C,U?  

RSS

macbackpro
(@macbackpro)

Super new to the eGPU world so don't mind my misconceptions or knowledge gaps.

Starting Gear:

Early 2015 Macbook Pro 13"

• i7-5557U 3.1GHz
  • Iris 6100 iGPU
  • 256GB SSD(Will upgrade to NVME eventually)
  • 16GB RAM

LG 27UL650-W 4K 60hz Display

I've been digging around and I think the best option for me would be to buy an AORUS box since its the smallest with a GPU already included. My two main questions are. What limitations would I potentially have with using my MBP and an AORUS box? Will I/O get impacted if I connect to the AORUS instead of my mac?(I've seen things hinting towards yes.)

My overall goal is to get my system ready to play current games reasonably well, and to have the ability to upgrade my laptop with minimal change to everything else. I'd rather drop 700+ and then be okay for a while. Than to drop 2-3k for a whole new gaming rig(or laptop) that I'll only casually game on.

My thoughts are that I'd probably only be able to play games in 1080p with my setup. However, I do not mind a 60-80FPS ceiling with 4k.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I definitely do not want a larger eGPU enclosure. I want to minimize clutter as much as possible.

Reading a bit more leads me to believe that using an AMD GPU would be better. Plug and play is going to be the biggest impact for me...

This topic was modified 2 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
macbackpro
(@macbackpro)

I ended up buying a Sapphire nitro+ Vega 64 with the Razer Core X enclosure. Seems to be future proof enough to allow me to upgrade to a better laptop years down the road.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
User99999
(@user99999)
Eminent Member

@macbackpro

I hope you have checked the height and length of the Aorus box against your card...if I am right it won't fit Vega64 and even if it does you may need to get a riser and run without the case.  Why Vega not Navi (cheaper and faster in everything except computation)?

This post was modified 2 months ago

Pending: Macbook Pro Retina Mid 2015 m370x eGPU Radeon Rx 5700 W10

ReplyQuote
macbackpro
(@macbackpro)

@user99999

I wanted a solution that was supported by OSX and windows with out much fuss. Got the Razer Core X enclosure instead of the AORUS.

What GPU would you recommend?

ReplyQuote