Radeon RX 6800 / RX 6800 XT / RX 6900 XT for macOS -> AMD Navi RDNA2 Support add...

Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Radeon RX 6800 / RX 6800 XT / RX 6900 XT for macOS -> AMD Navi RDNA2 Support added in 11.4 Beta  

of  20
  RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@sledgy84, The XFX Merc 319 Black RX 6900 XT is larger overall (340 x 139 x 57 mm) compared to Sapphire Radeon RX 6800 XT Nitro+ (310 x 134.3 x 55.3 mm).

Depending on the Mac you're using, setting up an Radeon card may take a lot of effort. Given bad drivers in Windows and no drivers in macOS atm, I can't say these Big Navi cards are worth paying a premium.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Bob Warren
(@bob_warren)
Eminent Member

@itsage, very good to know.  Been watching this space to try them out at some point when / if supported by macOS.  Thinking seriously this may be a dead end sadly.

I have been concerned eGPU is turning into the new hackintosh.

MacBook Pro 16 2019 - i9 2400, 32GB memory 5500m - eGPU Razer Core X Chroma with RX580

ReplyQuote
sledgy84
(@sledgy84)

TBH I didn't seek out to get a 6800.  I thought the 6900 was the new new stuff and the 6800 was older and therefore more supported.  GPU's aren't exactly my wheelhouse so it was doing my head in researching.  That and the lack of availability kind of limited my options.

Even if apple just said "yep, we will support it in a later release" then cool. So be it.

All I want is something that will help my video grades render a bit faster and smoother.  Was not expecting this much hassle.  Given the shortage of cards I could likely easily offload this one and not really lose $$$

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@sledgy84, I'm betting Apple to release driver support for RX 6800 / 6800 XT / 6900 XT in macOS 11.4. That may be right before their WWDC. I don't think their integrated graphics with the Apple Silicon chips are comparable with discrete options from AMD.

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
ageekinthecity
(@ageekinthecity)

Apparently, 11.3 will bring support to AMD 6000's series.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@ageekinthecity, This is false. Through four beta builds of 11.3, there's no support for Big Navi cards. I tested with an RX 6900 XT myself. No eGPU support for M1 Macs either on the latest build.

ReplyQuote
Rutlemaniac
(@rutlemaniac)

I asked AMD tech support about power requirements for the 6000 series cards used in my eGPU and this is what they said:

"I believe 700-watt PSU is sufficient for the graphic card and please note that AMD has not certified Radeon RX 6000 series retail product for use with EGPU enclosures. AMD does not intend to validate 3rd party vendors that may still decide to support this in their enclosure.  Please contact them directly for details."

I'm confused by this. Does this mean the cards won't work in eGPUs? 

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@rutlemaniac

Members here have posted several build guides for AMD 6000 series cards and Windows ultrabooks.

Check out the Builds database. 

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS 11.1 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
sledgy84
(@sledgy84)

I've been keeping an eye out as much as I can but not really finding much.  For those who are beta testers, what's the latest news on Mac OS 11.3 and finally getting some AMD 6000 series drivers?

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@sledgy84, Not working yet as of the beta 6 build of macOS 11.3. If Apple was to support these RDNA2 cards in macOS, 11.4 is the version to look forward to. Apple needs to address the Mac Pro future and continued hardware upgrades for it at WWDC (June 7-11).

ReplyQuote
 of  20