Radeon RX 6800 / RX 6800 XT / RX 6900 XT for macOS -> AMD Navi RDNA2 Support add...

Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Radeon RX 6800 / RX 6800 XT / RX 6900 XT for macOS -> AMD Navi RDNA2 Support added in 11.4 Beta  

of  31
  RSS

Fran Serrano
(@fran_serrano)

@philw, and other bad news state that this beta 3 could be the last beta before MacOS 12. Very sad, though I would find weird that there would be only 3 betas.

Surf, drums, Java/script

ReplyQuote
philw
(@philw)
Estimable Member

@fran_serrano, It does feel like the only real purpose of 11.4 is to finally get the AMD drivers updated as they somehow failed to squeeze them into 11.3 as we were all previously "told" 🙂

Given up on all my Macs...but successfully running: Gigabyte Designare Z390, Core i9-9900K, 64GB RAM, 2x Internal GTX 1080TI, 2x GTX 1070 eGPU (Sonnet eGFX)

2018 Gigabyte Z390 Designare (GTX1080TIx2) [9th,8C,K] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 350) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Fran Serrano
(@fran_serrano)

@philw, thanks.

But then... Do you think "all" AMD drivers, for Navi 21 and Navi 22 will be filled in? Or just what is so far "told" by Apple about Navi 21? I would be quite dissapointed, TBH. Before this last Intel based MacBook Pro I bought, I was already about to switch back to a PC and Linux, and this is giving me more reasons now.

Surf, drums, Java/script

ReplyQuote
philw
(@philw)
Estimable Member

@fran_serrano, The whole thing is painful in this holding pattern around M1. My guess is that they have some kind of 6000 refresh for the Mac Pro coming to keep those peeps happy until whatever is next - and that is the only reason for any drivers anyway - eGPU is just a useful byproduct of that. I could see that they don't see 6700XT as a Mac Pro addon.

Or, of course, everything just takes SO long!

🙂

I'm just glad that after SO many years I finally have a decent rendering setup on my new Intel iMac with (already half decent) 5700XT Pro inside and twice as fast 6800XT in an eGPU. Its been years in the making, but it finally makes me smile (for now).

This post was modified 1 month ago

Given up on all my Macs...but successfully running: Gigabyte Designare Z390, Core i9-9900K, 64GB RAM, 2x Internal GTX 1080TI, 2x GTX 1070 eGPU (Sonnet eGFX)

2018 Gigabyte Z390 Designare (GTX1080TIx2) [9th,8C,K] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 350) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Fran Serrano
(@fran_serrano)

@philw, you're right. I guess I just have been the unlucky guy in this story. Just hoping for these 6700XT drivers addon.

Of course, in the next generation M1 machines, as you say, the eGPU is, in overall, not necessary anymore.

I wish I would have bought a 6800, instead of my RX6700XT, but still have a bit of hope in the topic.

Surf, drums, Java/script

ReplyQuote
philw
(@philw)
Estimable Member

@fran_serrano, At least its the best ever time for selling GPUs! (if it came to it)

🙂

ReplyQuote
Fran Serrano
(@fran_serrano)

@philw, yes. That was my other option, but what shall I do with my brand new Razer Core Chroma?

Surf, drums, Java/script

ReplyQuote
philw
(@philw)
Estimable Member

@fran_serrano, Put a 6800XT in it (once you've found one for a decent price or traded it for a vital organ)!

It is very frustrating... I'm not thinking about how much I paid last week for mine!

This post was modified 1 month ago

ReplyQuote
Fran Serrano
(@fran_serrano)

@philw, xD

I will think about the trade for a vital organ. Or wait until the market is back into "normal" state again, to upgrade

Surf, drums, Java/script

ReplyQuote
arvin
(@arvin)

@erik_tank,

what I mean was that in MacOS Display system preferences, the 8K options and many other don't show up. (Even when option-clicking to get more resolutions.) They don't show up with the EasyRes app either.

But with SwitchResX literally hundreds of resolutions show up that I have never seen in systems prefs nor even EasyRes. It seams to be all combos of resolutions, frequencies and with/without HiDPI. 

@joevt

here is a screen dump showing the SwitchResX menu with some of the hundreds of resolutions. 8K options only come up in SwitchResX, not the MacOS system prefs. 8K@60hz seams to work with Samsung Q800T TV, although the tiny text on the physical TV looks worse (see photo) than on the "logical" sceen dump from the frame buffer, I would say hardly readable. Either there is some heavy DSC / chroma sub sampling going on, or the TV can't display "real" 8k.

Sceen dump:

8K@60hz MacOS 11.4b3 AMD 6800 xt   SwitchResX Screenshot 2021 05 11 at 11.07.13

Photo of screen:

Photo of Samsung Q800T 8K@60hz

Arvin
Mac mini 2018 i5 64GB RAM, MacOS 11.4, eGPU Razer Core X Chroma with ASUS TUF AMD Radeon 6800 XT
MacBook Pro M1 16GB, MacBook Pro late 2013 i7 16GB

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
 of  31