Radeon RX 6800 / RX 6800 XT / RX 6900 XT for macOS -> AMD Navi RDNA2 Support add...

Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Radeon RX 6800 / RX 6800 XT / RX 6900 XT for macOS -> AMD Navi RDNA2 Support added in 11.4 Beta  

of  37
  RSS

mkzayar
(@mkzayar)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @kid

@mkzayar, PowerColor only uses XTXH on two of its 6900XT models. Beside chip, frequency, and product name, everything else is exactly the same as XTX models. You are lucky to get one of these in the current market but unluckily macOS doesn't support them yet.

Currently there are 6 XTXH models on the market:

ASRock AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT OC Formula 16GB

ASUS ROG-STRIX-LC-RX6900XT-T16G-GAMING

Gigabyte AORUS Radeon™ RX 6900 XT XTREME WATERFORCE WB 16G

PowerColor Liquid Devil AMD Radeon™ RX 6900 XT Ultimate 16GB GDDR6

PowerColor Red Devil AMD Radeon™ RX 6900 XT Ultimate 16GB GDDR6

Sapphire TOXIC AMD Radeon™ RX 6900 XT Extreme Edition

with

ASUS ROG-STRIX-LC-RX6900XT-T16G-GAMING is visually identical to ASUS ROG-STRIX-LC-RX6900XT-O16G-GAMING

PowerColor Liquid Devil AMD Radeon™ RX 6900 XT Ultimate 16GB GDDR6 is visually identical to PowerColor Liquid Devil AMD Radeon™ RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6

PowerColor Red Devil AMD Radeon™ RX 6900 XT Ultimate 16GB GDDR6 is visually identical to PowerColor Red Devil AMD Radeon™ RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6

Sapphire TOXIC AMD Radeon™ RX 6900 XT Extreme Edition is visually identical to Sapphire TOXIC AMD Radeon™ RX 6900 XT Limited Edition (#SKU#: 11308-06-20G) and Sapphire TOXIC AMD Radeon™ RX 6900 XT Limited Edition (#SKU#: 11308-04-20G, replaces one DisplayPort with USB-C)

Hope this helps anyone buying a 6900XT. If anyone want to sell their currently unusable XTXH for cheap then DM me. LoL

Wow @kid What a info. Thanks a lot for the knowledge.

This mean there is no guarantee whether Mac can work with these special 6 cards ,isn't it ?

I am just awaiting Apple Support call back to decide what to do. 

Met someone online who live not far away from me and said he has Windows to test the card so I ran to him. But . .. when I saw his computer I was shock.

He did not lie but he is using Bootcamp windows on same model of my iMac. Tried to login to Mac but whoever set the machine for him is a way and password is not working. Tried to use bootcampdriver to install AMD Driver on Bootcamp. We were able to installed AMD Driver on his bootcamp but only 5700 is showing. Cannot see my 6900XT anywhere except Device Manager. Can see 6900XT on device manager but that it is. Cannot find my 6900 XT in Blender or any of his game. Seems like bootcamp can working only one AMD ?

Then I tried with Parallel Desktop . LOL worst experience. did not know it just use memory as graphic card.

Hope my luck is not run out yet or will need to return all to overclocker back sadly. 

@philw may I know which car are you using ? which model of Powercolour, of course only possible. Thanks.

Mac Pro 2019 2.5 GHz 28-Core Intel Xeon W-3275M - 96 GB 2996 MHz DDR4 - AMD Radeon Pro W5700X 16 GB with Sonnet 750EX and Razer Core X with Sapphire Nitro+ SE RX 6900 XT

ReplyQuote
Kid
 Kid
(@kid)
Eminent Member

@mkzayar, You didn't see 6900XT in windows because you need to manually assign gpu for a specific application to use it when there are multiple GPUs. Settings-System-Display-Graphics settings.

My guess is that Apple will add 6700XT and XTXH support in next macOS beta releasing on WWDC. You could return/sell your Toxic Extreme and get another regular one if you really need it now or you can just wait until next macOS.

2018 15" HP Spectre X360 (VegaMGL) [8th,4C,G] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [build link]  

mkzayar liked
ReplyQuote
mkzayar
(@mkzayar)
Eminent Member

@mkzayar, You didn't see 6900XT in windows because you need to manually assign gpu for a specific application to use it when there are multiple GPUs. Settings-System-Display-Graphics settings.

My guess is that Apple will add 6700XT and XTXH support in next macOS beta releasing on WWDC. You could return/sell your Toxic Extreme and get another regular one if you really need it now or you can just wait until next macOS.

Thanks @kid. Really appreciate your quick reply. I can keep the card if I know for sure it is working. I just scare because no idea

My concerned is just two things. I do not know exactly whether my Toxic Card and Sonnet 705ex are working properly or not. 

Now that is my main focus to find out. If not I must request a replacement. I did not have any intention to send to back when I bought it but I have spent a lot. £2000 for the card, £420 for Sonnet, £130 RX850X plus Y Splitter Cables, £200 Monitor. 

So expensive, and put all I have into this. Now I am just scare. As soon as I know they are working I will be able to sleep.

Regarding multiple GPU in windows, I am not quite follow you because I left windows since Windows 7 so have no idea. But in Blender, all GPU shows up and you do not need to assign as far as I know. Issue is it is not showing up in Blender.

I will try again on Morning if he is available. But I am sure we have spent hours to see the cards by installing Red Edition and Blue Edition but same. Even AMD graphic card application showed only internal, couldn't find my TOXIC card.

Should AMD Application show all available graphic cards ?

Mac Pro 2019 2.5 GHz 28-Core Intel Xeon W-3275M - 96 GB 2996 MHz DDR4 - AMD Radeon Pro W5700X 16 GB with Sonnet 750EX and Razer Core X with Sapphire Nitro+ SE RX 6900 XT

ReplyQuote
Kid
 Kid
(@kid)
Eminent Member

@mkzayar, Sorry I have never used blender before so I don't know how it works. I suggest you test on a regular Windows PC because mixing bootcamp AMD driver and regular AMD driver in Windows is just a mess to deal with. Especially so when it's not your own computer.

Don't be so afraid about card not working. If the fans are working and LEDs are lighting up then it's usually fine.

Just for curiosity how are you gonna fit the 360 mm radiator in the enclosure?

Also just a reminder as I read all your posts, don't ask customer service agents about anything. 99% time they know literally nothing beside the script. Your best option for asking these kind of fit or not question is on this kind of forum. You can find the graphics card size from the manufacture website and you can get size limitation of the enclosure from forum members who have the enclosure on hand.

2018 15" HP Spectre X360 (VegaMGL) [8th,4C,G] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [build link]  

mkzayar liked
ReplyQuote
mkzayar
(@mkzayar)
Eminent Member

@kid, that's what I thought. Now trying to get a PC to test from anywhere. 

Regarding the questions, yeah, you are right about that. I have learned my lesson and it's just a waste of time. Nothing is useful honestly. Thanks for the reminder. Learned the lesson. 

About the radiator I have no clue Grin but on top of the 750ex is not too bad though. I am thinking to ask someone to customised the 750ex cover so I can fix on top. Need to find a place to make that happened like make a runway for the water pipe and holder on top of the case with screw. 

At the moment just looking the fan and colour. Its cool Grin

IMG 1055

ReplyQuote
Kid
 Kid
(@kid)
Eminent Member

@mkzayar, The fans on the radiator is pushing air. With your current orientation, hot air is dumped back into the enclosure. If it’s possible, you should try to let the radiator stand up vertically. Is there any plastic wrap covering the radiator fins? You need to take these off, too.

I want to say you should return this card because it’s just not very convenient for eGPU use and it’s MSRP is already quite inflated. Combine that with (possibly) OCUK’s own scalper’s price, no wonder why these are still in stock. Even the miners won’t buy this. But then in the current market I don’t know when will other cards get back in stock especially in Europe.

mkzayar liked
ReplyQuote
mkzayar
(@mkzayar)
Eminent Member

@kid, Thanks for the suggestions. You mean like this ?

IMG 1063

When I did like above position. I heard some water sound and I though it was in wrong position.  Any position will be fine. The Sonnet box have one giant fan inside which is pushing air out from the box. Nice one. I was also thinking lying on table like this but now you told me the fan is sucking air inside the radiator so it will block the exit. not a good idea. Thanks a lot.

IMG 1064

I also the fins on back radiator. Was thinking to remove it but I thought it is a cover LOL. I am keeping all plastic as it is till it work. 

IMG 1057

IMG 1059

Yesterday I checked OCUK and they have no other cards left. It was plenty of other card like Powercolur, Saphire and another one . Plenty. All just gone. They only left Toxic model left. You are very much right about that no one will buy this unless they are very new like me. I can see some can get from eBay or Amazon but warranty will be issue later. These companies are, I think, waiting to decline any claim. Do not know other place. Right now OCUK price is lower than others.

I will try to get other one which will work for Mac and return this soon as I can. But still need to wait Apple Support.

ReplyQuote
Kid
 Kid
(@kid)
Eminent Member

@mkzayar, Sorry I think my description is a little bit vague. Let me try it again with picture.

12650 IMG1063

If the radiator can stand like this, then you have 1 fan on the card, 3 fans on the radiator and 1 fan in the enclosure all pushing hot air in the same direction while taking up the least amount of space.

mkzayar liked
ReplyQuote
mkzayar
(@mkzayar)
Eminent Member

@mkzayar, Sorry I think my description is a little bit vague. Let me try it again with picture.

12650 IMG1063

If the radiator can stand like this, then you have 1 fan on the card, 3 fans on the radiator and 1 fan in the enclosure all pushing hot air in the same direction while taking up the least amount of space.

Thanks @kid. Yeah, I tried but issue the water pipes are very stiff. keep pushing the radiator and need to take risk.

But If I put fans other sides, the water pipes are very flexible and stay as it is and not pushing at all.

IMG 1068
IMG 1071
IMG 1069

ReplyQuote
Cameron Coombs
(@cameron_coombs)

I am having an issue getting 6900 XT working on my Mac Pro 6,1 Big Sur 11.4. I Have razer Core X, and the 6900 XT is AMD's from them directly. I use to have a Radeon VII in the system last year and had it working, but now I am trying to update everything. The Razer Core and the 6900 XT show in the system but I get no Graphics/Display option. I did a fresh install of the OS and same issue. Under the 6900 XT it say drivers installed "no"

6900 XT

Mac Pro 6,1. (2013). 12-Core 2.7GHz 128GB RAM 1TB SSD, Razer Core X Chroma with Radeon VII 16GB

ReplyQuote
 of  37