Radeon RX 6800 / RX 6800 XT / RX 6900 XT for macOS -> AMD Navi RDNA2 Support add...

Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Radeon RX 6800 / RX 6800 XT / RX 6900 XT for macOS -> AMD Navi RDNA2 Support added in 11.4 Beta  

of  35
  RSS

姜缜
(@adef-rever)

@muxin_tian

Sorry my English is not very good, I encountered "error 12"
The solution is to use
1. https://egpu.io/forums/bootcamp/macbook-pro-16-windows-egpu-error-12-fix/
2. Disable dgpu in the device manager: pcie x16

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Muxin Tian
(@muxin_tian)

@adef-rever, thank you.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
姜缜
(@adef-rever)

@exiom

Sorry, I am not good at using English 🙁

1. Windows versions of 1903 and 1803 can be used, but later versions of windows have not been tested
2. Sorry I don’t understand what a reference card is
My 6800xt has a normal fever and I will add 3dmark scores
3. If you use 5500m, don't use the latest bootcampdrivers.com driver. I used to use the red driver of the August 2020 version with my 5300m

I currently disable dgpu, (pcie x16 is disabled in the device manager). Use the latest bootcampdrivers.com driver to match 6800xt
Can be seen on the homepage
"Adrenalin November 2020 edition (20.11.2 WHQL) (last updated 21/11/20)
Driver Version: 20.45.01.18-201113a-361134C”

ReplyQuote
johnnystar007
(@johnnystar007)

Hi, I want to buy the 6800xt for my Razer Core X and use it in Mac OS. Have you tried using it Mac OS?

ReplyQuote
Bob Warren
(@bob_warren)
Eminent Member

@johnnystar007, Somebody has and inspected on another site.  There are no drivers as of yet (including in 11.1.0 beta.)

MacBook Pro 16 2019 - i9 2400, 32GB memory 5500m - eGPU Razer Core X Chroma with RX580

ReplyQuote
flynnstigator
(@flynnstigator)

Reading this thread, it sounds like we shouldn’t expect the RX 6x00 series to work in MacOS for another couple months, but has anyone been using it in Boot Camp and what has your experience been like? Did you have acceptable performance using Apple’s Boot Camp drivers or did you have to use ones from Bootcampdrivers.com? Did the sound work with one or both of those drivers over DP/HDMI?

The reason I ask is that I started my eGPU journey with a Mid-2015 15” MacBook Pro + Razer Core X + RX 580 combo, and I loved the MacOS experience but hated the Boot Camp one. The stability was good with the Apple Boot Camp drivers and the sound worked but I had weird bugs, slowdowns, and bad performance. The Bootcampdrivers.com ones were a lot better in most respects, but I could never get the sound to work over HDMI. I sold it and bought an NVidia card that has worked great in Boot Camp, but I miss having capable graphics in MacOS.

I know that an RTX 3x00 series card would be a much safer choice for an eGPU and VR user like me, but I don’t want to spend a lot of money on something that I will never be able to use in MacOS, so I’ll only choose NVidia again if people are having serious problems in Windows via Boot Camp with RX 6x00 cards or if we hear that RX 6x00 cards will never be supported in MacOS.

MacBook Pro 15 2015 - i7 4870HQ, 16GB memory M370X - eGPU Razer Core X with GTX 970

ReplyQuote
Bob Warren
(@bob_warren)
Eminent Member

@flynnstigator, I use an RX580 while I wait as well.  It's solid in both for me, but I use bootcamp drivers fro the site vs Apple (Oct 2020.)

I'd say we want to wait and see.  It's anyone's guess if Apple will support the new cards given the Apple Silicon direction.

MacBook Pro 16 2019 - i9 2400, 32GB memory 5500m - eGPU Razer Core X Chroma with RX580

ReplyQuote
flynnstigator
(@flynnstigator)

Posted by: @bob_warren

@flynnstigator, I use an RX580 while I wait as well.  It's solid in both for me, but I use bootcamp drivers fro the site vs Apple (Oct 2020.)

I'd say we want to wait and see.  It's anyone's guess if Apple will support the new cards given the Apple Silicon direction.

That makes sense. Out of curiosity, why use an RX 580 when your MacBook has a 5500m? Isn't that faster than the 580?

MacBook Pro 15 2015 - i7 4870HQ, 16GB memory M370X - eGPU Razer Core X with GTX 970

ReplyQuote
Bob Warren
(@bob_warren)
Eminent Member

@flynnstigator, Great question actually.  So the 580 is -barely- faster due to two reasons.  First being desktop, even with 15% loss due to eGPU TB, it will clock higher and run faster by a little bit.  Second, due to huge throttling of the 16 with heat.  My CPU can really push now and heat/power is great.  Basically I give the majority of the 100w to the CPU and offload the GPU to eGPU.  Overall it's massively better than internal despite the 550m having the same-ish performance of the rx580.

Now, -if- the 6900 XT is ever supported I'll grab one.  I could go with 5700 XT and consider it the last upgrade for the MBP 16 I'll get till i go with Apple Silicon next year.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
flynnstigator
(@flynnstigator)

Posted by: @bob_warren

@flynnstigator, Great question actually.  So the 580 is -barely- faster due to two reasons.  First being desktop, even with 15% loss due to eGPU TB, it will clock higher and run faster by a little bit.  Second, due to huge throttling of the 16 with heat.  My CPU can really push now and heat/power is great.  Basically I give the majority of the 100w to the CPU and offload the GPU to eGPU.  Overall it's massively better than internal despite the 550m having the same-ish performance of the rx580.

Now, -if- the 6900 XT is ever supported I'll grab one.  I could go with 5700 XT and consider it the last upgrade for the MBP 16 I'll get till i go with Apple Silicon next year.

That makes sense, I wouldn't have thought of that!

I'm basically in the same boat, and also considered a 5700 XT to hold me over but those are still going for $400 right now. I'm just going to hang onto my GTX 1660 Ti for now and maybe snag a 3060 Ti if I can. If I hear that 6800 XT's are readily available and running fine on MacOS I'll get one, otherwise the 3060 Ti will deliver my bare minimum VR performance that the 1660 can't quite muster.

In a couple of years I'm expecting a lot of game developers to support the new Macs because it's looking like Apple will clobber the mid-range with the M1X and eventually the high-end gaming market just like they've already clobbered the entry-level with the M1. In the mean time I don't want to invest a whole lot of money into x86 but I'm kind of stuck with it at the moment.

ReplyQuote
 of  35