Radeon RX 6800 / RX 6800 XT / RX 6900 XT for macOS -> AMD Navi RDNA2 Support add...

Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Radeon RX 6800 / RX 6800 XT / RX 6900 XT for macOS -> AMD Navi RDNA2 Support added in 11.4 Beta  

of  20
  RSS

SHEN LIN
(@shen_lin)

I still doubt if Apple will support the 6800XT or not, because they should be putting all their energy into optimizing the M1 chip.

There's another saying that Apple will no longer support new AMD GPU in the future release, so there is possibility that 5 serials will be the last gpus Apple supports, as much as I hate to say it,

Computer: MacBook Pro (13-inch, Intel, 2020, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
eGPU: Razer Core X with Radeon 5700xt

ReplyQuote
Bob Warren
(@bob_warren)
Eminent Member

@shen_lin, Sorry to say I agree.  I think we've seen all the updates we will for this platform.  I also think eGPU may not be continued as an option going forward.  I may be completely wrong here, but given the huge performance of the new platform, I think Apple solved this.  The lacking iGPU performance made eGPU a thing for Intel-macs.  Given it's not an issue for AS Macs, I doubt they need to invest in it.

MacBook Pro 16 2019 - i9 2400, 32GB memory 5500m - eGPU Razer Core X Chroma with RX580

ReplyQuote
SHEN LIN
(@shen_lin)

@bob_warren, Yep, and in addition to what I said. Back in the day, Apple choosed eGPU because of the poor performance of Intel iGPU. Now they designed Apple Silicon, which can beat the s**t out of Intel. However, only a handful of people use eGPU for improving graphics under macOS, most of our eGPU users use it for gaming under Bootcamp, I don't think Apple will take the later scene into consideration.

Computer: MacBook Pro (13-inch, Intel, 2020, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
eGPU: Razer Core X with Radeon 5700xt

jefniro liked
ReplyQuote
Bob Warren
(@bob_warren)
Eminent Member

@shen_lin, agree.  Hack community confirmed no driver support in Beta 1 of 11.2.  Think this is it, 5700 XT is the last supported card so far and likely will be.  May grab one in a while - or - I'll build something else for gaming and move fully to Apple Silicon.  Also, if we get Stadia / GeforceNow for Apple Silicon we don't need these cards for gaming at least. 

MacBook Pro 16 2019 - i9 2400, 32GB memory 5500m - eGPU Razer Core X Chroma with RX580

ReplyQuote
jefniro
(@jefniro)
Reputable Member

@bob_warren, @shen_lin unfortunately I agree 100% with your thought. Apple introduced the support for eGPU only because Intel GPU poor performances... I think we will not see anymore eGPU support for other GPU manufacturers (AMD, nvidia,...) and now we have the answer because Apple never developed drivers for nvidia.

2019 14" HP EliteBook 840 G6 [8th,4C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
benek
(@benek)

I also felt that Apple possibly won't support the 6000 series of GPUs because they're not really moving in that direction any longer… However, I also wonder if maybe they will be obliged to include support for these cards because they're still selling the Mac Pro which naturally has PCI expansion slots. OK, so not everyone uses their PCI slots for GPUs, but many do and Apple sell their own version of the 5700XT, so one could maybe presume that in the coming months they might update this to the 6000 series. Even if they don't produce their own version of the 6000 series, I'm not sure how much sense it makes for Apple to produce a machine that has PCI expansion but then not include support for it. In the longer term, I agree that it's possible Apple will drop support completely for AMD and eGPU (and I really hope that they will offer their own viable alternative), but I'm optimistic that we will see support for the 6000 series of GPUs.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
tsakal
(@tsakal)
Reputable Member

@jefniro,

this has been discussed before however I had some time yesterday and as I recently got a headless adapter I tried my 5700xt in a core x . Geek bench scores are almost double with the headless adapter.

is the same in windows ? in my setup I cannot check as I cannot configure the screens right

screenshot 31
screenshot 511
screenshot 6
screenshot 4
This post was modified 5 months ago

A) 2020 MacBook Pro, i7-1068NG7, 32GB RAM, 1TB, EGPU Razer Core X, Nitro+ RX5700 xt 8Gb, Samsung 49 1440p UltraWide C49RG
Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7, Internal Bootcamp Windows 10 2004 pci.sys swap.
B) 2.7 GHz I7 4 Cores, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2018 TB3 , EGPU Razer Core X, Nitro+ RX5700 xt 8Gb, LG 32UK550
Mac OS Catalina 10.15.2, Ext SSD Windows 10 1903 V1 .295

C) 2.7 GHz I7 4 Cores, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2018 TB3 , EGPU Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 8Gb, Mac OS Catalina 10.15.2, Ext SSD Windows 10 1803

D) 3.1 GHz I7, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2015 TB2 , EGPU Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 8Gb

ReplyQuote
MakeTheMostOfLife
(@makethemostoflife)

I would think it a high certainty that Apple will support the 6XXX series.  Until they have their own desktop GPU chip that outperforms AMD's best offering, for the Mac Pro to be a true "pro" Apple must offer support for the top AMD GPU's available.  It's not exactly a huge deal in work hours to sort drivers out.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
ataylor
(@ataylor)
Eminent Member

@tsakal, So question.. when you say that its a lot faster using a headless adapter... do you have your external screens hooked up to the mac itself.. and just the headless adapter on the egpu?  I.e NO monitor attached to the core-x?  Did you have mirroring on?

2018 MacBookPro 15 in. /w Touchbar - i9 - 32gig ram - 1080 Aorus 1080 Gaming Box - Sonnet-Breakaway550 with GTX 1080 - Still need to get both of the GTX 980TI working for 4 GTX total cards

ReplyQuote
Mymantiz_John
(@mymantiz_john)
Vendor

Posted by: @makethemostoflife

I would think it a high certainty that Apple will support the 6XXX series.  Until they have their own desktop GPU chip that outperforms AMD's best offering, for the Mac Pro to be a true "pro" Apple must offer support for the top AMD GPU's available.  It's not exactly a huge deal in work hours to sort drivers out.

Driver ( kext ) is ready, Apple will support Radeon 6xxx soon. 

Mantiz: ● ●

ikir and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
 of  20