Radeon RX 6800 / RX 6800 XT / RX 6900 XT for macOS -> AMD Navi RDNA2 Support add...

Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Radeon RX 6800 / RX 6800 XT / RX 6900 XT for macOS -> AMD Navi RDNA2 Support added in 11.4 Beta  

of  20
  RSS

Rafael Cichy
(@rafael_cichy)

@itsage, YAY!!! Sounds promissing!

how did you get the 11.3 beta to install?

Greetings from Germany

Mac mini | 6 Core | 64GB | 2TB |
MacBook Pro M1 | 16GB | 2 TB |
3x Mantiz Venus 2 / Radeon Frontier Edition | 2x Razer Core / Radeon RX 6800 & Radeon Frontier Edition |
OS X 11.4

ReplyQuote
Leovinus
(@leovinus)
Estimable Member

@itsage, Well I be... One can always hope for a miracle and that drivers are made available to M1 Macs as well. Hopefully my 5700XT will get a performance/stability boost in my setup as well if there are driver updates.

Do you know if there were new drivers in the 11.2 update as well? My system, so far, has been much more stable and free from green-screens.

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.5 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

My view has evolved. Now I believe Apple will continue slow-walking certain things. You know...like any hint of association with Big Navi.

And that's very smart of them.

Because...Wow - I can only imagine Tim's awkward silence. And his icy stare. The one Tim reserves for supply chain bs.

Helpful parenthetical: (Like when AMD tries to lay out a schedule of delivery for a graphics card based around a large monolithic die).

Partners who don't ship product - and play silly games with semantics - don’t remain Apple partners moving forward.

Source: recent history. Related: "Real artists ship" - S. Jobs

At least (for the stockholders' sake) AMD now deftly re-directs attention towards their future RDNA 3 designs.     

And lately, Dr Su is better at executing the gentle-kick-in-the-shins-under-the-table move on employees talking up 6800/6900 series product. 😝

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS 11.1 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Bob Warren
(@bob_warren)
Eminent Member

@mini-i5, I agree with you.,  I'm curious on the strategy Apple is taking here.  Maybe a Mac Pro update, but I could easily see them moving on and releasing the rumored 32-core m# chip with a 32-core GPU instead.  I don't feel like they really need these third parties right now. 

I'm glad I'm waiting to do anything outside buying the new M1 MBP.  No idea we see any updates.  I'm also very sure no eGPU support will show on Apple Silicon (but I'm hoping.)

MacBook Pro 16 2019 - i9 2400, 32GB memory 5500m - eGPU Razer Core X Chroma with RX580

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@bob_warren, If Apple does not provide hardware upgrades for Mac Pro 7,1 customers after only 2 years on the market, they will lose the pro market for the foreseeable future. Mac Pro users since 2012 have been dicked over too many times imo.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Bob Warren
(@bob_warren)
Eminent Member

@itsage, Well, I'm not so sure really.  The trashcan didn't get upgrades per-say and was on the market for a while.  They simply replaced it.  I can see them keeping the Intel (as-is) model for a while but dropping a new Arm Mac Pro in it's place till they drop Intel completely.  Honestly these M1s work so damn well I don't think this will be an issue.  Seriously I use creative and serious dev tools, these are really good machines.

MacBook Pro 16 2019 - i9 2400, 32GB memory 5500m - eGPU Razer Core X Chroma with RX580

ReplyQuote
Erik Tank
(@erik_tank)
Trusted Member

I got my red devil 6900 xt and plugged it into my mantiz and into big sur 11.2 and it does not fire on at all... the card works fine in my gaming PC though.  I just wanted it all on one system to utilize my three 4K monitors together.  

2019 16" MBP - i9 - 32GB - 5500M 8GB - 1TB SSD w/eGPU 5700XT OC

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@bob_warren, I don't question the performance increase in Apple Silicon and its roadmap. I'm expressing the frustration of many loyal Mac users. The buyers who were after pure performance had left the Mac platform a long time ago.

Apple did a campaign on their collaboration with creative professionals to build the 7,1. Going back to a tower form factor was  a good sign (5,1 Mac Pro are still useful for some). That's why it's unacceptable to build a Mac Pro with all those PCIe slots to have no more first-party hardware upgrades after one year.

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Bob Warren
(@bob_warren)
Eminent Member

@itsage, certainly hear you and understand.  I loved my 5,1 and upgraded it all the way to past Apple spec.  Build loads of hackintoshes as alternatives to the missing desktop tier.  I get he sense they never really wanted to have a machine like the 7,1 in the first place and it's a stop-gap to AS-based versions.  the rumor is they revisit a small form-factor and lose the slots. 

No idea really, I just can see they don't plan to support any new GPUs outside native ones they build.

@erik_tank, Not supported in Big Sur is why.  No drivers as of yet.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@bob_warren, I'm a big fan of headless Macs. SFF headless Macs are even better! My all time favorite is the G4 Cube (still works till this day).

ReplyQuote
 of  20