Radeon RX 6800 / RX 6800 XT / RX 6900 XT for macOS -> AMD Navi RDNA2 Support add...

Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Radeon RX 6800 / RX 6800 XT / RX 6900 XT for macOS -> AMD Navi RDNA2 Support added in 11.4 Beta  

of  20
  RSS

Bob Warren
(@bob_warren)
Eminent Member

@itsage, They are very nice!  I wanted a cube back in the day for sure.  I did find I loved upgrading the 5,1 and m,y hacks.  Things changed now where I value the space saving and upgrades seem fine to add to them external.  Next machine will be desktop.  If the rumor of smaller Mac Pro is true I'll get that over a large tower.

MacBook Pro 16 2019 - i9 2400, 32GB memory 5500m - eGPU Razer Core X Chroma with RX580

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
sledgy84
(@sledgy84)

Ok so I found this forum AFTER making the purchase but has anyone successfully setup an iMac using an AMD Radeon 6800xt?  I spoke with Apple support and one person told me yes it will work and there are documented cases of it.
Spoke with someone else who said go via bootcamp

Spoke with someone else who said no it won't work at all.

Nonetheless I've got a very expensive colourful brick at the moment hahaha

Any thoughts?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@sledgy84, There's progress in the latest 11.3 Beta builds but nothing is certain yet. My guess is Big Navi support will come in macOS Big Sur 11.4 update.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
sledgy84
(@sledgy84)

@itsage, sheesh so two more updates time.
Well, if that's the case then it is what it is. At least I'll be good to go as soon as it's active

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

Developer 2 of 11.3 Beta [20E5186d] came out but support for 73bf, Navi 21 [Radeon RX 6800/6800 XT / 6900 XT] is not available yet.

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
craftsman
(@craftsman)
Estimable Member

Only going to happen if:

A GPU upgrade option appears for the Intel Mac Pro.

There's an Intel iMac update with the 6700/6700XT.

In that case the OS update with the driver will be released at the same time.

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 10.15.1 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

I was able to get an XFX Merc 319 Black RX 6900 XT at Best Buy. Other than the insane price on graphics cards, no macOS support and bad drivers in Windows are the main reason I don't recommend buying Big Navi atm. Also this particular card is so big we don't have many choices for an eGPU enclosure that may fit without any modifications.

I was planning on using the AKiTiO Node Pro but there was no way the enclosure would accomodate the length of this GPU.

Here's the XFX Merc 319 Black RX 6900 XT next to Radeon Vega Frontier Edition Air to show how massive this thing is.

My one other eGPU enclosure that somewhat works with this card is the Mantiz Saturn Pro. Currently the RX 6900 XT sits in the inner carrier and works fine but I can't slide it into the outer enclosure (would hit the back of front fascia).

ReplyQuote
sledgy84
(@sledgy84)

I put mine in a Razer Core X chroma and it seems to fit perfectly fine. No probs at all.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

I tested the RX 6900 XT in Boot Camp mode with my 2019 13-in MacBook Pro. This system already has Radeon drivers configured to work with my RX 5600 XT at work. I kept it at 20.4.2 to make sure the best/most predictable performance in eGPU mode. With the new card, I needed newer drivers so I ran DDU to remove the existing drivers and installed the latest, 21.2.2. Performance in some benchmarks is worse than RTX 3080 Gaming Box.

@sledgy84, Which particular RX 6800 XT do you have?

ReplyQuote
sledgy84
(@sledgy84)

@itsage

Sapphire Radeon RX 6800 XT Nitro+ 16GB - 11304-02-20G

So it worked in bootcamp? Although not that well from the sound of it. I couldn't even get that far so only this morning I binned my bootcamp partition. 

I'm very seriously contemplating get another card to use in the meantime until this thing works

This post was modified 3 months ago

ReplyQuote
 of  20