Radeon RX 6900 XT + Pro Display XDR = 5K only and no presets

Notifications
Clear all

Radeon RX 6900 XT + Pro Display XDR = 5K only and no presets  

RSS

EugeneDae
(@eugenedae)

We're testing the following setup:

All in all it works, but Pro Display XDR only works in 5K, the presets and the brightness controls are missing.

More pics: https://imgur.com/a/ZSi0WRt

Does anybody know:

• Why isn't the Pro Display XDR working in 6K in this setup?
  • What can we do to be able to control our Pro Display XDR properly (presets, brightness etc)?

Thanks!

This topic was modified 5 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Famed Member Moderator

Not sure about resolution issue but regarding Brightness controls it may be similar to the 5K LG Ultrafine where you need a VR cable with USB C and USB A at one end with the USB A connected to the laptop directly and the USB C to the GPU.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node Lite) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: @eugenedae

Why isn't the Pro Display XDR working in 6K in this setup?

Probably because there is an issue with DSC support on macOS Big Sur which is also the cause of this entire thread: https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/4k144hz-no-longer-available-after-upgrade-to-big-sur/

"Desultory reading is delightful, but to be beneficial, our reading must be carefully directed." — Seneca

Author: kryptonitepurge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance
Launching Apps on Specific (e)GPUs on macOS

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
EugeneDae
(@eugenedae)

Posted by: @mac_editor
Posted by: @eugenedae

Why isn't the Pro Display XDR working in 6K in this setup?

Probably because there is an issue with DSC support on macOS Big Sur which is also the cause of this entire thread: https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/4k144hz-no-longer-available-after-upgrade-to-big-sur/

Thanks for your response. In my thread on MacRumors joevt has determined from the output of AGDCDiagnose that DSC is being used:

I don't see a problem. It shows a four lane HBR2 connection with DSC to the 6900 XT so there's no reason 6K shouldn't work.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@eugenedae, thanks for sharing the output, he’s right, DSC is indeed enabled and the connection link looks fine indeed, although it says DSC Status: 3 which I’m not sure about. 0 means disabled, so 3 could be anything here (successful or some other error code or status). Anyway, I haven’t looked deeper into this. Guess we could look at known DSC-only supported configurations (like 4K 144hz) that previously worked in Catalina to verify things. 

"Desultory reading is delightful, but to be beneficial, our reading must be carefully directed." — Seneca

Author: kryptonitepurge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance
Launching Apps on Specific (e)GPUs on macOS

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote