Radeon RX5700XT & mid 2015MBP thunderbolt crashes the system help.

Notifications

Radeon RX5700XT & mid 2015MBP thunderbolt crashes the system help.  

RSS

ihaveamachelpme
(@ihaveamachelpme)

Hi! Recently I bought an RX5700XT to run for my 3d modeling. I have a Razer Core X enclosure and a Radeon RX5700XT card. Two days ago I updated my mac to macOS 10.15.1, one which supports the new Navi architecture. The problem, however, is that when I connect the card to the computer, after a couple of seconds of detecting the card mac freezes and crashes displaying an error screen and rebooting the system.

Oh and by the way, the card does not work in windows either, Error 12 is displayed. I did not yet have a chance to try to run the card on any other computer, but when I plug the card in Catalina, the card is detected as a GPU (when unplugged) but it does not crash anything. 

mid 2015 MBP15, Core X, 5700XT

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@ihaveamachelpme I don't see any builds on a Thunderbolt 2 Mac yet for the 5700 XT. Do you have a different card to try on the same computer? A different computer to try the same card?

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@ihaveamachelpme

Add system configuration to your signature. Ideally system should not crash if you are not using any patches. You require purge-wrangler 6.1.0 to get it running. 

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
ihaveamachelpme
(@ihaveamachelpme)

@mac_editor

Hi! Thank you for your reply. I just tried running the first line of script of purge wrangler and here is what it displays:

[email protected] ~ % curl -qLs $(curl -qLs https://bit.ly/2WtIESm | grep '"browser_download_url":' | cut -d'"' -f4) > purge-wrangler.sh; bash purge-wrangler.sh; rm purge-wrangler.sh

curl: no URL specified!

curl: try 'curl --help' or 'curl --manual' for more information

Is this what i'm supposed to get?

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@ihaveamachelpme

It should be downloading the script. It seems it errored our for you. Try again. I’ll check once I’m home. Otherwise download script manually from releases page and run. 

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@ihaveamachelpme

I checked and the command is working fine. On some occasions when there's too much traffic it may error out.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
ihaveamachelpme
(@ihaveamachelpme)

@mac_editor

I downloaded the shell file from the releases page you suggested, version 6.1. I ran it using sudo, worked fine. Then, after choosing set up GPU, the app asked me to insert the card, which I did, couple seconds later macos crashed again. 

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@ihaveamachelpme

Try setup without the card (unplug eGPU). Press escape when eGPU detection starts, do not enable ti82, choose AMD, do not enable legacy support.

This might be a problem with Catalina as system should not crash with eGPU without patch. 

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
ihaveamachelpme
(@ihaveamachelpme)

OH MY GOD IT WORKED

ReplyQuote
nu_ninja
(@nu_ninja)
Reputable Member

I also had a system crash after updating to 10.15.1 when the egpu was connected without any patches installed. (Though it only happened once, not consistently) After installing purge-wrangler 6.1.0 I haven't had any problems though.

Mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro (MacBookPro9,2) TB1 -> RX 460/560 (AKiTiO Node/Thunder2)
+ macOS 10.15+Win10 + Linux Mint 19.1

ReplyQuote
ihaveamachelpme
(@ihaveamachelpme)

@mac_editor

Omg thank you sooooo much. I tried fixing this for like 2 days straight. Do you know by any chance how to get rid of error 12 in windows tough? I'm ready to do anything to make this work.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@nu_ninja

Thank you for the report. It confirms my suspicions that it is a Catalina bug then (which funnily enough the script fixes by letting the eGPU initialize).

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote