Setup & Software Discussions
Radeon Vega + MBP 10.1 (GT650M) + Bootcamp + Catalina?

Radeon Vega + MBP 10.1 (GT650M) + Bootcamp + Catalina?  

RSS

rmvz3
(@rmvz3)
Trusted Member

Hi there. I have an Akitio Thunder2 with a Corsair PC PSU and a GTX1070OC Mini working flawlessly with my Early 2013 (10,1) MBP for years now (using DIYeGPU script to avoid problems with the internal discrete Nvidia 650 GPU).
Now I want to use the eGPU on Mac side too so, since Nvidia drivers aren't in fact usable, I'm thinking in changing the 1070 for a Vega56 or 64.
- Will it work in Catalina?
- Will it work in Bootcamp?
- Will I need the DIYeGPU script to avoid conflicts with my Nvidia dGPU?

This topic was modified 3 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
ozzy
 ozzy
(@ozzy)
Trusted Member

No idea about Catalina (but it should work with PurgenVDA and the EFI boot). I made the switch from a 1070 to a Vega 56 on the same laptop. On Mac OS 10.14.x it was quite straight forward, just had to use the EFI boot and PurgeNVDA script). Boot camp was much trickier but I got it to work. I had to manually re-install Windows in EFI mode (can’t use the boot camp assistant, but there are guides out there), remove the NVDA drivers, then install AMD drivers, and use EFI boot to get it to work. I’ll see if I can find a couple of the notes I wrote up on this.

2012 15" Macbook Pro Retina GT650M + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS10.13 & Win10

ReplyQuote
ozzy
 ozzy
(@ozzy)
Trusted Member

Here are some notes on how I had to do it (some previous posts on that page also have good notes and links to two people with this model who have gotten it to work):

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/automate-egpu-efi-egpu-boot-manager-for-macos-and-windows/paged/19/#post-58874

I eventually had to replace my PSU also since the one that ships with the Akitio Node just couldn’t handle the Vega 56 peak draw.

2012 15" Macbook Pro Retina GT650M + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS10.13 & Win10

ReplyQuote
rmvz3
(@rmvz3)
Trusted Member

Wow. Thank you very much, Ozzy. That was a really useful answer. I love this community.

Not a big fan of changing my Bootcamp partition for an UEFI mode Windows tho… 🙁
Maybe I just should try to update my macbook to a later one without dedicated GPU first.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote