Razer Core X + MSI RX 5700 XT = kernel panics galore?

Razer Core X + MSI RX 5700 XT = kernel panics galore?  

RSS

vonthing
(@vonthing)

Hey all,

I have a Razer Core X + MSI RX 5700 XT setup, it's running meh-OK so far, even have the build thread here:

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/macbook-pro-13-retina-late-2013-i5-4258u-4th-gen-dual-core-msi-evoke-radeon-5700-xt-8gb-20-gb-s-razer-core-x-tb3-tb2-adapter-macos-catalina-10-15-1/

I said meh OK for the reason that it's kernel panic city unless I plug the eGPU enclosure at exactly the right place at the right time. To summarize:

• Boot with the enclosure plugged in = Kernel panic
  • Hot plug the enclosure and on the next plug in = kernel panic
  • System goes to sleep without the enclosure, then wake, and I plug the enclosure in = kernel panic 

The only consistent way to get the enclosure working so far has been this:

• Clean boot
  • Wait all the way to macOS desktop
  • Plug the enclosure in
  • Wait for the enclosure to get recognized and desktops appear on the external monitors
  • At that point I close the clamshell and the external displays are working A-OK, no problems thereafter.

I should also mention that I have a 1 TB SSD upgrade with the genuine Sintech m.2 adapter using the Crucial 1 TB SSD. However, since my Macbook has the old firmware with the broken NVMe driver, I had to disable hibernation or otherwise I'd get kernel panic when waking back up from hibernation. This is a well known issue with the series of MacBook Pro that I have (MacBookPro11,1) they have a broken NVMe driver in the EFI firmware and the only solutions are to upgrade the EFI firmware (requires a 75$ dongle since I'd be flashing an Apple unsigned EFI firmware and the only way is to access the firmware flash chip directly via an external dongle, bypassing the Apple EFI firmware update mechanism) or disable hibernation altogether (which I did)

I had another kernel panics galore setup with a different graphics card, an XFX RX 590, which I solved by flashing a Sapphire RX 590 BIOS onto the card. Build thread here: https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2013-13-macbook-pro-4th2cu-xfx-rx-590-sapphire-bios-modded-16gbps-tb2tb3-razer-core-x-macos-10-15-1/

I was wondering if anyone had similar experiences with the card in question? (It's a MSI Evoke OC RX 5700 XT) I could either return it and get a more compatible card (Sapphire seems to play well with OSX and I've also read a lot of Powercolor build threads which also seem to work well) or flash a Sapphire or Powercolor BIOS onto the MSI card. Thing is, I felt free to go balls deep all-in with BIOS modding the XFX card since it has hardware dual BIOS functionality I had the peace of mind knowing that I could flick a hardware switch to go back to a vanilla, untouched BIOS to make the card boot again in case I screwed up, but with the MSI card this won't be an option. So it's either flash a known good BIOS and cross fingers.. or return it and get a more compatible card.

So my questions are;

• Has anyone tried to BIOS mod the card I have for better compatibility?
  • If I decide to go the RMA route and get a better compatible 5700 XT what would you guys recommend?

Many thanks...

Oz

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
MSI
Aegus
(@aegus)

@vonthing

What OS version are you running?

2016 MacBook Pro 15in Touch Bar + Breakaway Box 350 + RX 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
vonthing
(@vonthing)

@aegus

Catalina 10.15.1 as in the original build thread..

Already went the RMA route though.. will see if Powercolor will give me less headaches 🙂

Currently enjoying smooth hotplugs and zero kernel panics with the Sapphire BIOS flashed XFX RX 590 card

This post was modified 2 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
MackieWack
(@mackiewack)

@vonthing

Don't bet on it.  See my experience.  I used a PowerColor RX 5700xt and Core X.  In 1909 (current windows/Bootcamp) it was a no-go for me.  From what I've seen, you'll have to accept reinstalling windows to pre 1909 or even pre 1903 possibly.

2017 MacBook Pro 13" (iGPU - Intel Iris 650) with Retina and Touchbar. Windows boot Camp (1909 build 18363.476) + Gigabyte Gaming Box GTX 1070

ReplyQuote
vonthing
(@vonthing)

I'm not using Windows at all, is the (in)stability same for Windows platforms?

ReplyQuote
Aegus
(@aegus)

Do you by chance have a 2 monitors or a monitor connected through DP?

I was getting the same issue. It worked fine in bootcamp, but unable to boot up with my eGPU in MacOS. The only time it would work was on a fresh install and then after it would stop working after a reboot.

I think I solved it. This morning I unplugged my monitor connected through DP and left my HDMI port plugged in. 

Walaa it worked, plugged in my DP monitor and it recognized it. 

Might be worth a try for you.

2016 MacBook Pro 15in Touch Bar + Breakaway Box 350 + RX 5700 XT

ReplyQuote