Setup & Software Discussions
Razer Core X with RX580 doesn't accelerate 13" 2017 MacBook Pro's internal displ...

Razer Core X with RX580 doesn't accelerate 13" 2017 MacBook Pro's internal display when playing games  

RSS

TheTask1337
(@thetask1337)

Hello everyone,

honestly this weekend I have been pretty frustrated getting my eGPU setup working. I thought it would be plug-and-play, since I specifically bought the setup to fit my budget and I chose a supported graphics card. I live in a dorm so unfortunately an external display is a no-go for me due to space and portability. As the title says, I wasn't able to utilize the eGPU for games. 

I bought the Razer Core X and RX580, plugged it in and it immediately got discovered by the MacBook Pro. I was monitoring the eGPU's activity via the Activity Monitor and I confirmed it accelerates my work in Blender and Adobe suite. However, no matter how much I try, I cannot get it to accelerate any games I play ( I tried TF2, CSGO and LoL ). During the game, when I leave the GPU History running and I tab out of the game I see that the internal GPU is almost at 100% and the eGPU didn't do any work.
I did use the setegpu script and I set it to prefer eGPU for all applications. 
I also did try to follow Goalque's video on video on YouTube on How to accelerate internal display with eGPU. I have a headless HDMI but I couldn't get that to work either. I was able to set it up as a primary display and was able to move some apps from the primary display to the other one, however Steam never showed up and neither did the Riot Games Launcher.
Funnily, I realized that if I mirror the displays, then I see the activity of the eGPU spiking to 100%, however I haven't felt any significant performance boost, in fact League of Legends ran on less FPS.

Is there anything I am doing wrong?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208544#apps

Is the basis of set-eGPU on Mojave. So ensure that for a particular game this setting is enabled. If on High Sierra, only set-eGPU is a viable option (auto manages config. for HS).

This post was modified 4 months ago

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
----
Troubleshooting eGPUs on macOS
Command Line Swiss Knife

Multiple Build Guides
----
Current: MacBook Pro RP560X + 480/R9 Fury/Vega 64 | GTX 780/1070
Previous: 2014 MacBook Pro 750M + 480/R9 Fury | GTX 780/980 Ti/1070

ReplyQuote
TheTask1337
(@thetask1337)

If I browse the launch file on Steam for TF2 and CSGO, the file has no option of preferring eGPU. So I tried making a desktop shortcut, that turns out to have the box to check. However, even when launching the game from the desktop shortcut in which I checked to prefer using eGPU, the result is still the same: the activity monitor shows that my eGPU does no work and my internal gpu is at 80-90%.

I tried doing this with all 3 games I play, TF2, CSGO and League of Legends, all with the same result. Does that mean that none of them is supported?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

@thetask1337 I don’t game on macOS, but basically we want to find the app itself that the launcher launches and set its preference. Try finding the actual apps themselves or searching this forum for your specific game(s) in case anyone got it working. Sorry for being unable to help.

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
----
Troubleshooting eGPUs on macOS
Command Line Swiss Knife

Multiple Build Guides
----
Current: MacBook Pro RP560X + 480/R9 Fury/Vega 64 | GTX 780/1070
Previous: 2014 MacBook Pro 750M + 480/R9 Fury | GTX 780/980 Ti/1070

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
TheTask1337
(@thetask1337)

No worries, thanks for some pointers. If I bootcamp Windows, is it easier to get the eGPU working with games being accelerated on the internal display?

ReplyQuote
jet_lam
(@jet_lam)

hello,I have found that there are three app in League of Legends,include "League of Legends", "leagueClient" and "League Of Legends" in Game folder.After setting prefer egpu option in these apps, I can play game with egpu.Now I can play with 150+fps."League Of Legends" in Game folder may be the primary reason.Hope that you can benefit from it too.

ReplyQuote