Setup & Software Discussions
rMBP Mid-14 w/ 750M + 980 Ti w/ AkiTio Node - macOS + Win 10 - Will it work?

rMBP Mid-14 w/ 750M + 980 Ti w/ AkiTio Node - macOS + Win 10 - Will it work?  

RSS

mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

So, I'm looking to create a no-nonsense future-proof eGPU setup to add the much needed additional graphics performance to my Mid-2014 15" MacBook Pro with NVIDIA 750M. 

Equipment

I have decided to opt for the AKiTio Node instead of the Thunder2 because it has everything built-in for getting the GPU up and running (power, etc.). A T3 to T2 adapter is necessary, however, but it ensures that for any future T3 mac I purchase, I have my eGPU ready to go. For a total of about 700 USD, I think its not a bad deal.

I have already ordered the GPU from Amazon, and am awaiting the Node to return to stock before ordering - since it is currently back-ordered. 

I have done as much research as possible looking into how eGPU setups work with my Mac - but haven't had convincing results. I think it will work fine, but would appreciate the input of users of their experience on similar configurations.

I read in another post that the Node works fine on macOS on all versions of Thunderbolt (using appropriate converters) - so I think I am set there. My concerns are primarily as follows:

• How does using this setup affect my boot up process into macOS? - Note that the boot default is macOS.
  • How does using this setup affect my boot up process into Win 10 (bootcamp)? - I use the boot drive selection menu on boot for this.

I am currently running macOS 10.12.4 Dev 7. I am pretty sure 10.12.4 will be out in a week or two - and NVIDIA drivers 3-4 days after. 

I have questions about how the setup would work on Win 10 - in essence, will it be plug and play for me because I already use NVIDIA drivers for the 750M?

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

ReplyQuote
nmzik
(@nmzik)
Eminent Member

Can you please check if "apple_set_os" works for you? I mean, do you see "iris pro 5200" under graphics devices in device manager on Windows? It doesn't work for me since 10.12.4 beta. 

MacBook Pro Late 2013 15" MacBook Pro GT750M + Sapphire Pulse RX580@16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (AKiTiO Node)

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

I just see the 750M. Is it necessary for the iGPU to be visible?

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

I don't wish to use the iGPU at all on Windows. Is it possible to only use the eGPU?

ReplyQuote
nmzik
(@nmzik)
Eminent Member

You CAN use eGPU without IGPU only if you have external monitor or fake LCD. However only with IGPU activated you can play on internal monitor (MacBook's retina display)

MacBook Pro Late 2013 15" MacBook Pro GT750M + Sapphire Pulse RX580@16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (AKiTiO Node)

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

I have two external monitors to work with for that - so I believe I should be fine then. One question though - I would assume that Windows will default to my internal 750M (given that it can't see the iGPU anyway) if the eGPU and displays aren't connected - I mean, there won't be any hiccups in the OS if I run normally when needed (such as on the go) right?

ReplyQuote