Setup & Software Discussions
RX 480 working with 10.12.4

RX 480 working with 10.12.4  

RSS

Daelin
(@daelin)
Trusted Member

okay guys after fiddling around a bit, i have got my RX 480 working again using macOS 10.12.4.

if you won't wait until the automate-egpu script is updated, you can achieve to run your RX 470/480 with the following steps:

1. follow itsage's guide to adapt the kext files for 10.12.4, which alone does not work for eGPUs:

https://www.theitsage.com/install-radeon-rx-480-gpu-macos-sierra/

2. download the automate-egpu script and replace all "9500" appearances with "9510" (sry had to remove the link due to copyright violations)

3. follow goalques instructions as usual

by now your eGPU should run under macOS 10.12.4

WARNING:

other users reported this is not working for the new MBP 2016 with TB3 connectors (you get no acceleration there). If you owning a mac with TB2 or TB1 connection you are good to go. Also using the TB3 <-> TB2 adapter from Apple with a TB3 enclosure works fine.

cheers, Daelin

MacBook Pro 15" 2017, AMD RP560
Devil Box + MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

Bricked thanks to rEFInd:
MacBook Pro 15" Late 2013, GT 750M

nando4 and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Anchoricex
(@anchoricex)
Trusted Member

Classmate just ordered an RX480 today. Thanks for this, cheers!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
allenise
(@allenise)
Eminent Member

You're so great! Thank you!

MacBook Pro 2016 w/ Touchbar, 13-inch (Core i7, 3.2 GHz, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD)
Razer Core + Asus ROG Strix Geforce GTX 1080

ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member

Any performance change? RX480 didn't perform too well in Valley.

MacBook Pro 2018 Touch Bar i7 quad-core 2.7Ghz - 16GB RAM - 512GB PCIe SSD
my awesome Radeon VII eGPU
my Mantiz Venus extreme mod with Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64

ReplyQuote
Daelin
(@daelin)
Trusted Member

i neither benchmarked it before or after, all i can tell you right now is that diablo 3 still runs with 60FPS in highest settings

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

It is not that the RX480 perform bad under valley, it is that you got the real game performances under this bench. When you run valley with and nvdia card you got an higher score but at the end perform the same in game, i.e compared with a GTX1060.

Nvidia optimization compute the max fps it could, so on valley you got the same lower fps mark between the two, but the max fps fairly is higher, the average fps too is higher, but only because it cap 200fps in some light benchmark scene where the RX cap at 160fps for example. On the heavy scene the fps output is roughly the same.

This explain the relative bad result of AMD cards on valley compared to nvidia counterpart. I just consider valley a decent in game benchmark on AMD side, since the output fps is roughly the one i got when i play BF1. On the other side if i only stand on 3Dmark result my R9290 oc should be compared with a RX480/GTX1060, but the overall in game performances are far beyond  a GTX980/R9Fury.

2012 13-inch Dell Latitude E6320 + R9 [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10
E=Mc²

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Anchoricex
(@anchoricex)
Trusted Member

For anyone with a 2016 Macbook Pro:
From the automate-egpu thread, it seems that apple has nerfed the ability to use a dummy adapter dongle with the Sierra 10.12.4 update, nerfing acceleration with AMD cards entirely.  The firmware for the TB3 ports has been updated and there is currently no way to downgrade or fix the issue, downgrading to previous versions of Sierra does not fix this. It would seem that using AMD cards on 2016 Macbook pros is likely on its last legs unless someone can find out how to downgrade the TB3 port firmware, or find a new solution.

Sucks 🙁 

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
kukkis
(@kukkis)
Trusted Member

That no way to downgrade came already on Sierra 10.12.3 and ever since using AMD cards on 2016 Macbook pros has not been possible.

late-2016 13" MBP + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder3) + macOS 10.12.3

ReplyQuote
kotlos
(@kotlos)
Trusted Member

So to clarify things:

RX480/470 can be used according to @Daelin but according to @Anchoricex cannot be used for acceleration? 

I am only interested in acceleration with FCPX so if that can be done with an NVIDIA ...

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Posted by: kotlos

So to clarify things:

RX480/470 can be used according to @Daelin but according to @Anchoricex cannot be used for acceleration? 

I am only interested in acceleration with FCPX so if that can be done with an NVIDIA …

AMD equipped eGPU does not work in macOS 10.12.4 through Thunderbolt 3 connection. An example is RX 480AKiTiO Node connected to Late 2016 MacBook Pro.

Older Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2 connections have been reported as working in 10.12.4.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
kotlos
(@kotlos)
Trusted Member

Thanks ... Now I really look forward to your test with FCPX and GTX ...

ReplyQuote
Daelin
(@daelin)
Trusted Member

sry for my misleading post, i updated the initial post to clarify things 

ReplyQuote
1337LutZ
(@1337lutz)

Just updated yesterday with the 1.0.1 version of automate-egpu.sh. I gained 50-65 more points on Heaven benchmark based on 3 runs before and after the upgrade.

ReplyQuote