Notifications
Clear all

RX 580 in MacOS 10.12.5?  

of  2
  RSS

SilveR316
(@silver316)
Eminent Member

Is there a way to get the RX 580 card working properly in 10.12.5? After running the automate-eGPU.sh script, the card is recognized as R9 xxx and the external monitor works, but its extremely sluggish. 

Running the Heaven benchmark on the internal monitor averages 30 fps, but the external monitor only manages ~3 fps.

Any tips on getting it working properly?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
JDug
 JDug
(@jdug)
Eminent Member

I basically asked this same question in another thread a few days ago and have not gotten an answer.  I guess no one else on the board has tried this.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
torncanvas
(@torncanvas)
Eminent Member

I've only tried with 10.12.6 beta 3, and it was with a 2017 MBP 15" RP560. I saw R9 xxx in sys info, but I tried metaltest, clpeak, and LuxMark, and they all said there was no card.

I modified the goalque script to load different combos of kexts, but nothing worked. However I have had issues even in High Sierra that lead me to believe I may have some kind of device-specific problem, so I can't confirm that someone else would have similar issues.

ReplyQuote
SilveR316
(@silver316)
Eminent Member

Hopefully someone can suggest some things to try that aren't upgrading to High Sierra. I'm unable to upgrade to High Sierra as I need a relatively stable machine and several apps that I use regularly don't work on High Sierra yet.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@SilveR316: I have the RX 480 instead of the 580 and it works well on macOS 10.12.5 with acceleration on the external display. Which mac model are you using?

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
SilveR316
(@silver316)
Eminent Member

Posted by: mac_editor

@SilveR316: I have the RX 480 instead of the 580 and it works well on macOS 10.12.5 with acceleration on the external display. Which mac model are you using?

I was actually looking at your guide but the same steps you list do not work for me. I'm running this on a 2016 15" MBP.

The external display works but has no acceleration. My current issues are:

• No acceleration on external display
  • Slow boot

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Except for the 2016 13" Touchbar, none of the 2016 MacBook Pro models can accelerate an external AMD GPU with Sierra. They do work on High Sierra.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

goalque liked
ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

Posted by: mac_editor

Except for the 2016 13" Touchbar, none of the 2016 MacBook Pro models can accelerate an external AMD GPU with Sierra. They do work on High Sierra.

Correct. Written in red in the starting post of the script thread.

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi

Mid 2015 15-inch MacBook Pro eGPU Master Thread

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 1809 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
SilveR316
(@silver316)
Eminent Member

Thanks for confirming. There's so much information floating around that sometimes its hard to know what the latest details are.

Is this likely to change in 10.12.6? Or will we have to wait until High Sierra to accelerate an AMD card?

ReplyQuote
JDug
 JDug
(@jdug)
Eminent Member

I have a 2017 13 inch with Touch Bar on the way.   Is that your belief  that it will be able to drive the rx580 on 10.12.5?

ReplyQuote
 of  2