RX 580 with the MacBook Pro 13" early 2015 modal and Akitio Node on 10.12.5?

Notifications
Clear all

RX 580 with the MacBook Pro 13" early 2015 modal and Akitio Node on 10.12.5?  

of  2
  RSS

techyowl
(@techyowl)
Eminent Member

I used to have my akitio node running somewhat finicky I might add with a Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070 by EVGA card. I recently decided to buy and us an AMD Armor RX580 8GB modal from MSI and I cannot get it to work under 10.12.5 It doesn't crash the boot up like the Nvidia card did, however after running the Automate-eGPU.sh script version 1.0.1 it would hang with the apple logo and progress bar on boot it doesn't however display the external monitor and the system never picks it up. Goalque's script displays it as an rx470/480 and it also still shows the history of the nvidia web driver install even though I have uninstalled it and removed all nvidia items from the /s/l/e folder and rebooting because it appears to keep a history of installed software and doesn't clean up that log after an uninstall. I have tried booting into the mac using the options button and then plugging in the EGPU and then selecting 10.12.5 still same results of the hanging at boot and eventually no external monitor. I have tried shutting it down unplugging it booting mac os up shutting down and plugging it in and then booting up still didn't work like it did with the Nvidia card. I also tried using the -a flag and removing the a flag as the instruction Goalque put for AMD cards instructed. I cannot make it work. I'm not sure whats going on either. I also am an iOS developer and was able to download macOS High Sierra and test it out and that solves all other problems except the major issue I have is FCPX crashes due to the beta software. I tried disabling my iGPU and that seemed to help with reducing the crashes however It also caused my MacBooks display to glitch out uncontrollably and I need my mac to not be in clamshell mode so it won't sleep without a monitor connected. I turn my monitor off every night and when I leave. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

early-2015 13" MBP Retina + RX580@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Node via TB3->TB2 adapter)

ReplyQuote
techyowl
(@techyowl)
Eminent Member

I still don't have a fix for 10.12.5 however I found a solution based off of another topic's suggestion for the same FCPX error I was having. I downloading a free program call ResExtreme and I applied a 8 bit as opposed to a 10 bit resolution to my external 4k monitor that is connected to the EGPU in 10.13 High Sierra beta. Now it stopped the complete crashing however I was having some weird beach balls that I had to force quit FCPX. I was able to get proxy media loaded up from my library on my 10.12.5 partition and then I was able to edit through 45 minutes of 360 4k 24hz footage from a Gear 360 2017 camera without any lagging. Very nice once FCPX was ready. It rendering a 7 minute video and its still going after 30 minutes so not super fast there but this is beta software so could see it run faster later. its currently at 65%

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Are you running the script twice as instructed by @goalque for AMD chips (pre-High Sierra of course)?

Plug in eGPU > Run Script > Shut down > Unplug eGPU > Boot > Plug in eGPU > Run Script > Reboot. If you don't unplug the eGPU in the middle step, the boot process slows down considerably (so what you see as hanging might actually be this symptom - regardless you can still boot slow and continue the process). Do this with the eGPU plugged into your monitor.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
techyowl
(@techyowl)
Eminent Member

Well I have followed those steps exactly and it's the same problem you described. I also decided to try to run it three times in a row and it still wouldn't load. I have had the monitor connected to it the whole time it's a 4K dell monitor with support of 60hz over Display Port. I noticed my Mac shuts down slower after running the script I went and and ran the -m after trying it with the -a triggered when Goalque said to trigger it and re ran the steps as he stated to no success. I just ran the -m and and -uninstall and I noticed it stated uninstall ready and then ended I rebooted my Mac after and tried running the 1.0.1 script again following the same steps without the -a flag and I saw the first time running it it modified some AMD kexts and the second time it modified IOPCITunnelComlatible however on reboot it just slows way down again and it's only on my MacBook display. Not sure what's going on but I know for certain I'm following the instructions to a T and I cannot get it to work. Even adding some variations doesn't yield in different results. 

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

If I recall correctly, the uninstall option of the script does not properly restore AMD kexts. A modification on line 284 is required - changing -f to -d. It would be wise to reinstall macOS (on top of your existing installation) to restore macOS extensions. Additionally, for your convenience, a reference to some guides that might be applicable here:

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
techyowl
(@techyowl)
Eminent Member

Ok I don't know what happened while I was sleeping but I went to bed by turning off my monitor and turning my MacBooks display brightness off and I woke up this morning to output to my 4K monitor. However the output seems to be glitching really badly to an un usable lagging state however it's outputting through the egpu. I'll try reinstalling macos here soon. And I'll be looking at all of those guides here shortly. Thank you. 

vertice liked
ReplyQuote
techyowl
(@techyowl)
Eminent Member

Alright I reinstalled macOS 10.12.5 via Internet Recovery and I following your implementation guide as it seemed to more related. I have found two things. One the install seems to modify the necessary kexts however it doesn't detect the egpu until I physically power off my dell 4k monitor and power it on. and after that the egpu displayed as an AMD R9 XXX even though its a RX 580 which from what I noticed is normal unless I'm mistaken. I did notice about this Mac shows the display System profiler shows it as a GPU with display attached now but the EGPU won't enable hardware acceleration even after rerunning the automate-eGPU.sh script. This is so weird.

ReplyQuote
techyowl
(@techyowl)
Eminent Member

I swear I did nothing but boot into high Sierra after having a aggravating time working without hardware acceleration and then got tired of that so I rebooted into my Mac OS Sierra 10.12.5 and then it showed the login on my MacBook Pro retina screen and before logging in I power cycled my monitor it had output and then I had hardware acceleration on my EGPU it doesn't make any sense and I have yet to turn of my Mac because of it. I'm literally dealing with an AOG and I decided to let it run until I need to restart my Mac haha. I'll keep you posted if rebooting breaks it when I need to reboot. also I heard the 10.12.6 will have better RX580 drivers I wonder if that will fix my issue?

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Glad you got things working. Looks like the issue is associated with your display. Perhaps a different display/wire might make a difference.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
techyowl
(@techyowl)
Eminent Member

Do you have a recommendation for a display port cable? I think I may have turned off a setting on my monitor called ddc/Ci I don't know if that helped but it is something that allows communication from the computer to the display. 

ReplyQuote
 of  2