Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] [SCRIPT] PurgeWrangler: AMD + NVIDIA eGPUs for all Thunderbolt Macs  

of  184
  RSS

mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

All documentation for the script has moved to Github, and is now nearly complete. Hopefully this more organized document better helps users.

Author: kryptonitepurge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

PsyPryss liked
ReplyQuote
Monotone
(@monotone)

Posted by: mac_editor

@jangoloti It's due to the AMD/NVIDIA conflict that you see lag. Hotplug + logout/login may solve it, or otherwise you may need some additional steps (search the forums).

@monotone When you patch for NVIDIA, thunderbolt checks are automatically bypassed so that status isn't updated (it's for AMD). For your system specifically:

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/mid-2014-macbook-pro-gt750m-gtx107016gbps-tb2-aorus-gaming-box-macos-10-13-6-mac_editor/

@mac_editor — thanks for the reply. Followed the steps in your build guide. Excuse my ignorance in all this, I'm still not seeing anything in terms of booting up from my Sonnet box.

So for a sanity check: Got my Sonnet plugged into a TB2 display port with the TB3 → 2 converter from Apple. Then from the back of the 1080 I have a HDMI to an external monitor. Installed both of your scripts (thank you) with option 2 to install the web drivers and then to disable my internal 750m. 

Restart my Mac and wait until I see the loading bar. I plug in and get nothing? Egpu is essentially off. Any ideas?

Really want to get this to work rather than build a PC around this 1080!  Oops

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)
2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8191 MB (Sonnet EGFX 550)
NVIDIA GeForce 750M
Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

Purge-Wrangler

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@monotone You mean no blue light on Sonnet box at all (assuming everything is powered up and set up correctly)? That’s odd. Ideally the box should light up. Alternatively try hot-plugging eGPU after complete boot, then log out (internal display will go black so set external as main display or log back in blind).

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

Monotone liked
ReplyQuote
michima
(@michima)

Hello,

Thank you @mac_editor for your work.

I just tried `purge-wrangler` on macOS Mojave 10.14.1 using GTX 970.

I was able to have the card detected after install (sip disabled + Ti82 patched).
I was also able to install Nvidia Cuda Driver and get the GTX 970 CUDA cores detected.

I have the following config:
macOS Mojave 10.14.1
MBP Mid 2015, i7 2.6 GHz, 16 GB RAM, AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB
eGPU : ASUS XG Station, GTX 970,1060,2080
Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter

Link to NVIDIA CUDA 410.130 FOR MACOS RELEASE
Version: 410.130 Release Date: 2018.09.19
- https://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-cuda-410.130-driver.html

Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter:
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEL2AM/A/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-to-thunderbolt-2-adapter

XG Station Pro Thunderbolt 3(stock bios):
https://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards-Accessories/XG-STATION-PRO/

Testing results:
- At first boot I had the eGPU plugged and login into macOS failed/freezed (know issue).
- After reboot and hot-pluging the eGPU, I had to logout once more to get GPU properly recognized (know issue).
- Despite logout, the screen stays black on the external GPU ports (tried all 3 ports display ports and 1 HDMI)

So far it works are expected besides the persistent black screen since Nvidia WebDriver is not available caused by macOS Mojave 10.14+ to my understanding. I have Un-installed for now and will keep an eye on nVidia WebDriver release and this thread.

I have also a GTX 1060 and a RTX 2080 I can test, I don't expect it change anything unless missed something, still depend on Nvidia WebDriver update for Mojave to my understanding. 

@mac_editor Let me know if you want me to run a new version of your script on the same Mojave config.
If I need CUDA core I may re-install and confirm CUDA cores performance and make a PR on github.com/mayankk2308/purge-wrangler for CUDA driver install in the menu if works. 

Thank you again.
I think we just need Mojave support and should be good.

macOS Mojave 10.14.1
MBP Mid 2015, i7 2.6 GHz, 16 GB RAM, AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB
Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) Adapter
eGPU : ASUS XG Station, GTX 970,1060,2080

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@michima As you correctly surmise, only web drivers from NVIDIA are needed for full functionality on Mojave. Patch seems to work fine. CUDA installation could be a nice idea. Maybe as an additional question to the NVIDIA patch and web driver install. Seems like the script has become much more than I had initially intended it to be 😉

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
Monotone
(@monotone)

@mac_editor So great news — all working fine and up and running. 😎  

I was losing patience with it all (all on my side your scripts work a treat!) — turns out it was a bad thunderbolt 2 cable after all this! 

Thanks to your build guide and the timed plugging I have my 1080GTX working on my MacBook mid 2014. Now to get Octane running and I'll be sorted! 

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)
2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8191 MB (Sonnet EGFX 550)
NVIDIA GeForce 750M
Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

Purge-Wrangler

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@monotone Great to hear! Please consider adding a build guide to the database sharing your experience at your convenience.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
imcalledandy
(@imcalledandy)
Estimable Member

@mac_editor @michima - am I correct in thinking if you're using NVIDIA GPUs purely for rendering with Mojave, i.e. I don't plug any external displays into them, I connect them to the machine and simply need them for GPU rendering (Octane, Redshift etc) then all I need is to get CUDA working and not necessarily the web drivers or have I misunderstood this?

2013 Mac Pro (FP D700 x2) [3rd,8C,E] + GTX 980 Ti x2 @ 16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.13.1 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@imcalledandy Fully functional web drivers are required. If CUDA could work, then in the same way OpenCL would too, but that isn't the case. I would suggest staying on High Sierra until there is official support from NVIDIA for Mojave.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
imcalledandy
(@imcalledandy)
Estimable Member

Thanks @mac_editor.

Yes, I intend on doing that - I guess it will be a long wait, but hey, I'm also waiting for a new Mac Pro 😉

2013 Mac Pro (FP D700 x2) [3rd,8C,E] + GTX 980 Ti x2 @ 16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.13.1 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  184