Clear all

[Solved] [SCRIPT] PurgeWrangler: AMD + NVIDIA eGPUs for all Thunderbolt Macs  

of  176
  RSS

lqd
 lqd
(@lqd)
Eminent Member

@Tico I have almost the same iMac Pro config like you and everything works fine. Note: Nvidia on iMac Pro gives you CUDA ability and graphic power, but on iMac Pro - Don't connect your monitor to eGPU Box, just always use direct TB3 port (use reduction if it's needed). iMac gpu will care on your displays and Nvidia gives power to software, that supports it. (renderers, simulation apps, some games maybe. etc..) ...(Hot unplug not work - restart is needed)

This post was modified 2 years ago

#iMac Pro #Sonnet Breakaway #Quadro P5000+GTX 1080Ti #High Sierra 10.3.6.

ReplyQuote
lqd
 lqd
(@lqd)
Eminent Member

@Native Color Never start iMac Pro with turned ON eGPU. Turn 'ON' eGPU box always after system is correctly booted. (hot unplug not work, restart is needed.)

#iMac Pro #Sonnet Breakaway #Quadro P5000+GTX 1080Ti #High Sierra 10.3.6.

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@mac_editor
Today my High Sierra got a minor update and neither nVidia WebDriver (which is minor problem if you have a Kepler card), nor you purse-wrangler enable-nVidia function (This is a problem!) seems to work anymore.

It his a known problem or is High Sierra not supported anymore?

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 & macOS 10.15.4 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Tico
 Tico
(@tico)
Eminent Member

Thanks That took care of it. I hadn't been unplugging the Sonnet BA to turn it off first before connecting to my iMacPro. Don't need to do that on my 2018 MBP

☀️θ∆ics🌎
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014),2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB, Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, 2018) I9, 2.9 GHZ 16gb Radeon Pro 560x 4 gb
Sonnet BA 650w (upgraded), Titan V & Sonnet BA 650w NVIDIA gtx 1080
Mantiz Venus RX VEGA 8 gb
iMacPro 64 gig. VEGA 54 using Sonnet BA

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@oliverb Not sure what the issue is. Try uninstall/reinstall. Upgrading typically stops the NVIDIA Web Driver (if used) from functioning and undoes any patches. A future version of the script might handle this better.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: mac_editor

@oliverb Not sure what the issue is. Try uninstall/reinstall. Upgrading typically stops the NVIDIA Web Driver (if used) from functioning and undoes any patches. A future version of the script might handle this better.

@mac_editor I could run a Kepler card (GTX670) by uninstalling NVidia Web Drivers. So your script still works. It seems that nVidia WebDriver won't work anymore with newest build of High Sierra. This may be a big problem for GTX 9xx and 10xx (Maxwell and Pascal cards).

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 & macOS 10.15.4 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
gungus
(@gungus)

I needs some help me thinks. I run a mid 2012 macbook pro (not retina) with eGPU xG station pro and GTI980Ti. The screen connected is a ASUS VG248QE.

To me it made sense to use the Thunderbolt3Unblocker ( https://github.com/rgov/Thunderbolt3Unblocker ), then purge-wrangler (tried with and without TI82) plus purge-nvda. System wise all looks great. Result is the screen is not detected, regardless if I connect via eGPU or not. In Safe boot mode however the screen is detected via eGPU (haven't tried directly but I assume that would work too).

I've back traced and actually as soon as I apply purge-wrangler and purge-nvda the screen gets undetectable regardless if there is a eGPU in between or not. Do you have any ideas on what I can try to make it work? or what is going on?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@gungus purge-nvda disables the dGPU, so external display connectivity would be lost if display is connected directly to Mac. Displays connected to eGPUs would work as expected. What OS? There are no NVIDIA Web Drivers for Mojave.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
gungus
(@gungus)

Ok, good to know. Thanks! Yes it is Mojave, I was sort of  hoping the web drivers had been made available by now. Do you happen to know if web drivers are going to made for Mojave?

I assume the non-availability of webdrivers is what makes it "work" (it's total crap actually but you do get a mirrored screen) via eGPU only?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@gungus,
rumor is that there is a high probability that WebDriver for Mojave never will come. Yes, there is some functionality without WebDriver, e.g. you can see the mouse-cursor, this is rendered by the internal display, of course and very funny, but totally useless.

If you want to stick to nVidia cards, Kepler cards are an option, but of course they are 4-5 years old.

ReplyQuote
 of  176