[SCRIPT] PurgeWrangler: AMD + NVIDIA eGPUs for all Thunderbolt Macs

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] [SCRIPT] PurgeWrangler: AMD + NVIDIA eGPUs for all Thunderbolt Macs  

of  170
  RSS

editor4yourfilm
(@editor4yourfilm)

Sorry if this is obvious, but I am new to this online resource.   Has anyone used -or have any thoughts on- Purge Wrapper with iMac Pro with Mojave 10.14.1 to be used with an eGpu and 1080?  It can be used in Mojave, correct?

I see most of the people here used it with High Sierra.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
philw
(@philw)
Trusted Member

@editor4yourfilm Sorry - no Nividia drivers for Mojave - hence the sticking to high Sierra. Long story 🙂

Given up on all my Macs...but successfully running: Gigabyte Designare Z390, Core i9-9900K, 64GB RAM, 2x Internal GTX 1080TI, 2x GTX 1070 eGPU (Sonnet eGFX)

2018 Gigabyte Z390 Designare (GTX1080TIx2) [9th,8C,K] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 350) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
dfphoto
(@dfphoto)
Eminent Member

Wanted to say thank you to Mac_editor for his software. It is amazing and now my old 2014 Nvidia based macbook pro with a gigabyte RX580 box is working perfectly. I see a nice 30% boost in FCPX,  capture one pro,  and I see some boost in photoshop and Lightroom.... I did a security update in osx 10.13.6 and your software recognized it and asked if I wanted to reinstall your software and it worked (inside terminal). On my particular setup I learned not to use the Purge-nvidia (for laziness) although using it did increase the processing power of the RX580 about 10-15% but it also disabled the screen brightness tool and when not using the RX580 the internal IRIS video card made the computer fan's kick on and ran very hot. In the semi-stock mode I'm in (purge-wrangler and gpu-wrangler-sorry forgot the name) I get a boost and a more normal apple computer. Thanks, David

This post was modified 1 year ago

Pending: 2014 macbook pro Nvidia 750 Gigabyte RX580 gaming box OSX 10.13.6 my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@mac_editor,
I don't want to be a smart-ass as always, but I have correction for this quote of you

"NVIDIA Web Drivers are not required for most Kepler-based GPUs as macOS already includes the drivers,"

Actually it's every, not most Kepler-base GPUs work without WebDrivers. The only one I haven't tested is the Tesla K80 with a GK210, still my bets are on "yes". Really literally every Kepler Chip works.

One thing that has to be considered that not every GPU of the GTX600 and GTX700 series has a Kepler chip. E.g. GTX750(Ti) is Maxwell Based, GT610 is Fermi. GT630 can be either a rebranded Fermi GT430 (wtf?!) or a Kepler GK107 or even GK208 (Rev. 2). It's like roulette on some models.

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 & macOS 10.15.4 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
doncha
(@doncha)

Yes, I tried on my 2011 MBP with failed dGPU.  It works with AMD 590RX eGPU!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
doncha
(@doncha)

Posted by: mac_editor

Has anyone tried with tb1 Mac? Haven’t heard of a success yet and can’t test on my end.

Yes, I did.  And it works!  Even with failed dGPU disabled.

ReplyQuote
topbestmusic2015
(@topbestmusic2015)

Please help. I installed the Nvidia driver on my 10.13.6 the video card is visible in the graphics, 
but it is not in the section on this Mac.
When I use unigine heaven 4.0, it shows 15 fps.
After Effects also uses a built-in intel video card. What to do? How to switch to my Gaming Box 1080?

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@topbestmusic2015 It sounds like you are not using an external monitor. If this is the case, use set-eGPU to ensure applications use the eGPU.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
topbestmusic2015
(@topbestmusic2015)

Yeah, now after effects see gtx 1080, but the rendering time remains unchanged 🙁 After effects use only processor?

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@topbestmusic2015 you can check using Activity Monitor > CMD + 4.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  170