RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

Posted by: mac_editor

@itsage Thanks for the logs! Silly me I should have mentioned before -

Set boot args as follows:

[Please login to see this]

Then recreate issue and provide the log. Would be more helpful. Or maybe just test the next beta, if it works - all good, otherwise logs with this setting Smile

@mac_editor Good news! It was a bug in 10.15 Beta 2. I installed Beta 3 yesterday and the R9 Fury worked without issues now. I will keep this boot args in mind next time I need it. Thank you!

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@itsage good to hear!

Author: purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
EnderElemental
(@enderelemental)

@mac_editor after resetting my computer again and following your steps, this time I also installed set-eGPU.sh. I thought that without the web driver things would be better but the problems remain as they were. I even tried doing the black screen workaround and even that didn't work. Maybe I do have to find a newer GPU though should I?

This post was modified 2 years ago

Computer: iMac 21.5-inch late 2013 2.7 GHz intel i5
iGPU: Intel Iris Pro
eGPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
enclosure: Akitio Thunder2
macOS: 10.13.6

ReplyQuote
ariksaja
(@ariksaja)

Has anyone tried with tb1 Mac? Haven’t heard of a success yet and can’t test on my end.

hello... it's been a while since my life in this forum. so I'd like to report what ogpu.io did to my Mac.
I'm using Mac mini 6.1 which is late 2012 version, with akitio node + Nvidia gtx 1050Ti
As per today ,  I tried to update from Sierra to High Sierra and I did everything and failed, including
automate eGPU EFI 
I don't know why but after I pick macOS or windows the  menu will stop at right there and my keyboard seems not working. so purge-wrangler is my last hope Grin

my osx details are:

System Version: macOS 10.13.6 (17G66)

Screen Shot 2019 07 11 at 19.11.35
Screen Shot 2019 07 11 at 19.05.58
Screen Shot 2019 07 11 at 19.03.02

apparently your script working for my build... Smile awesome job! 

step1 : install Nvidia web driver

bash <(curl -s https://vulgo.github.io/webdriver) 387.10.10.10.40.113

step2 : reboot to recovery mode and disable csrutil
step3 : reboot into normal osx high Sierra and hotplug akitio node
step4 : download and install purge-wrangler , execute. 
step5 : reboot 1 = using hdmi internal and egpu. --> if this okay, then I do second reboot without internal hdmi
step6 : reboot2 = using akitio output only. and yes, it's working!

that's my general step to make it working with my Mac mini late 2012. tested it playing games. yes indeed, you are a legend Smile
thanks a bunch!

Screen Shot 2019 07 11 at 19.03.02
2012 Mac Mini [3rd,4C,Q] + GTX 1050 Ti @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + macOS 10.12.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
iamqk.bsd
(@iamqk-bsd)

@iamqk-bsd installing the drivers isn't the issue - there will be no acceleration of NVIDIA GPUs over that driver so it's pointless.

hi @mac_editor one more thing, I install the web drive as the video described, and gaming box 1080 showed in the system info/card, monitor,
and I connect 1080 to a tv, the monitor info also showed as attached file,
but the tv is black, and also, I cannot see any 1080 in activity monitor or LuxMark,
is there any chance we can accelerate it?

2019 07 12 上午11.16.50

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@iamqk-bsd this topic has already been touched upon on multiple occasions already - consider reading through those posts. The answer remains no. NVIDIA/Apple needs to provide support.

@enderelemental yes, a newer GPU would be a better option. 

@ariksaja good to hear all well with your system. Quick tip that purge-wrangler can install the web drivers as needed as well, so you don’t need to install them separately, in case you were unaware.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
funkyscooter
(@funkyscooter)

Is there a way to just enable TB2 support on a TB3 mac?

Slightly unusual set up.

I have a 2019 iMac 27” and 2019 15” MBP Mojave 10.14.5 (18F203). Both tested and working with Radeon VII in an AKITIO Node.

The card was then swapped into a TB2 Enclosure (Highpoint with 2 TB2 Ports) which loses native Mojave support.

Purge-Wrangler to the rescue. Using a TB3 to TB2 adapter, SIP disabled, and this script, I got the card in a TB2 eGPU running on 2 2019 TB3 Macs. Did a bunch of testing and it worked.

Until today.

Card was not recognised on either system (TB2 Highpoint host is). Dug a little deeper and both systems have had SIP re-enabled (not by me). I have not actively done anything to either set up to explain this.

So disabled SIP again. Checked purge-wrangler status - TB1/2 AMD eGPUs Disabled. This was Enabled after the first time I ran Purge-Wrangler.

It is the same on both systems. Very odd.

So I ran the script again and do not have any option to enable TB2 support which I’m sure I did originally -No thunderbolt patch required for this Mac.

Uninstalled. and Reinstalled. Same.
Recovery and Reinstalled. Same.

Can’t work out what I’m missing here. So frustrating as it just worked the first time.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@funkyscooter I would expect TB2 enclosures to work as expected on a TB3 host, as seen here: https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/external-gpu-macos-10-13-4-update/paged/2/#post-30240

You shouldn’t need any patches. The patch is meant for TB1/2 hosts. There is no concern regarding enclosure interface in macOS - that is to say, the enclosure should work as it normally would with an appropriate adapter. 

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
funkyscooter
(@funkyscooter)

Thanks for the quick reply. I have tied myself in knots I think. Going to take a deep breath and look for the most obvious thing which will hopefully just be re-seating the card.

edit:- And wouldn't you know it - re seating the card card worked.

ReplyQuote
ruslan
(@ruslan)

Confirmed working on Beta 4.

ReplyQuote
 of  183