Clear all

[Solved] [SCRIPT] PurgeWrangler: AMD + NVIDIA eGPUs for all Thunderbolt Macs  

of  184
  RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

Posted by: @mac_editor

@itsage did you face this issue? https://github.com/mayankk2308/purge-wrangler/issues/27

I have not experienced boot hang with the nMP unless the eGPU was connected to Thunderbolt ports other than 5 or 6.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 Gigabyte Z490 Vision D [10th,8C,K] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@oliverb could you test latest version of the script on High Sierra with NVIDIA? Does clamshell mode work for you (TB3 Mac only)?

@mac_editor,
finally I could test the new script.
nVidia worked very well and AMD looks good, too.

[Please login to see this]

This post was modified 2 years ago

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 & macOS 10.15.4 // Navi vs Radeon VII vs GTX 1080 Ti [build link]  

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@oliverb

Thank you!

You are welcome. Clamshell mode works very well, too, but I tested it only with an AMD card.

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 & macOS 10.15.4 // Navi vs Radeon VII vs GTX 1080 Ti [build link]  

ReplyQuote
nsgr
 nsgr
(@nsgr)

@mac_editor

I like to download the nvidia web drivers and install it manually.

It's great to have this page for the "PurgeWrangler for Advanced Users & Developers" document.
An explanation on the page above about the hexadecimal binary values would be good.
How did you find this value and why did you change it for this other value (patch_binary "${extension_to_patch}" "AB02EF" "BB02EF").
This explanation makes it easy for developers to look at future binary files available from Apple.
Like, these binary files you have to pay attention to and these hexadecimal values you need to look for.

- Macbook Pro 15" Early 2011 with failed AMD GPU - Intel HD 3000 and AMD Radeon HD 6750M
- AKiTiO Thunder 2 Box
- ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Mini - 2GB - Nvidia Pascal
- Thunderbolt 1

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@oliverb

Clamshell mode for AMD GPUs was always functional. The new addition is clamshell for NVIDIA. 

@nsgr

Will update the document at next release. 

Author: kryptonitepurge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Amor Mai
(@amor_mai)

@mac_editor

Hello, I have a razer core V1 and rx590 installed on the MacBook, which is not good. After reading your article, I found that these problems can be repaired. What are the specific steps to repair

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@amor_mai

Just run the script as described on GitHub, and choose Setup eGPU.

Author: kryptonitepurge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
naticom
(@naticom)
Eminent Member

@mac_editor if I want to reset PRAM and SMC, should I uninstall purge-wranlger and purge-nvda first?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Civa
 Civa
(@civa)

@amor_mai

Just run the script as described on GitHub, and choose Setup eGPU.

I know I have been annoying you in another thread, however I have decided to give purge wrangler a try, however, after I reached the point where it installed AMD legacy drivers, detected the Hawaii/R9 that is in my enclosure, when it reboots, it goes back to the internal Intel HD 4000 graphics. The system does not see my enclosure, or my GPU card. 
Now, I should point out this is not the Vega 56 I have coming, and I am on high Sierra, on a late 2012 Mac mini , however it DID work before, with the automate thumb drive, and not now. 

As you know, the entire reason I am going to purge-wrangler , is to be able to boot with the eGPU active, instead of having to keep one monitor plugged into the Mac Mini . I also did a diagnostic, and all it sees is the Intel Graphics 4000. I looked for hiccups, and all it gave me was Intel HD 4000. 

SIP is disabled. Is there anything I am doing wrong? 

I'm sorry, I forgot to subscribe to the topic, and thought editing this might enable that. 

Mac Mini (Late 2012) , quad core i7 2.6 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, and Dual internal SSDs, 1 TB and 4 TB

AKiTiO Node Pro AMD Radeon R9 290X

ReplyQuote
 of  184