of  172
  RSS

Netcho
(@netcho)
Eminent Member

@jared_johnson

you do not apparently. Most likely you have like I do 6.0.2

MacBook Pro 2015 15” 2.5 GHz

2015 15" MacBook Pro (R9 M370X) [4th,4C,H] + RX Vega 56 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.14.4 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
PascalB
(@pascalb)

Posted by: @jared_johnson

@pascalb

Well my machine updated to 10.15.1 and now my eGPU isn’t working. How can I confirm I have 6.0.3

Just relaunch the script. The release number is displayed at the top of the text menu

iMac 27" i7 - mid 2013 (dGPU : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4 Go) with 2 TB1 ports - TB1 Port #2 : eGPU : Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 650 OC + Gibabyte Radeon VII - TB1 Port #1 : Akitio Thunder3 RAID Station + Akitio Thunder D3 with SSD inside - External display (NEC Spectraview 27" PW272W connected to Atikio Thunder3 RAID Station Display port (direct connection to eGPU Display port is not supported : black screen)

2013 27" iMac (GTX780M) [4th, 4C,] + Radeon VII @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS 10.15.1 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Jared Johnson
(@jared_johnson)

@pascalb

Will try when I get home, however I feel like I did that yesterday several times. At any rate, thank you for the response! 

Late 2015 27” iMac, 24gb ram Razer box, Vega 64 GPU

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Please be patient. My Mac was out for repair and in typical fashion Apple has formatted it (for no reason). I need to get up and running before I can do anything. I just collected the laptop and am on my way back home. I won’t be giving out any test scripts now or in the future - so no point asking. 

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Posted by: @mac_editor

Please be patient. My Mac was out for repair and in typical fashion Apple has formatted it (for no reason). I need to get up and running before I can do anything. I just collected the laptop and am on my way back home. I won’t be giving out any test scripts now or in the future - so no point asking. 

Sorry to hear they wiped your drive. I wonder how often they decide to replace the entire bottom half when there's major component replacement taking place. I had two keyboard replacements done on 2016 15" MacBook Pro. The first time hard drive was wiped or full bottom half replaced when it was sent out to the repair facility. The second time the hard drive stayed intact when the work was done at the store. The top case with new keyboard, trackpad, and battery was the only new component.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 5600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (VisionTek mini eGFX) + macOS 11 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: @itsage

The top case with new keyboard, trackpad, and battery was the only new component.

@itsage only the top case was replaced so a format was unnecessary. Maybe they did it because system was running beta OS and it was flagged in their internal diagnostics. 

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

I suppose apple is keeping the bad habit of wiping its customer data for security and liability reasons, during the "repair" process.
You don't want an apple random insider begin leaking customer data extracted with the same apple code and tools.
It would be a disaster that can't be easily defended in court even by the best lawyer assault team apple dispose.

This post was modified 9 months ago

2012 13-inch Dell Latitude E6320 + R9 [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10
E=Mc²

2012 15" Lenovo Thinkpad T530 [2nd,4C,Q] + R9 270X @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@wimpzilla

Then they should do it consistently for all repairs (they don’t). Funnily enough my Windows disk is still present so they only wiped the macOS partition.

Apple can’t access your data if your disk has FileVault enabled (XTS-AES-128 encryption with a 256-bit key) - which is the default macOS configuration these days (on T2 Macs this is always enabled, with the option of disabling the password - in a sense, at rest the disk is encrypted regardless). The only thing they can do is erase the drive. In my case they should not have erased it as they just moved the entire board to a new top case (that has new battery and trackpad). Well, at least I got the replacement for free (problem was swollen battery) even though I was out of warranty so I’m not complaining too much - just nitpicking. 

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

wimpzilla liked
ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

You are right not every time the disk is erased, wonder what trigger the disk cleaning procedure, if a specific hardware replacement have to be done for example.
[Edit: yeah in fact the drive is wiped before the machine quit the apple secure environment to reach the 3rd party refurbishing sites]

I suppose that FileVault is similar to the other high end data encryption tools, however often even the most secure tools come with some sort of recovery console.
So i would suppose that apple can actually recover user data from encrypted disks, now if apple did not comply it is another story.
I mean, i have to admit, it is a common practice in the IT field, the data remain encrypted once the unlocking key is wiped out and can only be recovered.
One can only overwrite the existing blocks with new encrypted information, pretty simple and enough secure solution .

This post was modified 9 months ago

2012 13-inch Dell Latitude E6320 + R9 [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10
E=Mc²

2012 15" Lenovo Thinkpad T530 [2nd,4C,Q] + R9 270X @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: @wimpzilla

So i would suppose that apple can actually recover user data from encrypted disks, now if apple did not comply it is another story.

Yes there is a recovery mechanism but it is not possible without recovery key which you can recover from iCloud if you opt in (which Apple cannot get without Apple ID login - so only the user can do it). If the recovery key is also unavailable, then the disk is unrecoverable by virtue of reversing or brute-forcing the XTS-AES key being computationally infeasible. Thus there are only two keys: your password and a created recovery key (which can optionally be secured by iCloud), that can unlock the disk. You can read the T2 documentation which gives more insight into when data is considered lost - one example is too many password attempts (it’s a very high number, but there is a cap), which completely disables T2/storage - rendering all data inaccessible permanently.

https://www.apple.com/mac/docs/Apple_T2_Security_Chip_Overview.pdf

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

wimpzilla liked
ReplyQuote
 of  172