Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] [SCRIPT] PurgeWrangler: AMD + NVIDIA eGPUs for all Thunderbolt Macs  

of  187
  RSS

mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

PurgeWrangler 6.1 is live with support for macOS 10.15.1 for AMD GPUs on TB1/2 Macs. For existing users, simply run the script in Terminal - you will be asked to update. Testers who were using 6.0.3 intermediate builds will also see this update, so they can safely update to the latest release.

"Desultory reading is delightful, but to be beneficial, our reading must be carefully directed." — Seneca

Author: kryptonitepurge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance
Launching Apps on Specific (e)GPUs on macOS

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

nu_ninja and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Jared Johnson
(@jared_johnson)

@mac_editor

You sir, are awesome! Thank you! Saved my butt! 

Late 2015 27” iMac, 24gb ram Razer box, Vega 64 GPU

ReplyQuote
aleigh
(@aleigh)

Really phenomenal, you guys are great.

I have a MacPro6,1 w/ Core X that I had a 580 in with 6.0.2 & 10.15.0 previously, and that worked. although overnight I would sometimes get a panic by the time I woke up in the morning. 10.15.1, 6.1.0 and 5700XT my experience trying to upgrade was that whenever I connected the EGPU it would black-screen and on forced reboot log a panic. This happened with or without purge-wrangler running (where it tells you to connect the EGPU). What solved it for me was running purge-wrangler, NOT connecting the EGPU (hit esc, follow instructions, amd, no legacy) and then rebooting. After THAT reboot, it worked perfect when I plugged it in. I don't know if this is a 10.15.1 thing or left-overs from old purge-wrangler (I did uninstall and it says I was uninstalled, so idk). But it works a treat now. thanks again.

Trashcan Mac Pro, MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports), Core X, XFX 5700XT, XFX 580

ReplyQuote
Netcho
(@netcho)
Trusted Member

@mac_editor

Thank you very much. 

MacBook Pro 2015 15” 2.5 GHz

2015 15" MacBook Pro (R9 M370X) [4th,4C,H] + RX Vega 56 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.14.4 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
곰요
(@yulminch)

Thank you so much! you are my hero 🙂

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

Netcho liked
ReplyQuote
Massimo Luraschi
(@massimo_luraschi)

Hello everyone.

First of all I want to thank @mac_editor for the incredible work he put on this tool. Without this, I would have even been able to try it and ask for help on a partial success.

I am sorry if this is a double, but I have tried to read through the entire discussion, Installation recommendations, Hardware charts,  Troubleshooting and I still cannot find the root of my problem.

Here's my setup:

I have ran the script by following the installation instructions (enabling csrutil beforehand) and after rebooting the enclosure is recognized, the nVidia drivers seem to be recognized, I have an icon in the menubar to switch from Intel to nVidia drivers, but even when using nVidia drivers, the secondary display (attached to Razer Core) is not recognized and "About This Mac" still says "Intel" under graphics.

For the record, this is the log of the guided procedure:

Any help, advice, indications, information would be vastly appreciated.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
philw
(@philw)
Estimable Member

@massimo_luraschi Unfortunately there are no working Nvidia drivers for Mojave or above 🙁

2020 iMac 27" / i9 10-core / 128GB RAM / AMD 5700XT Pro 16GB / 2 x Razer CoreX with 6800XT 16GB + 6900XT 16GB -- Own build Threadripper 3970X 32-core / 128GB RAM / 2 x RTX 2070S 8GB + Quadro M4000 8GB.

2018 Gigabyte Z390 Designare (GTX1080TIx2) [9th,8C,K] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 350) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Massimo Luraschi
(@massimo_luraschi)

@philw

Is that real? Awww maaaaan! Did I misunderstood or the patching of drivers is supposed to fix that?

Any hopes for the future? i.e. updates etc?

Thanks for the reply btw.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@massimo_luraschi

Read the script documentation please. Straight from it:

Why do patched NVIDIA drivers not work on macOS Mojave or later?

In macOS Mojave, Apple removed the necessary APIs that NVIDIA-provided graphics drivers used for accelerating their graphics processors. The script uses a simple check to see if it is possible to run NVIDIA drivers for an older macOS version, and patches it for the new version if so. If not, then patching terminates.

Documentation also mentions why it could not detect your configuration fully automatically (Ti82 - hence you for the option to patch in the first place) - you defaulted to manual mode appropriately. Also, the script output clearly says ‘Patching: Not Advised’ (recommendation for manual mode).

"Desultory reading is delightful, but to be beneficial, our reading must be carefully directed." — Seneca

Author: kryptonitepurge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance
Launching Apps on Specific (e)GPUs on macOS

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Massimo Luraschi
(@massimo_luraschi)

@mac_editor

Once again, thank you for your reply. I apologize if the answer was in the documentation and I failed to get it. I do understand this point:

In macOS Mojave, Apple removed the necessary APIs that NVIDIA-provided graphics drivers used for accelerating their graphics processors.

Although I did not get where it leads. What I mean is it, by reading it, I did not understand what @philw clarified for me: nVidia drivers will not work with Mojave and above. (Is this the case?)

Documentation also mentions why it could not detect your configuration fully automatically (Ti82 - hence you for the option to patch in the first place) 

Got it. That was clear. But:

Also, the script output clearly says ‘Patching: Not Advised’ (recommendation for manual mode).

Does this mean I ran the script improperly and chose not to patch, whereas I should have? (cause I thought I did). I once again apologize if this is clear to everybody and I fail to grasp simple instructions. I appreciate the patience.

This post was modified 2 years ago

ReplyQuote
 of  187