[Solved] [SCRIPT] PurgeWrangler: AMD + NVIDIA eGPUs for all Thunderbolt Macs
I tried that but TM doesn't show that directoty as available for retrieve ??
Don't do it through the Time Machine app (from the menu bar). Go into your disk and retrieve it via Finder please. Also save a copy of the original kext.
Glad you guys have had some success. For me me I'm outa luck.
2012 MacMini - Sonnet Breakaway Box - RX - 580
worked fine until 10.13.4
I've tried all the scripts, none work so far.
Interesting -- same here. I also have a 2012 Mini and an RX580, but with a Mantiz Venus enclosure. Same thing, script does nothing and the external GPU remains unseen by the system. Using script version 1.1.1.
Any reports from anyone using a 2012 Mini in general or a 2012 Mini/RX 580 combo in particular who got it to work?
sudo ./purge-wrangler.sh patch tb1
it didn't work at all, so I uninstalled it and then re-installed it using the tb2 option
sudo ./purge-wrangler.sh patch tb2
and then the screen came right up. I haven't tried version 1.1.0 since everything seems to be working well at this point.
2012 Mac mini users, please try this. Use version 1.0.0 of the script and patch for TB2 and see if it works. In your console logs, when you hot-plug AMD eGPU, please check for an activity related to "AMD" - if there isn't then there is trouble detecting the GPU rather than with the patch because even without the patch, there is "AMD" activity.
Thank you so much for this and getting me back up and running.
However, has anyone else had their egpu performance drop dramatically from 10.13.3 to 10.13.4?
Any Nvidia eGPU success case until now? I'll try it tomorrow if I can retrieve the needed file from Time Machine. Is there any way to know if it is the right version besides the date, by the way?
I 'think' when there are updates the updates will get put into a folder then it reboots to that 'blessed' location to perform the update. Maybe you can detect this?
Finally succeed to mount a Aktio or a Sonnet Box (both with Nvidias GTX1080Ti) into my MBP mid 2015.
Hot plug works but to disconnect we have to shutdown the machine. Trying to eject from the widget will crash the machine.
The method was to install new Nvidia web drivers for 10.13.4, Cuda drivers and NVDAEGPUSuppor-v8.zip.
After exchange the AppleGPUWrangler.kext by the version from 10.14.4 beta 1. Finally use the mac_editor suggested commands to repair permissions.
$ sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/
$ sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/
$ touch /System/Library/Extensions/
the last line was only successful by using sudo, like this:
$ sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/
After I've just restarted and things work as they used to work in 10.13.3. The only advantage now is that we can use the eGPU without the need to logout and log in again.
I've noticed that there's some unsuitability with some apps, like the Luxmark benching app. Agisoft Photoscan also works just fine but, after quit the "send crash log to developer appears. However, despite this small issue, the app works just fine. Blender also sees the Nvidia and can use CUDA without problem.
Waiting for the refining but, for now, seems to be fine.
I was able to simultaneously connect 2 NV 1080Ti eGPU's to the MBP 2015 but they seem to create some instability in several apps. They are recognized by the system but the do not seem to be able to work together. This is probably more a limitation of the TB2 controller of the MBP 2015 because, even before, it was impossible to have 2 eGPU working in this machine.
@techyowl Could you test the latest commit at your leisure? Specifically the backup part (you can simulate an old version of macOS by modifying the manifest.wglr file, then attempting re-patch).
I made another pull request on the GitHub repo. it seems to function really well. I noticed you removed the auto reboot (maybe a silent option would run that but a normal patch could prompt the user Y/n defaulting to yet to reboot on user input) The sea is probably way simpler to implement and may for obvious reasons be more reliable in enforcing structure with the unknown. Changing the .wglr file to have 10.13.3 made it realize it needed to update the backup after that fix I committed. Re-running the patch seems to handle the existing backups. the new version politely ignores the previous backup methods. I also validated the backup contained the TB3 string in its hex like the current stock binary has. I didn't check this between executions but changing the macOS version line to 10.13.3 that forced it to rerun could theoretically overwrite a valid backup however uninstalling and rerunning the patch seems to keep the correct version in the backup directory (given you set remove previous backups or modify the macOS version in the .wglr file so that the patch recreates the backup from an uninstalled(or unpatched) binary).
All that to say if it is used without user modifications, it will be safe.
if you try to use it on an unsupported macOS version like 10.11 or something off like that it doesn't handle that.
Everything else it handles and seems to check reliably.
Also the .wglr extension and superuser permissions are in place to ‘dissuade’ people from modifying it. Not that they can’t. Now we could check that too, but that’d be a bit much lol.