Clear all

[Solved] [SCRIPT] PurgeWrangler: AMD + NVIDIA eGPUs for all Thunderbolt Macs  

of  170
  RSS

mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@manav_mathur

purge-wrangler does not affect/decide how apps use eGPU. That’s up to the app. Read insights into macOS video editing (in my signature) for a bit more insight. 

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
(@manav_mathur)

@mac_editor Further testing is even weirder. First things first - purge-wrangler is working as expected. I can see the external GPU being used by both FCPx and DaVinci Resolve in the GPU History under Activity Monitor. 

1. For FCPx, I had to go to Preferences and select the eGPU from the "Render/Share GPU" selection under "Playback"

2. DaVinci Resolve is where things get interesting. Prores 422 works great - rendering uses the eGPU. Although neither the eGPU or the CPU are being maxed out, and the memory pressure is also low. This looks weird but I don't think this has anything to do with purge-wrangler

Blackmagic Raw does not work. Trying to render causes the system to stop rendering 5-10 seconds into the render process. Running without eGPU seems to be work fine. 

In a nutshell, purge-wrangler is working fine. I need to delve more into Blackmagic RAW processing with eGPU. 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Darkknight
(@darkknight)

Current System is a MacMini late 2012 i7 with 16 gigs of RAM and 1 TB SSD Blue WD.  Had this same issue with a MacBook Pro mid 2015 i7 also...   So had to do a fresh install of Mojave due to the Mac mini not wanting to take the cloned drive from the MacBook Pro.  randomly my system will lock up and the cursor will get larger and kinda 8 bitish looking and will get a larger spinning pin wheel of death.  Mind you when this happens its with a full install of Mojovie with all the different apps I use.  With the Mac mini I did the fresh install I have not had these issues till I installed all my normal items like google back up and sync and avast anti virus and a program called Smart-drive reporter.... then I got the 8bit cursor of death along with the beach ball... this is always solved by unplugging the thunderbolt cable and the systems works again when plugged back in. is there a way to pull the logs and post up what app is really causing this issues.  Currently I have uninstalled avast, google back up and sync and smart reporter.  and have yet to have a lock up.  But I would like to know which one it is because the lock ups are random and not doing certain use of things

MacMini Late 2012 i7 + Radeon RX 570 4GB + Akitio Thunder2 PCIe Box + Dell Power Supply Mod

ReplyQuote
Mac legacy
(@mac-legacy)

Hi, I had my egpu TB3->TB2setup on mbpmid2015 with purge-wrangler in macos catalina 10.15.3.  I am not sure since when but this happened in the previous version too. Recently after I awake my mbp when it is closed and placed vertically for a while, the external monitor does not show the main desktop but the extended clear one. So I imagine if I open the upright standing, closed mbp, the main desktop  should be there. However, the internal display is a black-out. If I try to re-close the lid the outer monitor still lit and nothing seems to change on it. And I unplug the egpu the internal monitor is still black when I open the lid. 

Windows Bootcamp partition seems to be not affected. 

Thunderbolt2 MacBook Pro 11,5 (with r9m370x DGPU)
Successful with:
Sonnet Breakaway Box550 + MSI Rx580 + TB3->TB2 cable

ReplyQuote
_photoguy_
(@_photoguy_)

Hi @mac_editor
I'm back with my laptop not wanting to work.

This time it's even weirder than the last: it rebooted out of some kind of kernel panic (which of course I didn't save, poor thing was up and running for weeks), and then it wouldn't want to load the egpu drivers anymore.

Did a few nvram resets, uninstall and reinstall of purge-wrangler but still nothing: macos sees the sonnet box just fine in the system report, but doesn't load any driver whatsoever and purge-wrangler doesn't detect the amd gpu.
What can I try?

Could this have anything to do with it? (egpu disconnected)

| +-o AppleGPUWrangler  <class AppleGPUWrangler, id 0x10000045c, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (2 ms), retain 10>
    | | +-o AppleGraphicsDeviceControlPlugin  <class AppleGraphicsDeviceControlPlugin, id 0x100000467, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (0 ms), retain 6>
    | | | +-o AGDCPluginDisplayMetrics  <class AGDCPluginDisplayMetrics, id 0x100000468, !registered, !matched, active, busy 0, retain 5>
    | | +-o AppleGPUWranglerClient  <class AppleGPUWranglerClient, id 0x100000504, !registered, !matched, active, busy 0, retain 5>
    | | +-o AppleGPUWranglerClient  <class AppleGPUWranglerClient, id 0x100000573, !registered, !matched, active, busy 0, retain 5>
    | | +-o AppleGPUWranglerClient  <class AppleGPUWranglerClient, id 0x1000005bb, !registered, !matched, active, busy 0, retain 5>
    | | +-o AppleGPUWranglerClient  <class AppleGPUWranglerClient, id 0x1000006b3, !registered, !matched, active, busy 0, retain 5>
__

| +-o IODisplayWrangler  <class IODisplayWrangler, id 0x100000466, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (69 ms), retain 9>
    | | +-o IOAccelerationUserClient  <class IOAccelerationUserClient, id 0x100000544, !registered, !matched, active, busy 0, retain 5>

This post was modified 3 months ago

Mid-2015 Macbook Pro Retina - Core i7 - iGPU Intel Iris Pro - eGPU AMD Radeon RX580 - Sonnet Breakaway 550 - Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter - Screen 1 Dell UP2718Q - Screen 2 Dell U2412M

2015 15" MacBook Pro [4th, 4C, H] + RX 580 @16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + macOS 10.14.6 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@_photoguy_, Consider upgrading macOS as newer versions are available. There is not much I can do to help with eGPU detection - it should be detected by OS as long as all hardware is configured correctly. Also try SMC reset. Logs indicate that macOS is not seeing the eGPU at all. What has changed since last working?

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
jangoloti
(@jangoloti_1)
Estimable Member

Try with another cable, that solved my problems. 

Mac Mini 2018 i7 16 GB 512 GB SSD, Mac Book Pro 2016, HP Z31x, Sonnet Breakaway Box 550 W, Nitro+ RX5700 XT, KFA2 SNPR 1060 6GB eGPU,...

ReplyQuote
_photoguy_
(@_photoguy_)

Posted by: @mac_editor

@_photoguy_, Consider upgrading macOS as newer versions are available. There is not much I can do to help with eGPU detection - it should be detected by OS as long as all hardware is configured correctly. Also try SMC reset. Logs indicate that macOS is not seeing the eGPU at all. What has changed since last working?

I'm on Catalina 10.15.1, and everything was working. Then I suspended with eGPU attached, then when I turned it on it had the panic and rebooted and after that it wouldn't detect the eGPU anymore. No idea what else to check, I'll try the SMC reset.

Mid-2015 Macbook Pro Retina - Core i7 - iGPU Intel Iris Pro - eGPU AMD Radeon RX580 - Sonnet Breakaway 550 - Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter - Screen 1 Dell UP2718Q - Screen 2 Dell U2412M

2015 15" MacBook Pro [4th, 4C, H] + RX 580 @16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + macOS 10.14.6 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
kautame
(@kautame)

Can someone please confirm that this is still working on Catalina 10.15.4? Thank you!

Mac mini server (Late 2012)
Akitio Node + Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB
Monitors: LG 27UD68 IPS 4K
BenQ E2200HD

ReplyQuote
duch cool
(@duch_cool)

@kautame, Confirmed, still working 😉 

This post was modified 3 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

kautame liked
ReplyQuote
 of  170