[SCRIPT] PurgeWrangler: AMD + NVIDIA eGPUs for all Thunderbolt Macs

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] [SCRIPT] PurgeWrangler: AMD + NVIDIA eGPUs for all Thunderbolt Macs  

of  186
  RSS

tomtar
(@tomtar)

I have just bought a razer core X Chroma with an AMD RX5700 XT. If I plug it in my mbp 2019 it works fine and is detected directly.

But on my mac pro 2013 (running Mojave 10.14.6 bootrom 132.0), I tried to plug it with the Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter and an apple TB2 cable and the Razer doesn't light up nor does purge-wrangler detects it. Why would that be? Is there are reason it doesn't turn on? 

I used the purge-wrangler logs but the logs says there's nothing connected to thunderbolt.

In boot camp, it does light up but I get other errors there that I still need to solve...

While I know that I will get better performances on my mbp for playing, the mac pro would be much more convenient most of the times. 

EDIT: It seems to have been a cable issue, when I inverted by TB2 cable, the razer started lighting up again whenever I plugged it in. Purge-wrangler still didn't detect my graphic card though... 

This post was modified 1 year ago

Mac Pro 2013, MBP 16 inch retina, Razer Core X Chroma; AMD RX 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@tomtar, 5700 XT requires macOS 10.15.1 or newer. 

Author: kryptonitepurge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
sturevlad
(@sturevlad)

I don't know why, but very often I get artifacts on the built-in monitor.

экрана 2020 03 28 в 7.36.46

There is nothing like this on an external monitor. And from time to time the system crashes to login screen. I’ve been living with this for six months, I tried to reinstall the system, but nothing changes. Cables are used original from Apple.

iMac mid 2011 21,5' + Aorus Gaming Box Nvidia GeForce 1070

ReplyQuote
_photoguy_
(@_photoguy_)

@mac_editor

I managed to solve it and reproduce it again.

Plug everything in, have everything working, then have a blackout and kernel panic insues.

The result is some stuff is not working anymore among which the gpu drivers for sure. In this specific instance also the bluetooth is not working anymore.
I'll reset NVRAM and SMC and I expect it to start working again, anyway I'll update this post.

Any hints on what to do, who to talk to?

[Please login to see this]

Mid-2015 Macbook Pro Retina - Core i7 - iGPU Intel Iris Pro - eGPU AMD Radeon RX580 - Sonnet Breakaway 550 - Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter - Screen 1 Dell UP2718Q - Screen 2 Dell U2412M

2015 15" MacBook Pro [4th,4C,H] + RX 580 @16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + macOS 10.14.6 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Username
(@username)
Reputable Member

I would say to drop the outdated Horndis USB kext. 
Update to the latest VirtualBox.

Are you running macOS 10.15.1?
any reason why not going for a later version?

Present: 2012 Mac mini + PowerColor RX 56 Vega Nano @10Gbps-TB1 + PowerColor Mini eGFX 180F via Apple TB3 to TB2 + macOS Catalina 10.15.7

Previous: 2012 Mac Mini + GTX1070 @ 10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder3 via Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter) + macOS

2012 Mac Mini [3rd,4C,Q] + GTX 970 @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + macOS 10.12.4 // lots of benchmarks [build link]  

ReplyQuote
tomtar
(@tomtar)

@mac_editor, Yup I realized that afterward, I finally got it recognized by purge-wrangler only to get a message that I need catalina 😕  Should have bought a radeon VII instead... (I like having mojave because it's just so much more stable than catalina)

Mac Pro 2013, MBP 16 inch retina, Razer Core X Chroma; AMD RX 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
_photoguy_
(@_photoguy_)

@username, hi and thanks for the suggestions

horndis usb: I don't know what it is or where it comes from, can you help me find out?

virtualbox: ok

catalina 10.15.1: i usually wait a bit on new releases in fear it may break something (happened before with 10.14.x to 10.15.1)

Mid-2015 Macbook Pro Retina - Core i7 - iGPU Intel Iris Pro - eGPU AMD Radeon RX580 - Sonnet Breakaway 550 - Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter - Screen 1 Dell UP2718Q - Screen 2 Dell U2412M

2015 15" MacBook Pro [4th,4C,H] + RX 580 @16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + macOS 10.14.6 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
dominicperry
(@dominicperry)

[Sorry to re-post, but getting no replies at all in the Thunderbolt/Mac forum:]

Thanks to this forum and  PurgeWrangler , I have put together a working eGPU, as follows.

MacBookPro mid-2015, 15" retina (TB2) MacOS 10.15.3 and 10.15.4

Sonnet Breakaway 550

Sapphire Radeon 5700XT Nitro ('silent' BIOS and 'performance' BIOS)

Old Asus 27" monitor VS278 (1920x1080) 

This works well for the external monitor -  PurgeWrangler  script needed to be run manually as auto-detect didn't work and got caught in a loop, but manual worked as per this post (  https://github.com/mayankk2308/purge-wrangler/issues/44  )

The problem is that my TB audio interface (UA Apollo X8P), was happily working but now crackles and is unusable. There are two TB2 ports on this Mac, but I believe they are both connected to the same Alpine Ridge controller. It doesn't matter which device uses which port, the same thing happens. 

I've also tried chaining the Sonnet after the X8P, which makes no difference.

There are no other TB devices attached to the system.

If I use a USB audio interface, all is fine, so it seems to be a TB problem, rather than a CoreAudio problem.

At 44.1KHz, the crackles are minor - but still constant - several every second. At 96KHz, it's like listening through static.

Does anyone have any suggestions for fixing this please?

Dominic

MBP mid-2015, 15", i7 2.5GHz with AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2 GB, Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB , MacOS 10.15.4, Sonnet Breakaway Box 550, Sapphire Radeon Nitro+ 5700 XT, UA Apollo X8P (not working). PurgeWrangler TB2 EFI hack.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@_photoguy_, horndis is a kext: https://www.joshuawise.com/horndis - uninstall it if you’re not using it. 

Posted by: @_photoguy_

i usually wait a bit on new releases in fear it may break something (happened before with 10.14.x to 10.15.1)

10.14.x to 10.15.x is a major OS upgrade. 10.15 to 10.15.x are minor upgrades and generally improve the stability of systems. I don’t see why anyone would avoid these minor updates (unless they break patches).

Author: kryptonitepurge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
_photoguy_
(@_photoguy_)

Posted by: @dominicperry

[Sorry to re-post, but getting no replies at all in the Thunderbolt/Mac forum:]

If I use a USB audio interface, all is fine, so it seems to be a TB problem, rather than a CoreAudio problem.

At 44.1KHz, the crackles are minor - but still constant - several every second. At 96KHz, it's like listening through static.

Does anyone have any suggestions for fixing this please?

Dominic

I don't think that's a TB issue, most probably it's a grounding issue.

You see the data is digital, so no amount of interference on the data bus is going to be able to cause what you describe because either it's not enough to disrupt the data, or if it is too much your entire device would not work. But both devices work, so the information (audio stream) reaches the destination correctly.

Until the signal is digital, there is no noise, so when can the signal be affected by noise? When it becomes analog again: the DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) uses ground as a reference, and it is possible that this ground is affected by other devices on the bus.

Given the fact your audio box works good without the sonnet, I'd suppose it's something in the sonnet that makes the ground really dirty. Could be the sonnet itself or the video card in it.
Maybe you can check if the sonnet is correctly earthed? Mine has a 3 poles plug, so make sure earthing is connected.
Unfortunately I don't see what else you can do about it without some more complicated equipment (oscilloscope at least) and undertaking (opening up your audio box and checking the ground scheme of the DAC and the voltage levels)

Posted by: @mac_editor

@_photoguy_, horndis is a kext: https://www.joshuawise.com/horndis - uninstall it if you’re not using it. 

Posted by: @_photoguy_

i usually wait a bit on new releases in fear it may break something (happened before with 10.14.x to 10.15.1)

10.14.x to 10.15.x is a major OS upgrade. 10.15 to 10.15.x are minor upgrades and generally improve the stability of systems. I don’t see why anyone would avoid these minor updates (unless they break patches).

Bad previous experience and the fact that my setup is not officially supported by Apple, so it is possible they break it at any time. And I'm really depending on it.

ReplyQuote
 of  186