Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] [SCRIPT] PurgeWrangler: AMD + NVIDIA eGPUs for all Thunderbolt Macs  

of  172
  RSS

Netcho
(@netcho)
Eminent Member

@jeroen-van-keulen, Not without some issues- check my post above.

MacBook Pro 2015 15” 2.5 GHz

2015 15" MacBook Pro (R9 M370X) [4th,4C,H] + RX Vega 56 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.14.4 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
_photoguy_
(@_photoguy_)

Hi @netcho 

Luckily I do not have to go as far as you do. So far Catalina own updates were smooth: 10.15.1 to 10.15.4 I didn't have to do anything at all, just reinstall purge-wrangler which detected the update and triggered the new installation automatically.

From Mojave to Catalina was terrible, I went as far as downgrading and reinstalling everything but I now think it had to do with SMC and NVRAM as the system could not detect the egpu at all.

What makes you do all that stuff you posted above?

Mid-2015 Macbook Pro Retina - Core i7 - iGPU Intel Iris Pro - eGPU AMD Radeon RX580 - Sonnet Breakaway 550 - Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter - Screen 1 Dell UP2718Q - Screen 2 Dell U2412M

2015 15" MacBook Pro [4th, 4C, H] + RX 580 @16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + macOS 10.14.6 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Netcho
(@netcho)
Eminent Member

@_photoguy_, Computer will not boot all the way. It will show progress bar, it will fill it up and that is where it will hang. I have left it for hours there. Catalina 10.15.0 installed with no issues on my MacBook pro 15" mid 2015. After that the problems started. 10.15.1 installed with no issue and then after the first shut down the computer will not load all the way as described above. At that time I have not found the kext work around so I had to reinstall from console and that fixed it. Then 10.15.2 installed with no issue and again after first shut down computer will be stuck at boot screen. At that time I tought it might have to do with kext so I found the solution I wrote in the previous post. 10.15.4 supplemental was the worst. It will start the installation process with the regular reboot at some point and after that boot will load 100% but will not say time remaining or whatever. At that point I killed the mac, booted in recovery, found that csrutil status is enabled, and started the process for rebuilding the kexts. After reboot the mac loaded installation with 10 min remaining and after that it booted ok. As you I had also to run the patch after every update but this is normal. Also after 10.15.3 I think system integrity (csrutil) had to say disabled as the mac would not load at all past the boot screen as described above. It seems like it is getting from bad to worst with every update. The best so far was 10.14.4 or .5. At that the computer will sleep with no issue, but had issues waking up from time to time and apple fixed it by cutting the power to the eGPU completely which made me change the laptop to no sleep when on power.

2015 15" MacBook Pro (R9 M370X) [4th,4C,H] + RX Vega 56 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.14.4 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@netcho, that is a typical symptom of enabling SIP after patching. While rebuilding kext cache could allow you to get away with it, the script requirement has always been to keep SIP permanently disabled for the best experience. If security is a priority - this script should not be used.

https://github.com/mayankk2308/purge-wrangler/wiki/FAQ#can-i-enable-system-integrity-protection-after-running-the-patch

https://github.com/mayankk2308/purge-wrangler/wiki/Beginne r's-Guide#step-2a-disable-system-integrity-protection

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Netcho
(@netcho)
Eminent Member

@mac_editor, I do not argue with what you wrote at all. I run with disabled system integrity since 10.15.3. The problem i experience is not resolved by simply disable SIP. I also noticed the last update of 10.15.4 supplemental enabled SIP by itself too. Hopefully everything will work looking forward. 

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@netcho, updates never enable SIP. I have had SIP disabled (for years) on two macs (one TB2 mac, one TB3) and SIP was never enabled automatically (even with 10.15.4 supplemental). Note that if you reset NVRAM, SIP will be enabled.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

Netcho liked
ReplyQuote
Username
(@username)
Reputable Member

I run my SIP

csrutil enable --without kext

For my Mac mini 2012. And I updated with the 10.15.4 supplemental the other day and everything continued to be enabled without kext and booted up as before.

Present: 2012 Mac mini + PowerColor RX 56 Vega Nano @10Gbps-TB1 + PowerColor Mini eGFX 180F via Apple TB3 to TB2 + macOS Catalina 10.15.4

Previous: 2012 Mac Mini + GTX1070 @ 10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder3 via Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter) + macOS

2012 Mac Mini [3rd,4C,Q] + GTX 970 @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + macOS 10.12.4 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Netcho
(@netcho)
Eminent Member

@mac_editor, That might be it...

ReplyQuote
network_noob534
(@network_noob534)

Posted by: @username

I run my SIP

csrutil enable --without kext

For my Mac mini 2012. And I updated with the 10.15.4 supplemental the other day and everything continued to be enabled without kext and booted up as before.

What does the "--without kext" part do? 

I'm able to use my eGPU with my Mac mini 2012 server just fine -- but cannot use it within Windows, otherwise it simply crashes. 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

Netcho liked
ReplyQuote
network_noob534
(@network_noob534)

Posted by: @mac_editor

@netcho, updates never enable SIP. I have had SIP disabled (for years) on two macs (one TB2 mac, one TB3) and SIP was never enabled automatically (even with 10.15.4 supplemental). Note that if you reset NVRAM, SIP will be enabled.

@mac_editor, Thanks much! I added a comment to that bug. I'm not sure what else I will need to do; but I suppose we shall see! 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
 of  172